AIDS question

I understand that AIDS has something to do with T-cell counts. The lower the count, the worse it is for the patient. To combat this, couldn’t we just give the person more T-cells somehow? I know this is kind of out there, but would it work in theory?

If at first you don’t succeed, skydiving is not for you.

Here are reasons why that wouldn’t work:[ul][li]T-cells are unlike most other blood cells. They are very identifiable, and thus are attacked as foreign if they are donated. (Red blood cells, on the other hand, are very generic and are left alone [if the types match, that is].)[/li]
[li]To be accepted, a persons own T-cells would have to be grown en masse, and of sufficient variety to be a viable immune system component.[/li]
Each T-cell is keyed to attack only one specific virus. Only when a dendritic cell brings a piece of a virus to the right T-cell does the T-cell then go into overdrive and clone itself massively and go attack the viral infection.

So if you cloned 1,000,000 T-cells, they’d all be the same and only help the donee fight one type of infection anyway.

[li]You’d have to make millions of unique T-cells to replace what HIV has killed.[/ul][/li]

When danger reared its ugly head,
He bravely turned his tail and fled

Well damn, I was figuring I’d come in here, throw down some of my hard earned college eudcation, and I got beaten to it…

However, well said AWB, I believe you caught it all.

What’s funny is I had just seen a show on TLC or Discover Channel about how a flu virus makes us sick and how the body fights. :smiley:

When danger reared its ugly head,
He bravely turned his tail and fled

A low T-cell count doesn’t mean a person has HIV.

As a matter of fact, my doctor told me there is some disease stuff that can make your t-cell count higher.

True, but for HIV-infected persons this is BAD news.

Why? Because when T-cells, replicate, they divide into 2 T-cells. But the HIV particle inside a replicating T-cell replicates into thousands more virions & breaks out into the bloodstream & infects even more T-cells.

At least this is one theory of why certain STDs & opportunistic infections seem to greatly accelerate the immunodeficiency caused by HIV. Which in turn is one proposed explanation why continued high-risk behaviors after infection seem associated with more rapid progression.

Sue from El Paso

Experience is what you get when you didn’t get what you wanted.

AWB-
So, HERE’S a follow-up for you. If one can do stem-cell replacement therapy, why can’t one take out t-cells from someone JUST DIAGNOSED with HIV? That way, as they lose the T-Cells to the virus, you can replace them with their OWN T-Cells. Cloning wouldn’t work as stated, but what about growing them? Isn’t that what happens in stem cell replacement therapy for cancer victims? Could the same be done for HIV + patients, and if not, why?
Also, since I’m just brimming with curiosity this morning, what’s with this entropy crap? Will the universe end, and if so, will that ending be narrated by Patrick Stewart???

Cartooniverse

If you want to kiss the sky, you’d better learn how to kneel.