Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D S01E21:Ragtag (open spoilers)

My predictions on how this will play out (since I was so spot on about Garrett being Ward’s brother and all):

Everybody will scatter. Rayna/Ward one direction, Garrett, Mike and Hydra another. That gives Our Heroes a couple of enemies for next season. Garrett will turn into something very powerful because of the mix of Centipede goo and blue goo. A superpowered sociopath is always good entertainment.

Ward will flinch next week when he and May get in a serious smackdown. He won’t be able to kill her face to face, and that will be the deciding factor.

Fury will show up and give the Good Guys a list of some of his other secret bases for them to work out of. It isn’t like they can base their operations from a seedy hotel. This isn’t Angel. That gives them access to fuel for the Bus, tech goodies, and the like.

I bow to external information. I was only going off of what I saw.

I agree. I felt the episode was weak and severely lacking in plausibility. The Ward/Garrett relationship makes no sense whatsoever. I guess I can let it slide in a cult-leader/follower sort of way, but even there, the circumstances are too wacky to make sense.

I’m also irritated by the puppy scene. Clearly, the writers are trying to make the audience doubt Ward’s Bad-guy status, in that they want the audience to believe Ward can be redeemed.
Not shooting a puppy is not an act of redemption! Not shooting defenseless puppies is default normal everyday behavior. Ward gets zero “good guy” points for not shooting a puppy. Still a murderer.
I guess Ward thinks of Fitz and Simmons as his pets too?

I predict the Bezerker staff plays into their faceoff. Clearly the New Scoobies will end up with the staff after the barbershop fight, and it will factor into the season finale.

I’m wondering how Patton Oswalt shows up. He’s listed in the credits for the last episode, but he was killed a couple of weeks ago. Recorded message? LMD? Simmons autopsied him, so he is really most sincerely dead.

I’m wondering about the timeline. How much time has passed from the Battle of the Helicarriers until now? It seems here that we are still within a week or so of the battle, but then how could Hill have been hired and connected at Stark Industries so quickly? Her conversation with Pepper seems to indicate that she’s been there a bit when she encounters May. But that would put events much later than shown.

Puzzled, I am.

LOL. Reminds me of that Chris Rock routine. (warning: language) I Take Care Of My Kids - YouTube

kinda ho-hum episode.

I have no doubt FitzSimmons will be rescued by the others, using Trip’s grandpa’s quarter beacons to find them.

Neat revelations on Garrett. Fun bits of business in the cybertek heist scenes. (“get ready for a file transfer!”). And I do like Fitz being the one who can’t give up on Ward. In a lesser show, it would be Skye in that role.

But aside from that… a bit of a stumble from the coolness of the last few eps. My attention wandered, which hasn’t been happening lately on this show.

Kinda nice to see the backstory on Ward, but eh… what do we take away from it that we didn’t already know?

I do think Ward was meant to feel conflicted in killing FitzSimmons. He did mean to kill them by dumping them, not save them, but he did feel bad about it at least. (yeah, I know, Chris Rock, you’re SUPPOSED to feel bad about killing people) But I think that’s the writers’ way of leaving the redemption option open.

The way I read the whole thing with Ward, the Dog and FitzSimmons was you see Ward not shoot the dog so you think “Whew, he will let them go. He’s really not fully Evil.” Then they cut him shooting the dog after the fact (admittedly it is technically “someone” not necessarily Ward) so you now think “Damn! He was Evil!” and Plop! he dumps them in the ocean to die.

I have no doubt they will survive but I believe we are supposed to think Ward thinks he killed them.

But it could be that Garrett shot the dog with the rifle, in front of Ward, to teach Ward a lesson about weakness. So Ward knows that if he doesn’t appear to kill Fitz & Simmons, Garrett will kill them anyway - so he got them off the plane and saved their lives the only way he could.

I admire the autopilot or HYDRA pilot or whatever was flying the Bus. Ejecting the pod with Fitzsimmons in it should by all rights have sent the plane into the ocean. Yet it didn’t even bobble.

I’m not seeing this. All Garrett did was treat Ward like crap. Sure, Ward survived it but he has no reason to thank Garrett for the experience.

Ward’s family treated him like crap and he survived that too. By this logic, he should be devoted to his family.

Exactly. The point Garrett was making was that it didn’t matter if Ward made a stand and defied him. Buddy died anyway.

But there were 5 years between the time Garrett left Ward on his own, and when Garrett told Ward he’d been accepted into SHIELD. During that time, Garrett taught Ward how to hit a deer from 1800 meters out. Presumably he taught him lots of other cool stuff during that time as well, and they bonded then.

I agree that Buddy was going to die. So I was wondering how he was going to die.

I was considering the possibility that Garrett would come back and find Ward doing okay but no Buddy around. And Garrett would ask what happened to Buddy and Ward would say he killed Buddy and ate him on the first night. That would have been a scene showing that Ward could be more ruthless than Garrett.

Ward didn’t choose to get them off the plane, he did the only thing available to him. He would have shot them if Fitz had opened the door. He wasn’t trying to pretend kill them, he was trying to kill them the only way he had available at the time.

Blame the lazy CGI modeler who didn’t make the plane rock & recover. That plane is a ramp set and a CGI model.

We fully expected Ward to kill buddy - enough so that simwife hid her eyes.

I think they used the the sniper bit to show a couple of differnet possibilities

• Garret watching to see if Ward actually killed buddy - unlikely since had Ward failed, Garret would likely have done something about it, but also possible since later we see Ward’s fierce loyalty to Garret - had Ward killed Buddy, it may show that even Garret/Hydra couldn’t truly trust him to be loyal to them.

• Ward Killing Buddy (I didn’t hear a shot, but) - requiring distance - couldn’t do it “up close” to a “friend”.

• Ward making sure Buddy escaped - redeeming aspect/possibly.

I, for one, would not buy an redemption for Ward - and I think its a better show if they don’t try and redeem him.

And I like his replacement better.

Man, Ward’s spy skills were terrible this episode

Ward: Open the door
Fitz: Tell me you’re a good guy
Ward: Nope, I’m a bad guy
Fitz: In that case, I’m not opening the door

Yeah, but it was going slowly in “Harrier mode” so the jets would stabilize the aircraft when it was dumping the module. Yeah, that’s the ticket!

I understand going low and slow to avoid detection, but “Harrier mode” would waste so much fuel.

Garrett gets to chew the scenery like only he can. I’m not 100% sure Buddy got shot. Garrett had him in his scope, but the loud sound effect wasn’t gun fire, it was from the next scene. Ward still needs to die. His dysfunctional daddy issues with Garrett shouldn’t make him so loyal.

May & Coulson were fun, together doing their thing. “Get ready for a large file transfer.”

I’m curious who the monsters were. Kree soldiers wearing scarey uniforms? What other alien races are known to hybridize with humans?

But he could have said “Fine, stay in there, we’ll crack this door after we land.” Ejecting them was the one thing that gave them a chance at surviving.

I’m not 100% sold on this interpretation BTW. But I think the writers left this open on purpose. Otherwise they would have shown Buddy getting shot and Ward looking through the rifle scope afterwards.