Air purifier advice

It seems like I’m allergic to something in my environment. Trying to figure out what, exactly, but in the meantime I figured it wouldn’t hurt to grab an air purified - even if it doesn’t help with the allergies at least it can pick up some cat hair and stuff.

I have no idea what constitutes good products in this field though. Lots of HEPA filters. Some ionic type purifiers. Some with both. Which is better? Do these really effectively reduce potential sources of allergens from the air?

Some filters advertise permanent filters that you don’t need to replace. Are these effective? How do you rid them of what they’ve filtered out? I’d prefer not to deal with changing filters if it’s practical not to.

Anyway, I’m looking to spend up to about $200, so what’s the best unit I can get? What should I look for?

You should probably opt for a unit containing a fan and a HEPA filter, and go for the largest air flow (in cfm) you can afford. Ionic types are somewhat controversial in their effect (whether air ions themselves help people) and their particle removal mechanism tends to deposit particles on objects nearby rather than consuming the particles.

The larger the filter, the less often you have to change it. If there is not much dust loading in your environment - that is, if there’s no smoke and you’re not grinding flour - a large HEPA may last quite a few years, perhaps longer than the fan.

I have very nice filters made by AllerAir, but they’re around $700. Not sure how low their prices go.

I think if you shop for at least around 150 or 200 cfm, and look for HEPA filters bigger than a nice coffee table book, you’ll probably do well.

Do you get what you pay for with the purifiers? There are popular models on amazon that range from $50-200 that claim 99.99% filtration and have good reviews and all that stuff. For all I know they may be garbage, but there’s not really much more to air filtration than a fan and a filter, right? I mean the higher end units may do better CFM, but probably not in line with the price increase.

I’m looking at the units atrabbit air, not sure how they stack up against others. I’m guessing the monitor sized units with custom skins are not the norm…

I have purchased many different types of air purifiers over the past few years (for my work, as a means of removing dust particles in the air since we work on electronic equip) and the best brand I have used is IDYLIS. They are sold at lowes, if you go to lowes.com and type in idylis you will find them all. They have several models the cheapest is arround 90 bucks, it says it is good for rooms up to 155 sq. feet. that was the first IDYLIS air purifier I purchased. It worked so good that I decided to purchase a second unit (it is for rooms up to 310 sq. feet). That one cost arround $280 dollars. That unit actually has a meter built in that measures the quality of the air. I purchased a third unit on ebay- the same model as the second unit (310 sq feet) for arround $75 dollars so that was a steal.

One thing about the square feet is they are just suggested by the manufacturer, if your room is larger it will still work.

To save money you dont have to throw the hepa filter in the trash every 6 months like it says, I actually dust the filter out with my air compressor, if you spray air from the back side you can blow the dust out of the filter (put the air nozzle against the back of the filter to spray air, dont spray from the front of the filter or you will be pushing the dust particles into the filter which will clog it). You can do the same with the carbon filter if you are on a tight budget. I would atleast replace the hepa filter yearly.

Before I had these filters if I dusted a shelf off in my office and checked the shelf a day or two later I would see a layer of dust built up. With the filters running I hardly see ANY dust on the shelf even after a week or two.

What exactly gives them that “rooms up to X feet” calculation? Is it some multiple of their CFM rate? Seems like anything with a reasonable amount of airflow is going to clean a big room eventually - new sources of dust aren’t going to crop up faster than the air purifier can get them out of the air. My living room, dining room, kitchen, and some hallways are one big open area, so if I go by these guidelines I’d need a pretty big filter, but it seems like even a small one working away all day would eventually get most of everything.

It’s a matter of how clean you want the air to be … how many times per hour all the air in the space gets filtered. The room size rating is based on 8 foot ceilings.

FWIW, I went through several of the mass market things … they were all loud, and those $99 filters every six months or year added up. The one I have now is a HealthMate Jr.. It is very quiet, works very well, and it has been running constantly for nearly four years. The filter is supposed to last for five years.