AIDS: A Polio Vaccination Accident?

Could AIDS have been introduced to humanity due to an accident in testing of a polio vaccine.

<BLOCKQUOTE><Font Size=“1”>From the New York Times:</font>
<HR>
In “The River” (Little, Brown, $35), Edward Hooper suggests that an experimental oral polio vaccine might have been made with chimpanzee tissue contaminated with an ancestor of the virus that was to cause AIDS.
[…]
He finds close coincidence in both time and place between the earliest cases of AIDS and the testing of an oral vaccine developed at the Wistar Institute in Philadelphia and, later, in two laboratories in Belgium. From 1957 to 1960, the vaccine was given to a million people in what are now Rwanda, Burundi and Congo.
[…]
And there is precedent for a simian virus’s lurking in polio vaccine: millions of Americans were inadvertently infected with such a virus, SV-40, in the 1950’s and early 1960’s. (Fortunately, it was not harmful.)
<HR>
</BLOCKQUOTE>

NY Times Article (Registration Required)

Any comments?

How’s my posting? 1-800-AM A TROL

The Times article quotes Dr. Robin A. Weiss as supporting the conclusion of Hooper’s book. I have read this article which is quoted below, with a somewhat less ringing endorsement.

Dr. Weiss seems to be more willing to agree with Hooper’s assessment of the potential danger of iatrogenic introduction of disease into the human species in general, than his specific evidence for AIDS. The rush for AIDS vaccines itself is very much a concern for Dr. Weiss, since it seems to be proceeding according to protocols as much political, as scientific. This was true, as well, in the fifties, of the Polio epidemic.

<P ALIGN=“CENTER”>Tris</P>

Here, also is a report of the response of the accused.

When Rolling Stone magazine made the same report, several years ago, Wistar submitted samples from the viral research materials for independent examination. No contamination was found, at that time.

Of course, that will not adversely affect book sales.

[[ The rush for AIDS vaccines itself is very much a concern for Dr. Weiss, since it seems to be proceeding according to protocols as much political, as scientific. This was true, as well, in the fifties, of the Polio epidemic.]]

Can you elaborate on this?
Jill

I will try to, as well as I can, without cut and pasting any more of the copyrighted story. I recommend ** Science ** magazine, probably available at your local library, for the entire article, and much other good information on science news, politics, and theory. The CDC maintains many thousands of articles, as well, if you have the time, and patience to search through them all.

Dr Weiss examined the book mentioned, and its claim that chimpanzee kidney tissue was used in the preparation of polio vaccines during the politically important search for a vaccine during the 1950’s. Wistar, the company that did the work insisted that no chimpanzee tissue was used, and provided samples for viral testing, in 1993, when the original article was published in Rolling Stone. Independent agents did the testing. No virus was found, but no tests were done to determine if chimpanzee DNA was present. Wistar also sued the author, and Rolling Stone, and everyone else in sight.

The current book has brought out new acrimony, on both sides, of the argument, and new lawsuits are in the offing. Wistar has offered its samples again, for testing for virus, and for DNA. The major area of contention is not the science, but the legal liability, and the academic prestige of the various participants. Dr. Weiss finds those matters of unconvincing scientific importance.

There is also the fact that such things as vaccine testing are now being conducted in the AIDS field, even though the data available, and the opinions of the developers themselves indicate that the vaccine under consideration would not be effective in broad application. No one argues that there should not be research into vaccines, but that the decision to make trials should be driven by peer review, and scientific protocols generally applied to any research in human disease. That is not the case, in AIDS research, because of the overwhelming political need for good news from scientists, just as was the case with Polio, in the fifties.

The risks of iatrogenic disease vectors in the search for new antiviral medicines is real, and of unknown magnitude. In addition, there is insufficient understanding of the possible consequences of transplant technologies from non-human tissues. There is no current case that shows the introduction of animal specific disease into humans from these sources, but it is not unreasonable to believe that it should be rigorously examined before the use of these technologies becomes common. When the consequences of lawsuits, political favoritism, and social wishful thinking begin to take precedence over the scientific method, the danger only grows.

So, while rejecting the specific claims of the author of “The River” as unproven, Dr. Weiss, and many others speak of the unexamined risk inherent in allowing our desire for effective treatment of one disease to cause us to create an opportunity for another. Ever since the domestication of animals, our technology has exposed us to new risks, and at times, that risk has devastated our society. We do not need to abandon technology, but we do need to use our tools to assess our choices. Politics is a tool ill suited for this task.

[[No one argues that there should not be research into vaccines, but that the decision to make trials should be driven by peer review, and scientific protocols generally applied to any research in human disease. That is not the case, in AIDS research, because of the overwhelming political need for good news from scientists, just as was the case with Polio, in the fifties.]]

This isn’t just a “political” need. AIDS is devastating some parts of the world that will never be able to afford the sophisticated therapies most people with HIV in the US have access to. Even an imperfectly effective vaccine might save many lives. It’s clear that the vaccines in trials now aren’t great, but maybe they’ll learn something from them to develop better ones. From what I have seen (and HIV vaccine trials are being conducted in my town) the research is driven by peer review and scientific protocols. I guess I just don’t see how you can call vaccine research for polio and HIV disease “political.”
Jill

**Jill ** observes

Well that goes a bit beyond what I said, and certainly exceeds the caveats published by Dr. Weiss. I do not claim the research is political, nor undesirable. I do find several people involved in the field, and the related fields of xenotransplantation who are concerned that the influence of politics might well be overwhelming good science. The desire for an answer and even the need for an answer do not change the facts of real research. When the source of funding for science becomes more and more narrow, the opinions that are optimistic at the right time can be heard more easily than those that are skeptical. The money follows the politics, but microbiology does not.

