XTC did this a few times - using a lyric from a previous album. I believe Oranges and Lemons was a lyric from a song on Skylarking. The next album, Nonsuch, was also a lyric from a track from Oranges and Lemons. Andy Partridge claimed that this was just coincidence - but they named a later album Apple Venus, which is a lyric from yet another XTC album…
Come to think of it, Radiohead sort of did this twice. The title of Pablo Honey comes from the third song, How Do You? Thing is that it’s not a lyric, it’s a sample of The Jerky Boys. I’m not sure how that counts.
Bad Religion - Process of Belief (from “Materialist”)
Maximo Park - A Certain Trigger (“Once, a Glimpse”)
Every Pixies album except Trompe le Monde
[ul]
[li]Doolittle (“Mr. Grieves”)[/li][li]Come on Pilgrim (“Levitate Me”)[/li][li]Surfer Rosa (“Oh My Golly”)[/li][li]Bossanova (“Hang Wire”)[/li][/ul]
[QUOTE=thelurkinghorror]
Every Pixies album except Trompe le Monde
[ul]
[li]Doolittle (“Mr. Grieves”)[/li][li]Come on Pilgrim (“Levitate Me”)[/li][li]Surfer Rosa (“Oh My Golly”)[/li][li]Bossanova (“Hang Wire”)[/li][/ul]
[/QUOTE]
Wow, I’m going to feel like a nerd for posting this, but:
They did a variant on this with the song “Ana” on Bossanova. The lyrics form an acrostic, in which the first letters of each line spell out “SURFER”:
This being, one presumes, a reference to an earlier album, Surfer Rosa.
[QUOTE=jackelope]
Wow, I’m going to feel like a nerd for posting this, but:
They did a variant on this with the song “Ana” on Bossanova. The lyrics form an acrostic, in which the first letters of each line spell out “SURFER”:This being, one presumes, a reference to an earlier album, Surfer Rosa.
[/QUOTE]
No, I don’t think it’s nerdy, because I might out nerd you. On Frank Black’s second solo album, Teenager of the Year, the song “Speedy Marie” does the same:
“Construction Time Again” (1983) from the song “Pipeline”
“Some Great Reward” (1984) from the song “Lie to Me”
“Playing the Angel” (2005) from the song “The Darkest Star”