Advertising question

When I advertise a product am I permitted to use a picture of the deluxe model with all accessories and highlighting the sale price of the lesser model? I would still be including the sale pricing for the deluxe model though not highlighted. I would also include the pricing for the accessories, which are to be sold separately, and I would include the disclaimer that accessories were sold separately. There would be no disclaimer that I have pictured the deluxe model as it would be assumed the customer would realise this because I am including the fact that the deluxe model is also being sold at a reduced prices.
So pictured deluxe model with accessories and major highlighting of sale price for base model. And in much smaller print including deluxe model pricing and the only disclaimer being “accessories sold separately”.
I hope this question makes sense the way I have outlined it. This is of course not something I would do. I am trying to show someone else, as I believe this is deceptive and I think also illegal although I could be wrong.

I think you will need to include this disclaimer; whenever I’ve seen, for example, car ads, the advertised price is rarely for the beast they show plowing through the underbrush. But there is a line of copy on the screen stating which model/package is shown.

Lawyers who are not your lawyer and advertising people will probably be along soon who will know better, but pretty much what you’re proposing is unethical, if not illegal.

Which pretty much agrees with what I am saying with the last line of the OP.

…It’s this clarification that I’m after. The person who is actually doing this is telling me the practise is common and legal. I am being told that because the price for the deluxe model has also been reduced for the purpose of this sale so no disclaimer is needed to show the model feature in the picture is not the model offered at the price in 48 point font directly above it, but in fact the higher price in a much smaller font in the small print. I then asked that if the prices for the accessories are also being listed in the small print, then why the need for the disclaimer about the accessories if the same conditions don’t warrant a disclaimer about the model pictured.

This would seem strange to me and the other party was either unable or unwilling to give me any answer to this question.

It’s probably legal. Especially if you include those disclaimers, even in tiny print. You see this kind of stuff in ads all the time. Look at the pictures on nearly every box in the grocery store.

And, yes, it’s deceptive. But, really, what advertising isn’t? Isn’t that the point?

You might try pointing out to him that he might make one sale to a customer, but he sure won’t get any repeat business from customers who feel they’ve been conned. And he’ll end up spending a lot of time dealing with customers who call because the item that arrived doesn’t look like the one in the picture. Even if they don’t have any legal recourse (vbecause he had a disclaimer in the tiny print), the time they take up is non-productive time for his business – he isn’t getting any work done.

That argument might have some effect on him. Because it doesn’t sound like going on about ethics and such will have much impact on him.