Alan Colmes: Fighting the good fight or pseudoliberal whore for the right wing media?

The popular “point-counterpoint” style show ‘Hannity and Colmes’ features Sean Hannity; well spoken, smartly dressed, damn handsome, and firmly conservative - and Alan Colmes; a tongue tied, sphincter-faced, frumpily attired, wimpy, wishy-washy, lisping liberal. Is this a total set up or what?

Is Alan Colmes’ resumé match Hannity’s? Sometimes he takes positions which just seem to be hissibly unpopular not just with the hard right - but mainstream meat and potatoes Americans. Are they really a political “odd couple” or is this a rather lame attempt to put out a “fair and balanced” show where the conservative is guaranteed to win every night? Does Colmes have solid credentials, and is he really there to butt heads with the Murdochites and dish it out to them - or is he a complete tool - a nobody that is presented as a “liberal commentator” with the full complicty that he will never outshine Hannity?

Maybe someone out there really thinks Colmes’s verbal sparring mops the floor with Hannity’s preppie ass every night…but as far as I am concerned he is mismatched. And the conservative guests just seem a little too glad to have him there.

Now James Carville on CNN is a braying misshapen cretin of a man - who is capable of saying some really dumb shit, but at least you know he is a fighter and standing up for himself. And he ran Clinton’s campaigns - with solid results. Whereas Colmes is probably a no-name playing the liberal patsy for Uncle Roopie.

I used to listen to Alan Colmes’ radio show a few years ago and he was a sort of mainstream liberal. Most of his callers were conservatives. One of the things I liked about his show was that he often did not screen calls so you got a fair amount of nutjobs on the air.

I think he more or less sold out to go to Faux News. he’s just there to give a false impression of balance. He gets to say about two sentences per show while that unctious little shit Hannity rambles on, uninterrupted for (what seems like) hours at a time. I can’t watch Hannity and Colmes because it’s not a real debate show. It’s just another right-wing propaganda show posing as a debate show. Also, I can’t stand the sight of Sean hannity. i think I hate him even more than O’Reilly. O’Reill at least some substance occasionally. Hannity is smarm with a suit on.

I like Alan Colmes. Much more than Hannity, who is a puffed up cock-of-the-walk. (He is good-looking, but that only can carry him so far. He’s just so full of himself and that’s a major turn-off.) I like Alan Colmes because he seems like a decent person. I can’t speak for his politics (what they were before) because I never heard of him before this show. :shrug:

So, count me as a person who likes Colmes and doesn’t necessarily like Hannity all that much. For instance, tonight Hannity could not stop interrupting a guest who kept on trying to bring up a very important point. The guy would say, “I just want to bring up this very important point…” and Hannity interrupted. Later on, the guest (looking a little annoyed), “Like I tried to bring up before…” and Hannity interrupted. I swear, I wanted to strangle Hannity. Finally the poor guest got to get his point in (and it was important—fancy that) as they were almost to the end credits. The guest had to talk really fast to complete his thought before the show literally ended.

Colmes, on the other hand, seems to be gentlemanly and a nice guy. Not full of himself. He’s a bit weird-looking, but I’ll take his weird-looking politeness over Hannity’s over-assured cocky good looks any day.

Colmes is supposed to be a liberal? I learn something new every day here.

But if he was effective he would have forced Hannity to back down and let the guest speak. It doesn’t matter how nice he is if he lets his co-host run the show. My vote is that he is a token liberal who knows he is merely window dressing.

I agree that he should be more assertive. I wonder of Fox hired him because they knew his mild-mannered personality would be no match for Hannity’s obnoxious aggressiveness.

If Vegas were laying odds on the possibility of that being true, I’d mortgage the house and sell the car and be on the first flight to Nevada. :smiley:

I remember Colmes from his days on WABC AM radio in New York, back in the early 80s. He was a solo act then, and a standard liberal… though, as I recall, his background was in standup comedy, NOT in broadcasting or in journalism.

So, his liberalism is not something he picked up rcently as a TV schtick- he’s still saying essentially the same things he used to say on WABC twenty years ago.

I’ve never met him, but I have a few friends in the radio business in New York, and they all say he’s a very nice guy off the air. And as I understand it, Sean Hannity thought so, too. When he was offered the chance to do a show on Fox News, he sought out Colmes to be his co-host because they knew and liked each other during their days in radio.

I’d go with option number two.

Hannity is an android. Disprove it. Once you’ve heard him once, that’s all there is. No depth.

Colmes used to do this great thing at the end of his radio show - can’t remember what he called it - where he’d let any nimrod speak for about five seconds. Now, everybody does it.

one night they had Jim Brown, the woman beating ex pro football player on the show, and hannity shut his mouth as he was clearly physically afraid of him. he was not the usual know it all big mouth asshole he usually is. he was afraid he would get slapped and it showed. brown said anything he wanted and hannity just agrred with him.

bill oreilly is the same weith jessie ventura. he lets him “spin” all he wants because he is obviously physically afraid of him.

I wouldn’t know, I’ve never heard Alan Colmes speak – and not for lack of trying to listen to that god-awful show.

I think Alan carried over his “let the nimrod speak” format to his new show. Oh, well.

I didn’t know anything of the history of these two guys, or the show. This kinda makes sense.

I’ve heard O’Reilly say that Alan Colmes is the “nicest guy on FoxNews” as well, so I tend to think he’s just a…nice guy. And also, somewhat mild-mannered. I prefer a mild-mannered guy over an in-your-face aggressive guy (for these kind of shows) any day. It’s just that he needs to be more assertive around Hannity.

He used to call it “radio graffiti.” Each caller was completely unscreened and got one sentence only. It was fairly entertaining in a bizarre sort of way. I think Limbaugh ripped off the bit for a while with his own unscreened segment but I forget what he called it.

“Sphincter-faced.” That’s perfect.