"ACORN did absolutely nothing wrong" no longer true

A Class-E felony, in fact.

You sound just like the people defending DeLay after his conviction. “It’s fucking nothing.”

I’ve said it many times before. I don’t think ACORN was treated fairly at all.

But that unfairness does not, in turn, make Diogenes right when he makes these outrageous claims – does it?

Why can’t he – or you – simply say, “Yes, ACORN violated the law here. But that doesn’t excuse the shabby treatment and the rush to judgement they got, does it?”

And I’d reply, “No, of course not. I agree completely.”

Because I do. I’m not the one asserting an absurd, extreme position here – am I?

I hear that someone who worked for ACORN was encouraging his workers to jaywalk to save time while canvassing. The higher up leaders of ACORN knew he was doing this and did NOTHING!

This shows they are a CRIMINAL ORGANIZATION!

But did they do anything wrong?

It’s the law.

A corporate entity guilty of a criminal act is typically punished with a fine.

Why is that laughable?

Wow! That’s serious!

How long will ACORN spend in jail? Do you think ACORN can swing conjugal visits?

So let’s be clear, Whack-a-Mole, your position is that we should never hold corporations responsible for their crimes by making them pay fines? Or are you under the misimpression that the existence of corporate liability somehow trades off with individual liability?

You are the one stirring shit though. And I still don’t believe that you did not do a happy dance when ACORN folded. I have it on video.

I don’t have the ability to view videos on my computer. You’ll have to give me the bullet points.

Are you serious? Have you never heard of corporate criminal liability before? To paraphrase the GEICO commercial, have you been living under a rock?

Jesus! Corporate liability - Wikipedia

Do a bit of basic research. :rolleyes:

We have a guy who worked for ACORN and committed a felony. In this case paying people for every signature they collected.

If that same guy had instead told his people they’d be paid for everyone they killed that’d be a felony too.

In the second case I am pretty sure no one would say “ACORN is guilty!” Nor would ACORN be entering plea bargains.

We’d rightfully say that guy committed a felony and punish him accordingly.

Why is this different?

Of course. In the video, the singer keeps putting things in her bowl, but they always get eaten. It illustrates the concept of “zero” in a very entertaining and easy to follow way.

I might have some DVDs I could send you; my son has outgrown all his toddler and preschool DVDs now and I can see you really need the help.

Says the one trying to neener neener over a trivial plea deal extracted by a partisan DA.

I could explain it to you, but in my experience you’re not really interested in learning these kinds of concepts, unless you sense they will help your position; if they won’t, your invincible ignorance shield usually stays at full power.

Read the Wikipedia article.

Huh…well, that page suggests there is a lot of uncertainty about how to apply this.

Under the criminal laws section I am not sure exactly what to apply in the US but I bet ACORN could make a defense for itself.

However, since the law stipulates a fine of no more than $5,000 why would they bother?

Far cheaper to just pay the $5,000 and be done with it than hire attorneys which would cost far, far more to litigate the case.

So yeah, I am back to my bit about it being a plea and a plea is bullshit to determine actual guilt (yes I know legally they are “guilty”).

A plea deal resulting in a guilty verdict. Offered up by ACORN. Making ACORN guilty.

Pot meet kettle. :rolleyes:

The company I work for gets fined from time to time. The CEO is not liable for that, nor is some manager, nor is some worker, regardless of which one of them created the situation that led to the fine. The corporation is liable.

This is not something that Bricker is attempting to draw full-grown from the brow of Zeus; it’s been around awhile.

I’m horrified that people were paid to get others to register as voters. The implications are … something.

Actually, you have, as usual, no idea what you’re talking about, but that doesn’t slow you down in the slightest, does it?

They were originally charged with multiple felonies.

The plea deal has collateral consequences; they cannot now claim they didn’t commit the acts in any subsequent civil proceeding. It’s highly doubtful they would choose to plead guilty if they had a viable defense.

You seriously believe that they DID NOT pay for registrations?