Adventure-style PC games suggestions

[sub]Note: Yes, maybe this should go in MPSIMS or IMHO. If it’s not the right place, feel free to shove it over there.[/sub]

I recently bought a brand-spanking-new computer, unfortunately, I don’t have much to do with it right now. That should be fixed when we get a DSL connection hooked up tomorrow (horray!), but I am still looking for a game or two to play on it.

What I am looking for is an adventure-style game. I will have DSL so maybe multiplayer is a possibility to be considered, but I’m not sure if I have the time to commit to suceeding there.

In the past, I have enjoyed all of the Zork games I could get my hands on, various Kings’ Quest as well, and especially Myst/Riven/Exile. I am hoping for something in the tradition of these games, more of a problem-solving nature than a shoot-em-up game. Can anybody suggest some games that they enjoy?

Thank you.

[sub] And before anybody says it, yes the Sims is a great game, but my Win2000 just won’t take it. [/sub]

Any of the Monkey Island games. If you want one that looks good play 3 or 4, 1 and 2 are just as funny but have dated graphics.

The Longest Journey is another recent (1999) adventure game, incredibly good (and I have a crush on whoever does the lead characters voice, even though I have no idea what she looks like :)).

Now, if you don’t mind a bit of role-playing in with the adventure, Planescape: Torment is the way to go. Think Quest for Glory, only better graphics and MUCH more grown up story.

All those games should run fine under win2k.

Unfortunately adventure games are a rarity nowadays. If you want mindless action there’s hundreds of games available.

You also might want to try Monkey-Island’s cousin Grim Fandango.

I was just about the say Grim Fandango but Why A Duck beat me too it. It’s undoubtedly the greatest adventure game to come down the pike. But I’ve thoroughly enjoyed any LucasArts adventure game: Monkey Island, Grim Fandango, Full Throttle, Sam & Max Hit The Road, the Indiana Jones series, Maniac Mansion and it’s offspring. Can’t go wrong with any of them.

Thanks, buys! Now I just have to find one of them…

umm “guys”, not “buys” :o

Should be easy; none sold well :frowning:

If you like creepy games, Sanitarium and Shivers are lots of fun.

Sheri

I’d recommend Deus Ex, myself.

I was thinking of that but it’s more of an action game than an adventure game. Not many puzzles.

Give System Shock 2 a try as well. Quite possibly the creepiest game I’ve ever played. Done by the same team that did Deus Ex, I believe.

Nah, System Shock 2 was a totally different company to Deus Ex. The only thing they’ve got in common is that System Shock 1 was done by the guy who did Deus Ex.

God I’m a game geek :).

I’m going to be entirely redundant and second Grim Fandango again. That was so good it hurt when it finished.

I don’t understand why people didn’t play these games. It’s hardly fair that they only come along once in a blue moon. I wasn’t so keen on Monkey Island 4, though, I felt the control system was a step back from Grim Fandango and the humour felt forced. But hey, it was years after I’d played the first couple.

Nah, I’d agree with you on Monkey Island 4; I never actually finished it, and I still play through Monkey Island 1 and 2 once a year or so – usually at the request of my sister, who thinks of them as really good cartoons that I have to control for her to watch.

The Longest Journey is absolutely my favorite of the genre. Wow. If there had been any justice in the world, it would have saved the genre from the damage done by Myst and its clones. Monkey Island III was also exemplary.

You might want to look into Dreamcatchers, which is a company that’s selling adventure titles from various sources at $20-$30. If you’d like a review before you buy, you can check out Just Adventure.

The Official Top 12 Graphical Adventure Games of all Time (according to Number Six)

1. Sanitarium
  2. Grim Fandango
  3. Sam and Max Hit the Road
  4. Day of the Tentacle
  5. The Longest Journey
  6. Gabriel Knight 2, The Beast Within
  7. Full Throttle
  8. Freddy Pharkas, Frontier Pharmacist
  9. The Curse of Monkey Island
  10. Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
  11. Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers
  12. Rex Nebular and the Cosmic Gender Bender

Honorable mention: The Adventures of Willy Beamish

Baldur’s Gate II was pretty cool. Great storyline. Lots of game play to get to the end. Additionally, it has a lot of replay value, too. You can play it as a good guy, middle of the road, a bad guy, whatever. You can play multiple different types of character, all of which have specific quests related to them built into the main storyline. You can even develop a romance with one of four npcs.

Only caveat is that the first part (which is really quite short, so this isn’t a big problem) is not nearly as good as the parts that follow it.

Brought to you by the Department of Redundancy Department.

I’ll throw my votes behind the Gabriel Knight series and Sam and Max. Fun, fun, fun.