Albums where (almost) every song is known

I was putting together a playlist on Spotify and I happened to bring up the 1st Cars album. Wow, almost every song is known. They weren’t all singles, but almost all (7 of 9) get classic rock radio or movie exposure.

1. “Good Times Roll”
  2. “My Best Friend’s Girl”
  3. “Just What I Needed”
  4. “I’m in Touch with Your World”
  5. “Don’t Cha Stop”
  6. “You’re All I’ve Got Tonight”
  7. “Bye Bye Love”
  8. “Moving in Stereo”
  9. “All Mixed Up”

I know blockbusters like Thriller, Rumors, Born in the USA. I think albums like Bat out of Hell and the 1st Violent Femmes and 1st Weezer may have similar track lists where many people know every song.

Any other (not greatest hits collection) where almost all the tracks are “well known”.

I’ve heard every track from the first Boston album on classic rock radio.

Who’s Next gets a lot of play.

The most obscure tune might be Love ain’t for keeping" but I’ve heard that.

Led Zeppelin IV’s gotta be up there. Also Led Zeppelin II, for that matter.

Eagles Greatest Hits II

Dark Side of the Moon.

I was thinking this happened a lot when we were kids, back in the '80’s, and I was right. :smiley:
Thought you might find this interesting if you were looking for top hits, not so much if you just meant songs everyone knows.

Artist Album Year Number of top 10s

Michael Jackson Thriller 1982 7
Bruce Springsteen Born in the U.S.A. 1984 7
Janet Jackson Janet Jackson’s Rhythm Nation 1814 1989 7
Michael Jackson Bad 1987 6
George Michael Faith 1987 6
Janet Jackson Janet. 1993 6
Katy Perry Teenage Dream 2010 5
Lionel Richie Can’t Slow Down 1983 5
Janet Jackson Control 1986 5
Genesis Invisible Touch 1986 5
Madonna True Blue 1986 5
Huey Lewis and the News Fore! 1986 5
Whitney Houston Whitney 1987 5
Paula Abdul Forever Your Girl 1988 5
Bobby Brown Don’t Be Cruel 1988 5
New Kids on the Block Hangin’ Tough 1988 5
Bon Jovi New Jersey 1988 5
Milli Vanilli Girl You Know It’s True 1989 5
Various artists † Waiting to Exhale 1995 5
Fergie The Dutchess 2006 5
The Black Eyed Peas The E.N.D. 2009 5
Taylor Swift 1989 2014 5
… from the always reliable Wikipedia. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Billboard_Hot_100_chart_achievements_and_milestones#Most_top_ten_singles_from_one_album

LZ IV is the first one I thought of. I’ve heard all the songs on that album on classic rock radio. Some more regularly than others, of course.

I’d imagine many of the Beatles’ albums would qualify. I listened to* Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band* on an airplane flight a few months ago, and I recognized almost every song.

Fleetwood Mac’s Rumours.

Can’t remember “Four Sticks” getting much air time.

Another one would be Abbey Road.

But still–I’m only a minor LZ fan and I knew the riff off the top of my head. YMMV of course.

How well do people know Chicago Transit Authority? There were 3 singles plus “I’m a man” and “California blues and purples” and “Listen.”

I’m a huge fan so it’s hard to separate myself enough to know.

Neil Diamonds “Just for You” was a regular release LP, from 1966 or 67. Here is the track listing:

Girl, You’ll Be A Woman Soon 2:48
The Long Way Home 2:29
Red Red Wine 2:42
You’ll Forget 2:50
The Boat That I Row 2:40
Cherry Cherry 2:37
I’m A Believer 2:43
Shilo 3:23
You Got To Me 2:45
Solitary Man 2:33
Thank The Lord For The Night Time 2:55

I’ve always thought it was one of the most successful songwriters records ever. Two songs were not hits (One was released as a single after Neil left Bang though) Every other song has been a hit, some numerous times, and one was almost the biggest song of 1966: I’m a Believer by the Monkees.

That the main one that gets played “less regularly” than others, but I do hear it from time to time. “Battle of Evermore” and even “Going to California” are also generally lesser played, but still get spins frequently enough that if all you did was listen to the local classic rock station, you’d recognize them.

That’s the one I came to suggest. All the songs are pretty well known.

In terms of sheer airplay, exposure on soundtracks, games, and just recognition its hard to compete with Led Zeppelin IV…the only one that I almost never hear unless I listen to the album on my own is “The Battle of Evermore.”

Every track from Rush’s “Permanent Waves” (aside from the closing “Natural Science” suite) is probably familiar if you grew up on a diet of classic rock radio.

Billy Joel was loaded for bear with THE STRANGER, which featured Movin’ Out and Only The Good Die Young and Just The Way You Are and She’s Always A Woman and Vienna and Scenes From An Italian Restaurant and – well, The Stranger.

(The only real oddball is, ironically, Get It Right The First Time.)

Air, Talkie-Walkie.

You may not know them by name but you’ll certainly know the tunes. You could same the same for a lot of Brian Eno’s work as well.

For similar reasons, Play by Moby is one where (if you’re of the right age) you’d probably know each track as it played out, simply because he licensed every track to commercials and TV stations to play as beds for their promos and, in some cases, on the shows themselves. That album was everywhere on the TV for about 18 months.