Alabama Chief Justice Halts SSM - How do candidates respond?

A previous thread on Chief Justice Moore and his defiance of Federal court orders: Well Dayumn! Gay Marriage is now Legal in Alabama - Miscellaneous and Personal Stuff I Must Share - Straight Dope Message Board

I hope the U.S. District Court judge who earlier ruled on SSM in Alabama will require Moore to show cause why he should not be held in contempt.

I keep reading the thread title as “Alabama Chief Justice Hates SSM.”

Probably works either way. :slight_smile:

I note that except for some minor backgrond history, there have been no commets from candidates posted. I know Hilary has condemned it (big surprise), saw it in the Huntsville Times (yes, I live in Ali-bama, but I’m feeling much better now…).

I expect that most Republican candidates will say something mealy-mouth to the extent that yes, Moore needs to obey the law, even if it is a nasty, wrong, stupid law that I (as president) will do something about.

This is, as has already been alluded too, more about state politics than law; Chief Justice is an elective office in Alabama, and could be a stepping-stone to bigger things…and Moore does not lack for ambition (brains, those he lacks, but that has never held a politican back before).

Very probably true. What’s wonderfully remarkable about this is that apparently demonstrating that one is a bigot who either doesn’t understand the law or has nothing but contempt for the law is considered a prime qualification to higher office in Alabama. I can do no better here than to quote Jim Folsom, the governor of Alabama at the time that the Jimmy Wilson case mentioned above attracted international outrage because Wilson, a black man, had been sentenced to death for stealing $1.95:
The US Secretary of State, John Foster Dulles sent a letter to Folsom notifying him of the immense international attention the case had received. The sentence was commuted to a life sentence by Folsom on September 29, 1958, which was the most he was legally able to do to aid Wilson. Folsom commented, “I admit that we have got the worst penal system in the world, including Dark Africa … I hope the next Legislature will do something about improving the situation.
Emphasis mine. Replace “penal system” with “judicial system” which is probably what he meant anyway, and I think the Governor was on to something!