Afterlife Belief Poll

#1, no wavering, no qualifiers.

It’s interesting to me that you split various of the choices – Religious And Reincarnation, Nonreligious And Reincarnation; Religious And Afterlife, Nonreligious And Afterlife – but don’t do likewise for Religious And No Afterlife, Nonreligious And No Afterlife. If it matters for the other choices, why wouldn’t it matter for this one?

Yeah, I consider myself religious (Buddhist) but don’t believe in an afterlife or in reincarnation. I’m down with the ‘‘returning to the universe’’ and all that, but I doubt there’s any sort of consciousness after death. I sort of wish there was an afterlife. I dunno. Eternity is pretty intimidating. But I wish there was some meaning to this jumbled concoction of joy and horror we experience on planet earth. As it stands, with no explanation, no justification, no protection, it drives me nuts.

3 & 8, though 8 is more a hope, than a belief. I guess means I should have chosen 9, but I didn’t. :slight_smile:

I assumed that was naturally inclusive to **#1: I don’t believe in afterlife and I accept nothingness, ie, returning as elemental parts of Universe. ** but come to think of it, doh!, you could definitely be religious but don’t believe in afterlife… such as religious scientists etc. That was late in the wee hours. I apologize. Well, there is #11. Other (Explain) choice - it would be interesting to hear their views.

I can not fathom choosing option 1. Even if not believing in an afterlife was the one thing I was most Adamantly 100% sure about-- if given the choice, are there really people out there that would not prefer a universe where, for one example, when you die, you instantly get to know infinite truths about the universe, like in Toucanna’s example, and then spend as much time thinking about those truths as you want, and then commence into nothingness at you own leisure? Or become a god of your own universe and make up all your own rules, or get to return “Being John Malkovich” style and live in the past or future as anyone of your choosing, or get to spend eternity tirelessly as the essence of an orgasm, etc.

Preferring this doesn’t mean you lament it not being real, or pine for it, and it does not show that there is any weakness in a personal conviction that there is no after life. It’s ok to say that it would be cool, or better even.

But I don’t know, maybe 42% of us seriously are declining pie.

Other.

I can’t wrap my head around a world as complex and interesting as ours without a creator. I believe that there is something more after my death, however I don’t believe anyone has it figured out quite right. I associate myself with the religion containing the people espousing the qualities I most want to see in myself.

I’m somewhere between #1 and #2 (marked #2, though.) I know wishing for something more is just wishing; fundamentally I accept my future as worm food.

As it happens, I am one of those religious types who don’t believe in an afterlife, which is why I noticed the lack of a split for the option in question: I’m a Jew, and while I of course believe God could set up an afterlife for us, I don’t see (a) that He said anything about it in the Old Testament – rather the opposite, in fact – and so I don’t see (b) any point in believing there’s an afterlife waiting for me; you may as well make the most of life hereabouts, for dust thou art and unto dust shalt thou return, until and unless I see evidence to the contrary, which I haven’t.

That’s what I say. Afterlife, if there is such thing, would be a bonus… but the problem is this kind of thinking leads to "what could I do more to insure and increase the chance that I get to have “afterlife” for sure because I want it.

A friend of mine who turned Buddhist, who ended up living and praying like 16 hours a day and night at a temple. He would simply disappear for months at a time. I told him you are wasting this, the only one, a short one at that, that we know of for sure to ensure your unknown next one based on some manmade idea. Believe me I like Buddhism the most out of all religious ideas… that is, except for the reincarnation concept that not all buddhist denominations embrace (in fact didn’t Buddha gain enlightenment when he realized, “This” indicating being in this very moment, this very moment is the enlightenment?). I told him that’s greed (more than, possibly-misguided). I suggested him to consider ‘moderation’ just in case.

Yeah, I didn’t want to sleep tonight anyway.

I’m not sure I’m getting it right but isn’t there a distinct difference between your preference and what you unavoidably has to deduce down to? I don’t know whether I can convince myself to believe in an idea of afterlife that my logical mind wouldn’t allow. My description of #3 (I don’t believe in afterlife but I fantasize: I think whatever you talk yourself into, though it may be a fantasy, until the moment you are no longer able to think, will be your afterlife… like a fairy tale.) maybe taken as believing in your fantasy afterlife concept but I meant as a wishful thinking side entertainment… well mahbe the distinction is actually ambiguous…

This. Even when I was young, I didn’t like the idea of heaven. I just wanted to come back and do it again, and fantasized about arguments if I reached the Pearly Gates. I don’t believe in reincarnation though, so that leaves me pretty much arm-wrestling Peter until he gets sick of me and kicks me back down. :stuck_out_tongue:

I don’t have any clue what happens, as I’m pretty human and our range of experiences seems to stop pretty far short of omniscience, so I can’t even choose ‘Pondering’. No matter what I think, I know I don’t know it, so it’s all just whatever makes funerals easier to get through.

If you chose “#10 - I’m young and I’ll live forever. Only roses wilt and die” you are either oblivious or a vampire or an alien visitor or working on immortality serum.

When I die there’ll be nothing. It’d be like toasting my computer’s hard drive.

And nothing of value will be lost amirite?

I think about this issue a lot.

The bottom line is that yes, I do think that there is something akin to an afterlife awaiting us when we die. The funny thing is that, though I do believe in God (or a Creator or whatever your equivalent of that sort of being would be), I wouldn’t even classify myself as a really religious or spiritual person and yet I still have a reverence for these mystical beliefs.

But more than that, and as somebody already said, I just can’t imagine that a world as complex as ours was created entirely by chance. While that’s certainly possible I suppose, couldn’t the fact that our universe can be EXPLAINED scientifically just be proof of the genius of whoever created it? I don’t know.

I don’t think that people can ever know EITHER WAY whether an afterlife exists in this life, and if there really is a higher order to our existence or to the universe, I’d venture to guess that human beings aren’t even ALLOWED to know something like that. I kind of like the idea of whatever you strongly believe will be your heaven/afterlife will be true for you, and that simply believing in an afterlife makes it exist or something along those lines.

You guys need to go on Youtube and search “near death experience.” There are some absolutely fascinating videos up there of people who claim to have witnessed the afterlife. If any of that is true, though, well that’s up to you to decide. :slight_smile:

A set of finite base elements and energy compressed into unthinkably small size blows up and expands like flying dust in an explosion. As they settle and react following whatever their natural tendencies forming galaxies, stars, planets etc etc… then life develops on Earth from the precise repetitions of movements influence by the force of Moon’s gravity pulling as it circles Earth. Then countless “single cell life” repetition occurs over millions(?) of years until one of those cell divides and duplicates itself. Eventually one simply cell organism enters another and maintains symbiotic mutual existence and becomes a ‘more complex organism’ and many deviations of organism evolves due to need for improvement and adjustment needed to adapt to the environment=process of elimination=survival of the better equipped versions out of ‘mutations that occurs in every DNA replication’, until one strain evolved into an animal with higher intelligence, ie, human beings. We are still not a final iteration, ie, there is no “final” iteration a far as living things are concerned.

I don’t know about you but I buy it. There are evidences of one organism changing to adapt. I don’t that necessarily needs any powerful god-like being(s) ‘ALLOWING’ anything.

As for the types of “near death experiences” mentioned on YouTube and Bio, I deduce it to brain chemical being release to sort of ‘soften the blow’ of traumatic/death experience.

Just what I accept to be the most likely scenario.

Well, the problem with believing in an afterlife is that you essentially HAVE to accept that there’s a supernatural explanation for it. Simply put, if it exists, there is no way to study it because a person has to be dead in order to experience it, and we live in such a modern world that by now nearly all of life’s mysteries have already been explained scientifically. In order to accept the afterlife as being real, you have to accept that it can’t be objectively explained, and that’s where a lot of doubters probably encounter their difficulties with the concept.

As to your statement about these NDE’s being a result of brain chemicals and some such, then how do you explain this video? The woman here was brain dead for quite some time yet she had this incredibly intense, profoundly “real” experience of an afterlife (she was even able to witness and listen to the surgeons in the operating room in spite of having her ears plugged). Even the physicians in the video say that, because every measurable aspect of her body & brain indicated that she was dead, the woman should not have experienced what she went through, and the doctors have no explanation for it. How do you explain something like that?