Actors appearing in different roles in different versions of films

Not sure if it strictly applies as the source is reality and not a specific story, but Hal Holbrook:

Abraham Lincoln in Lincoln, 1974
Abraham Lincoln in North and South, 1985
Francis Preston Blair in Lincoln,2012

John Gielgud plays (a very hammy) Cassius in Julius Caesar (1953), then played the title role in Julius Caesar (1970).

There are quite a few actors who played parts in two or more episodes of one series (Ian Marter, Colin Baker, Karen Gillen, Nicholas Courtney, Freema Agyeman, Eve Myles, etc.) but the OP asked for different versions. I know the continuity continues, but Classic and New Who are different as opposed to appear in episodes of just one of them as different characters.

Nm

Not sure I understand your quibble - ‘The Fires Of Pompeii’ is New Who (Tennant’s Doctor), unless instead of Old vs. New you mean one Doctor vs. another? I think Doctor Capaldi even makes a reference to recognizing the face at some point.

Yes, and Colin Baker was Commander Maxil inArc of Infinity and later the sixth Doctor.

Wait… is the objection that appearances as different characters in this case don’t count because Doctor Who is a single contiguous series? They’re clearly different roles.

I guess the other objection in context of the plot of Doctor Who might be that it retroactively have secretly been the future Doctor putting on an act, thus making it retroactively have been the same role both times… but that wasn’t the intent at the time.

On the subject of TV roles, it should be noted that a year before he became a regular as Col. Sherman T. Potter, Harry Morgan appeared on MASH* as Major General Bartford Hamilton Steele.
Similarly, Art Carney appeared in the very first episode of The Jackie Gleason Show not as Ed Norton, but as an unnamed policeman who gets a container of flour dumped on him.
Neither of these are cases of different versions of the same teleplay, though.

Teri Hatcher a former Lois Lane played the villain Rhea on Supergirl.

Wonder Woman Lynda Carter plays the president on Supergirl.

Not different versions of the same film but different roles within the DC Universe.

The point is that it was routine for actors to appear in different roles in one TV series, especially in the 60s (though it happens in Midsomer Murders even now). People like Burt Mustin and Vito Scotti made careers of it.

The question is to find ones who played in two different versions.

There are two versions of Doctor Who* and only actors who appeared in both would fit the criteria.
Here’s one from Broadway: John Rubenstein played the title character in the original production of Pippin in 1972 and played Pippin’s father in the 2013 revival.
*If you argue it’s all one show, then none of my examples count.

Betty Buckley played the gym teacher in Carrie the movie and played the mother Margaret White in the musical.

Jerry Stiller played dad Wilbur Turnblad in John Waters’ Hairspray and played Mr. Pinky in the 2007 musical version.

Catherine O’Hara appeared in Lemony Snicket’s A Series of Unfortunate Events TV series as Georgina Orwell, an optometrist and Count Olaf’s ex-girlfriend who hypnotizes the Lucky Smells Lumbermill workers so they never leave, also causing them to believe the Baudelaire parents set fire to Paltryville. O’Hara previously portrayed Justice Strauss in the 2004 film adaptation.

Leonard Nimoy appeared in the 1964 Outer Limits episode “I, Robot”, based on the Eando Binder story as newsman Judson Ellis. He appeared in the 1995 Outer Limits remake as lawyer Thurman Cutler, who defended the robot. The episode was directed by his son Adam.

I’d say it is even more restricted than that. It would only count if the same actor appeared in a direct remake of the same story. An actor that appeared in two completely different stories doesn’t count, even if they are different series. And that applies to all series, not just Doctor Who.

As for Doctor Who, there were two films starring Peter Cushing that were direct remakes of TV stories. It would count if someone was in both the TV version and the film, but I’m pretty sure nobody did. I can’t see anything else that would count.

Honestly, if we list every actor that played multiple roles in a TV series, the thread would go on forever, and not be very interesting.

That’s the point I was making, but a remake of TV series is no different from a remake of a movie or a play. There are a limited number of them, and not a lot of people who appeared in the original and the reboot. That’s far different from an actor playing multiple roles in a single series.

Only true if they remake the exact same stories, and the same actor appeared in different versions.

for example: * Clive Swift played Jobel in “Revelation of the Daleks” (classic) and Mr. Copper in “Voyage of the Damned” (new Who).* doesn’t count, because they are completely different stories

Ewen Bremner was Renton in Trainspotting (on stage) and Spud in Trainspotting (the movie).