Aching/Tingling Wrists & Ankles

Okay – YANAMD (or not mine). And I’ll eventually get around to seeing one (instead of just these damn spots). But –

About a week ago, after a re-siting of my computer that left me with a kind of crappy angle of attack at my keyboard, my right wrist started getting kind of crampy/aching after typing for awhile. I’ve never been diagnosed with carpal tunnel syndrome or the like, and never had much trouble typing for large periods of time. But it got to where I couldn’t type a couple of paragraph e-mail without the crampy, achy, numb feeling in that wrist/hand. Then I started rearranging the keyboard, but also began self-consciously clenching up and typing with weird posture. So I figured that was all it was, maybe inflamed tendons (it started radiating up to my elbow, etc.).

So I rested it over the weekend, didn’t type, soaked in hot water, rubbed it down with a massager.

But it’s back with a vengeance, and now I’m not sure it was really anything to do with typing, mostly, as I’ve got similar numbness, tingling, weakness, shooting pains, in both wrists and now both ankles.

Is this just generic nerualgia and I’ve got a weeklong low level flu? Something else?

I don’t know what neraulgia is, but I would posit your desk posture might be affecting the nerves eminating from your spine. I forget which vertebrae shoot off the major nerves to the arms vs the legs (your hands and ankles example).

But that’s what it was for me. I had a terrible desk set-up and it resulted in poor posture that, combined with a slowly degenerating set of disks for a man of my age, compressed and/or irritated a number of ‘main nerves’ going to my extremities.

More attention to my daily stretching regimen, a new desk set-up, and the discipline to get up every 45 minutes or so and walk around did the trick after a while. The occasional massage every other week doesn’t seem to hurt either, although that may be just a pleasant placebo effect. But I’m not giving the latter up anytime soon.

Hope you feel better.

Tendonitis or carpal tunnel syndrome does not affect other areas. If you’re fatigued, often thirsty, have high blood pressure (itself a possible cause of tingling extremities) or vision problems, you should probably get checked for diabetes.

No matter what, this is serious enough that you should definitely visit a doctor. A simple blood test can diagnose or dismiss most of the possible systemic causes.