after replacing the timing belt

Ok, I have a 2000 Subaru Outback wagon. It has given me nothing but problems. I replaced the timing belt at 80K. Now, at 96K the new timing belt snaps. I replace it and now the engine will turn over but will not start. I am sure this is a non-interference engine so I have no clue as to what is going on.

Anyone have any ideas?

Just off the top of my head, are you sure the timing itself didn’t get screwed up? If your valves arn’t opening at the right times for the pistons , it isn’t going to fire.

I don’t know. I haven’t checked the timing. To tell you the truth, when I replaced the belt and it wouldn’t start I was in shock. I don’t know why a timing belt would go after only 16K miles anyway. I wonder if they screwed up something when they replaced my engine at 86K. I told you this thing was nothing but trouble.

Have you been to Subaru about these problems? The people I know who have them have no troubles. In fact they brag about reliability.
Peace,
mangeorge

??

You replaced the belt at 80k and then replaced the motor at 86k? They moved the new belt to the new motor?

No, I haven’t gone to Subaru with them. I know they are supposed to be reliable vehicles but everything happened after warrenty was over. First it started popping out of fifth gear and when I took it in they fixed the transmission but charged me for replaceing the clutch, which they claim wore out after about 30K. Then the front stabilizer bar broke. The mechanic had never seen that happen before, this at about 40K.
Next the ignition coil started shorting but it was driveable so I continued using it until the coil came in. By then it was driving really rough and now the OBDC says I have ruined my catalytic converter. 80K I replaced the timing belt as PM. At 86K it develops a rod knock and I take it to about 4 places all of which say a)they have never heard of that happening since the Justy was phased out and b) I had to replace the engine, which I did. Now the timing belt snaps and after replacement the engine won’t start.

On the other hand, I still have the original brakes.

To Reeder:

Yes, they moved the new belt to the new motor. Is that something they shouldn’t have done?

I’m not sure using a used timing belt is a good idea. The dynamics of each motor being differant. But someone with more experience will be along to enlighten us both soon.

I just looked at CR’s ratings for Subaru. Looks good. The redder the dots, the higher rating. And Subarus are pretty much all in the solid red.
My next move would be to go to Subaru Co. Warranty or no.
Sorry about your troubles.

Check for a recall notice even if out of warranty.

See www.clarkhoward.com , its an excellent consumer info site.

According to this site some scooby-doo engines are interference and some aren’t.
If you engine is not an interference engine and it does not start after a t-belt replacement, then one of several things could be wrong

1. Belt installed wrong.
  2. Engine failure (mechanical) caused first belt failure and now won’t allow engine to start.
  3. During installation, something was disconnected that is now causing a no-start condition.

I suggest that you first check the list to find out if something got bent when the belt broke. Then double check your work on the belt and verify that nothing got disconnected. Oh one more clue, when you crank the car does the engine sound normal? Or does it sound different? Different would indicate a incorrectly installed belt.

Oh yeah, with any no start, repeat to yourself
Fuel
Air
Spark
Right place, right time, right amount.

One of those is wrong

And Compression; gotta have Compression.

I ususally group compression under air/ correct amount.
but yes gots to have compression.

If the Cat. converter is pluged, it may cause a no-start condition.
No air out means no air in. Disconnect the exhaust just to test.

I think Wolfman was onto something with the valves. When a timing belt goes - the valves may get hit by the still-moving pistons.

Also dauerbach has a point that they shouldn’t (reasonably) fail short of 80K miles.

[CR rant] CR - the toaster testers. The same people that give the Masda Navajo a better reliability rating then the Ford Explorer :rolleyes:
Note that they are the same truck [/CR rant over]

Even if the timing belt was not correct, you would probably still get some pop like it wanted to start

-what Rick said.

With an engine swap in a modern car, computer/ingnition problems come to mind. I would look for spark. Can you hear the fuel pump when the key is turned on?

Keep us posted.

I was gonna say! :slight_smile:

Though the Navajo only offered the 2-door “sport” version of the explod…er… explorer.

And it had a different grill! :wink:

holy cow-

Never had a Subaru but I they are supposed to be pretty dam good cars.

Check your timing for sure. Is it an external belt? You do know that the crank and cam must be aligned perfectly when the new belt goes on.

Rants aside, I couldn’t find a CR rating for the Navajo. A recall notice for the older Ford and Mazda, yes. Nothing even close to the OP’s car.
When I bought my Audi ('02) A4, Several people couldn’t wait to tell me “Volkswagen”. Well, not really. But that’s ok. :stuck_out_tongue:
I’ll stick to my advice to contact Subaru customer service before spending a lot more money, time, and/or frustration on the car. Can’t lose. Maybe they’ll give you a good trade on a WRX. :wink: