After twenty years, I saw the movie I'd been looking for. How was it?

That was just one of a set of cheapo monster movies remade as even cheaper TV movies at about the same time, all of them directed by Larry Buchanan. Besides Zontar (a remake of It Conquered the World) you had Creature of Destruction (a remake of The She Creature) and Invasion of The The Eye Creatures (sic) (a remake of Invasion of the Saucermen)

Exactly why this was done I do not know. At least Zontar gave the creature a cool name.

I didn’t get that far but it sounds exactly like what the writers would have done.

Hehe, Freejack. My friends and I saw it in the theater. To this day, anytime I’m playing a video game and I somehow launch a car into an overpass, we refer to it as getting freejacked. I don’t remember one damn thing else about that movie though.

The only Sheckley I ever read were the “Victim” novels back in high school, and while I liked them, the fact that they didn’t really share a continuity sort of bothered me at the time. I do remember that the same Douglas Adams blurb was on all three covers, something like “I didn’t know the competition was so fierce” or something like that. So they were definitely in his orbit.

I’ve maintained it also borrows heavily from Varley’s Overdrawn at the Memory Bank (IMO, more than the film actually based on the same story did! Casablanca? Really?)

I liked it enough to buy it in DVD, but to be fair, I’ve never watched my copy! I hope I still like it whenever I get around to watching it again.

Adams admitted to being a Sheckley fan – it shows – but swears that he wasn’t consciously copying Dimension of Miracles.

Only I’m not the only one who sees the similarities. In both cases you have an Earthman who gets taken from the Earth by decidedly non-technical means and spends the entire series going from planet to planet in the company of an alien guide who can navigate the bureaucracies. Along the way they encounter a company that builds planets and meet the Guy who Built the Earth. They also encounter extreme poets.

I love Douglas Adams, but his veracity…

He swore that the old urban legend about the old man eating his cookies was a true story and it happened to him.

Ah yes, the Old Man Who Ate the Cookies; how often I dream of him and that amusing Urban Legend.

(What are you talking about?)

If it’s the one I’m thinking of it involves buying a meal, including fries or cookies, at a crowded fast food place and sitting at a table and starting to read/do something distracting. A young/old man sits opposite with his meal and takes one of the story-teller’s goodies. ST glares at him and takes one while looking at him aggressively. YOM looks surprised but takes another. This goes back and forth for a while before YOM leaves in a huff and ST discovers their own goodies were hidden by the newspaper or whatever.

Sorry for the vagueness but there are different stories out there.

Snopes on the Douglas Adams cookie story.

Thanks Miller for that link.

I finally watched Blues Brothers 2000 after much hesitation, and I wound up liking it on the whole. Not as much as the original, of course. I thought I would hate the kid, but I found him appealing enough with good dance moves. John Goodman acquitted himself well. The music was fantastic as expected.

The only thing I didn’t like was Elwood’s exaggerated Superfans’ accent. Dan Aykroyd didn’t use that accent in the original, and it would’ve fit John Goodman’s character better.

NPR’s occasional commentator, poet and retired large-animal veterinarian Baxter Black got into a little trouble awhile back for telling the Douglas Adams cookie story as if it had really happened to him, too, as I recall.

One movie that i wanted to se for a long time was Merian C. Cooper’s She. I’d read about it and seen stills from it, but the actual movie never seemed to show up on TV or, later, on VHS. Finally, a couple of years ago I came across a used DVD of it (I never saw a DVD of it when it was new). It was fortuitous --not only was it a restored version, but it had been colorized. Some colorization is blasphemous, but in this case the film was originally supposed to be filmed in color, but they pulled the plug on that at the last minute. Not only that, but the colorization was overseen by Ray Harryhausen. He not only condemned the colorization of King Kong, but he heartily endorsed this case. And you know he loved the movie – he lifted scenes from it for two of his own movies.

I’d already read H. Rider Haggard’s book more than once. Cooper (who had made King Kong the previous year) brought over a lot of the same production crew, and re-used the giant wall with its enormous imposing Gate from Kong (newly dressed up, though). The story of explorers finding a Lost Civilization had been told in numerous cheap serials, but this showed what it could look like with a Big Budget (albeit not big enough for color). The climax, with its special effects, was pretty impressive, especially with color added.
Sensibilities have definitely changed. You couldn’t make the film today, for lots of reasons (although they were saved from one big problem when they decided to change the locale from Africa (where the novel was set) to the Himalayas (where Haggard’s sequel was set), apparently because they wanted to distance themselves from the jungle setting of Kong. The idea of a Cruel White Queen ruling a black kingdom really wouldn’t fly today.(Disney, though, pretty clearly stole the look of Ayesha as the Cruel Queen and adapted it for the Evil Queen in their Snow White a few years later)