Acute Pancreatitis

It’s not mundane and it’s not pointless (it IS pretty sh*tty), but I don’t know where else to put it:

My husband is in the hospital with acute pancreatitis. Therefore, I am quite preoccupied and may not be hanging about the board much until he comes home. I’ll be spending a lot of the time I would normally spend reading and posting sitting by his bedisde, holding his hands, and basically providing what comfort I can.

Good wishes, etc., always welcome. So far, the signs are pointing to a good recovery but it’s a horribly horribly painful thing to go through.

Sounds miserable, and hospitals really suck.

But if the outlook is good, that’s all that matters.

Best wishes.

Julie

Been there, done that. I was hospitalized with it a couple of times a few years back. Man, it hurt! They finally diagnosed me with gallstones. The stones were irritating my pancreas. I had my gall bladder out, and I’ve been fine since.

Best of luck to you and your hubby.

Best wishes to hubby, but be warned that he’s likely to be rather irritable in a few days. After the pain meds really kick in and they’ve been off food for a few days, hunger tends to make a lot of pancreatitis patients, um, difficult. Just don’t take it personally.

My dad had acute pancreatitis several years ago. Unfortunately it was misdiagnosed at first as a “routine” gallbladder attack. When the pain kept getting worse, the doctor decided it was pancreatitis and hospitalized him. He recovered and had his gallbladder out a month later. That is certainly not a fun condition for either him or you.

Broomstick , you will be in my thoughts. My dad spent about two and a half months in a VA hospital with pancreatitis just this past Sept./Oct.

I am linking to a website that I got from http://fpnotebook.com/GI151.htm QtheM some good info. I found that I didn’t really get the info I needed from WebMD. This is a little technical but navigable.

Please keep us posted.

I’m sorry to hear about your husband. Hope he recovers as quickly as possible.

Well, he’s been transferred to a regular room as of today. The complaints are up, but I take that as a positive sign. He’s feeling weak and shakey, but he can at least get up and go to the bathroom himself now. LOTS of pain medication, and it’s finally doing him some good since the inflammation is subsiding.

Truth is, he still looks like crap but a fresher, higher quality crap than on Sunday.

They’ve got him on water and clear fluids now, and it seems to be agreeing with him.

I expect he’ll be in the hospital through the end of the week even if he continues to improve at this rate.