Zoonosis is a field of study that will not provide anyone with a new wonder drug or a cure for much of anything. Waiting for our understanding to catch up with our technique is tedious, and expensive. Introducing a new viral disease for which our entire species has no immunologic response will not depend on whether we understood the facts before the event.

My point is not that there should be no research, but that the research must be done prudently, however much the need for a cure makes it desirable. Whether or not AIDS is a disease created by medicine, the possibility that we could introduce a disease by the same means attributed to AIDS is real. Simply asking if a proposed vaccine is effective is not enough. Is the vaccine safe, from the point of view of the species? AIDS is a very real threat to our society. It is not the only threat possible.

As a small part of a very interesting article in this weeks Science magazine, covering the sources of the many different varieties of HIV known to exist, a brief passage is included referring to the group of claims that AIDS was introduced by Polio Vaccine makers.

In AIDS as a Zoonosis: Scientific and Public Health Implications
Beatrice H. Hahn, George M. Shaw, Kevin M. De Cock, & Paul M. Sharp say

A lot of other interesting information in the article, for those who have subscriptions.
Science Magazine.

I hate quotations.
–Ralph Waldo Emerson

I noticed this article on CNN today…

http://www.cnn.com/2000/HEALTH/AIDS/02/01/aids.ancestor.ap/index.html

Basically, compuer simulations put the origin of AIDS in the 1930’s. Other related links are available at the bottom of the article as well…

There was a big article about the same topic (evidence that AIDS started around 1930) in the Philadelphia Inquirer this morning. It probably used the same sources as that CNN article.

The Philadelphia Inquirer article seemed to pretty much dismiss the “AIDS was caused by Polio Vaccinations” claims, citing the same reaons others have already mentioned in this thread.

There are lots of HIV/AIDS stories coming out this week because there is a big meeting of AIDS researchers going on (I think in San Francisco).

Note that these these stories cover oral or poster presentations describing research & findings that have not been peer-reviewed, and may not be published for as much as a year, IF AT ALL.

Generally they do get published, but often with mauch narrower claims made about the implications of the study findings, or in obscure journals not covered by media giants because the study design was poor, or the results don’t fully support all of the conclusions reached.

Let the reader beware…

Sue from El Paso

• Siamese attack puppet - Texas

Experience is what you get when you didn’t get what you wanted.

** Majormd ** says

I cannot verify the other references, but the article by Hann, et. al. already has been published in Science Magazine, the journal of the American Association for the Advancement of Science. The paragraph I posted was the only part of the article addressing the issue of the Wistar Polio inoculations. The remainder of the article examined the genomic diversity of HIV1 and HIV2 strains, and comparisons with SIV from specific populations of primates.

The authors’ seem fairly convinced that multiple cross species events over a much longer time are necessary to account for the radiation of the known strains of the lentiviruses (sp?) found in the human and primate populations. Most of those transmissions have not resulted in pandemics. HIV1 strain M accounts for the large majority of all AIDS cases, and HIV1 strain N for the bulk of the remainder. That radiation seems to have come from one event, probably in Cameroon, or Gabon, some time early in this century. A particular species of Chimpanzee is believed to be the source of the virus, and it is common even today to have slaughter, and open blood contact with chimpanzee carcasses in rural markets.

“This institution will be based upon the illimitable freedom of the human mind. For here we are not afraid to follow truth wherever it may lead, nor to tolerate any error so long as reason is left free to combat it.” – Thomas Jefferson

Tris - you are absolutely right about the story you discussed. Science is a prestigious journal, and articles published in it are intensively peer-reviewed for study design, stastical significance of results, real-world significance of results, and for conclusions being fully supported by results.

I was confused though, because all of the press releases relating to this study have been coming out of San Francisco, where a major conference is taking place. Most news releases detailing scientific/medical studies say whether the information obtained from a published article, or from a presentation at a conference. Example:

Neither the MSNBC nor the CNN story on the origin of the HIV virus provided such information; it appears that both were drawn from the same AP release.

I stand by my grain-of-salt advice relating to mass media news stories about newly presented studies & findings in general, but retract it for this particular story, as it was published in Science.

Sue from El Paso

• Siamese attack puppet - Texas

Experience is what you get when you didn’t get what you wanted.

Thanks, Sue. I try to be very careful who I quote around here. This ain’t your usual beer joint medical review board. There’s a fair number of folks around here know their ass from their elbow, anatomically speaking.

We learn more by looking for the answer to a question and not finding it than we do from learning the answer itself.
– **Lloyd Alexander **

I saw this today on MSN: http://www.msnbc.com/news/364945.asp

I haven’t read through this site since I didn’t have much to add from the title. You guys may find the link above interesting. Basically, it shoots down the polio theory stating that HIV was present before the 1950’s oral polio vaccinations occurred.

HUGS!
Sqrl

Dear Fascist Bully Boys,
Give me more money, you bastards.
May the seed of your loins prove fruitful in the belly of your woman.
neil