Aggravating issue with new smartphone

Finally had to replace my 8 year old one with a new one, Samsung Galaxy S24+ ( Android ). It’s a keyboard issue, and despite diddling with all my settings and internet searches, the solution seems to elude me.

On my old S8, to allow accented letters, I could long press a letter, a box of choices would pop up and I could just type a selection from it and it would display. I’ve tried the Samsung keyboard, and the Google smart keyboard and the issue is the same: Long pressing a letter key brings up a pop-up of choices, but upon tapping one of the choices, nothing happens.

Thanks for any insights.

On my phone you have to drag your finger over the accented vowel before lifting it up. So technically one long press-drag-release.

~Max

Yes, I have to hold and drag as well, using Swiftkey, which I highly recommend you switch to.

Yes, the drag is a finesse I find hard but when you get down it works. @:—_⁴±⁹¿5bë

Just practiced. It works.

OK, thanks. I’ll look at Swiftkey, but when it comes to touch screens, dragging/swiping is my weakest subject. :grinning:

BTW, your user name was one of the hardest answers in the NYT Spelling Bee recently. I only guessed it because of you.

Exactly this on every Samsung Android I’ve had. Which is several now. Darn good bet that’s the OP’s solution.

Seconded

You can also enable alternate characters on the primary keyboard (each character shows an alternate that can be selected by a long press). The process on an S23FE:

Settings → General management → Samsung Keyboard settings → Layout → Alternative characters

Getting the duration of the long press right may be a bit of a challenge, but for me it’s easier than swiping.

First off, glad that I am of some use. :+1:

I installed Swiftkey and adjusted the options, and now the accent pop-ups work just fine…and…I just have to tap to get the accented character rather than drag. Not only that, I downloaded an Italian language pack that works great in conjunction with it.

I shall save that for future reference. Thanks for the advice, and thank you all very much for your assistance. Much appreciated. :clap:

Damm, I’m francophone in Canada, and accented letters are common in french but I never knew how to type them on my Samsung S21,so I simply ignored the accents.

Now I know, ignorance fought, Thanks

Yeah, I added the German keyboard for help with my Duolingo lessons.