Acoustic guitar problem - bridge liftage. Help!

My Dean acoustic-electric Performer EA (back row, right) is having a problem. The bottom edge of the bridge is lifting away from the surface of the guitar. From what I’ve read this is a common problem, caused by either heat/humidity or too much string tension. I was considering just fixing it myself, bought myself a new set of extra-light strings and some super glue, and was all ready to do it myself… and I realized that this is my baby and if I screw it up and hurt him I will be very unhappy. So I need advice. The bottom corner of the bridge (the bottom point of that archy-triangle, you can see in the pic) is up about an eighth to a quarter of an inch off of the guitar surface. I have a pretty clear view of the kinda glue-y unfinished wood underneath. It’s basically on the bass end, so I figured I could just take off the 2 or 3 lowest strings, glue that sucker down and hold it for a good while, then re-string. But I don’t want to mess it up.

So, is this something I can do myself, or am I likely to permanently damage my baby boy? Do I really need to hie myself to a professional, and if so, how much is it likely to cost me and how long would I be axe-less? I’m living at school at the moment and am not only poor but a good distance from any good guitar shops, but I want to fix this before it gets any worse.

If you want it done right and quickly, take it to the local guitar shop. The drive will be worth it, and it won’t cost you that much. Make sure they quote you a price up front.

Get thee to a luthier, right away. This is a near-fatal loss of structural integrity for your ax. DO NOT try to fix it at home. There is a ~1% chance that you’ll succeed and any lack thereof will permanently compromise the intrument’s value and performance. Depending upon your finances, consider having the repair done by the factory’s workshop. A ham fisted job will haunt you for as long as you own the guitar.

I’ll third the calls to seek a professional. How long have you had your guitar? You might be able to have it fixed under a warranty (if you have one), as it seems to be a manufacturing fault (unless you’ve put way to thick strings on it or tensioned up to a ridiculous degree).

It’s certainly worth asking around, you never know your luck.

SUPER GLUE???

Sorry.

This is your baby, your lover, your self

Take care of him/her/it/whatever, but do it right, please?

Allow me to add my voice to the posters who recommend professional help.

The fact that you are considering super glue, not using a clamp, and restringing your guitar soon after all suggest that you have not worked with musical instruments in a signficant way. That is NOT meant to be a slam, just pointing out the evidence. We have all been there. The point is - if you dig figuring out how things work and how to repair them, train yourself on junkers, not your baby. I screwed up the pickup on my favorite electric and learned the hard way. A brief conversation with an experienced person (“you mean you don’t touch the copper coils in the pickup?” might’ve saved me a lot of grief…

Well, you shouldn’t use super glue anyway. You would want wood glue and a C clamp. However, if you put on too heavy a coat you will notice it in the tone of the instrument. After you take it to a professional to get it fixed you can get those silica gel packets and leave one in the body of the guitar (until you start playing) and in the case and hope that it sucks out enough of the moisture so it won’t cause future problems.