Advice: Getting into Investment Banking/P.E. Industry...Crash Courses Helpful?

TO: Professionals and recruiters in the related field who were not insta-hires out of College from internships or impressive credentials.

It’s a competitive industry to enter and not being an Ivy League grad or with a top-notch internship, I find that it can be most difficult in landing an entry level “analyst” position with an IB/Hedge Fund/Prop Trading firm etc…

I’ve exhausted online resources and career sites to no avail until I stumbled upon this site: http://www.ibtraining.com/

It’s basically a 4 week crash course in the basics which includes step by step financial modeling and many other related material that you would never see in any undergrad degree in Finance. In fact, the course is setup as more of what you’d expect from the training process as a new-hire in a firm rather than a class.

Has anyone completed this course and can give an unbiased review?

The site claims that successful completion of the course will provide something to put on the resume. This is potentially huge since most entry-level resumes are blank and cannot capture true industry knowledge for hiring.

The cost is $2295 which covers the eight 3-hour sessions. That’s almost $100 an hour and more than I can afford. Being that it’s so expensive, I would like fellow dopers’ opinions on its merit and its necessity in order to aid in landing a job. It would be devastating if I end up wasting that money.

Would a hiring manager see it as a plus and edge over other candidates, or would it appear more like a BullS**t “certification” (think “Online” degrees and deVry)?

I appreciate advice on this important decision.

There’s really not much info about them online. This suggests that there’s some value, but don’t bet the farm based on what’s there.

Yeah I couldn’t find much info about them to get 3rd party reviews. I guess the only way to find out is if someone working on wall street has encountered this company’s’ “alumni” as a candidate and happens to read this.

I think that if a crash course in financial modeling were valuable, youd see a lot less Ivy league liberal arts and engineering students being hired as analysts. I dont think 3 weeks of training would be an particularly attractive asset. That’s only based on my arms length observation about entry level recruitment out of college, and admittedly I don’t know what they look for in entry level positions who aren’t right-out-of-college. I believe that covering the basics, as your course would, is an established part of the analyst program, and not some nuisance they’d prefer to avoid if possible.