Alcoholic Cupcake

It did not say it was incorrect or exclusive, I said it was confusing.

Vodka is largely alcohol mixed with water (based on the proof) and some other flavorants (essence of whatever). The alcohol will evaporate out much more quickly than the water. The volume in the bottle/glass will drop depending upon the percentage of alcohol vs water and how much alcohol evaps. You will not get concentrated alcohol. You will essentially be diluting the remaining vodka, as the water content will evaporate more slowly, leaving more water for the remaining alcohol.

This says they range from about 75 to 100 proof - that means the good stuff is 50% water, and it goes downhill from there.

Chronos said:

True, but vodka is water with something in it - alcohol.

Gee. I just throw up every twenty minutes for 24 hours and have to live on white starches for a couple months. Oh, and my Parkinson’s gets worse. And yes, it could happen with one cupcake, based on the recipe. I make something similar – and apple rum cake based on Julia Child’s Way to Cook – and one slice got me. Total estimated ethanol? 1/4 tsp.
Don’t discount this kind of thing. The fact is, nobody knows every biochemical thing that happens in your particular body, and the range of things that could happen is a lot wider than medical personnel want to admit.

Of course, it was unpardonably stupid of somebody who knew they had a sensitivity to eat anything without knowing what was in it.

I’m another alcohol-intolerant, but with me, the first symptom is nausea (for which a small sip of wine is enough to trigger it), though not enough to lead to actual vomiting. I don’t know what my more advanced symptoms are, since I took the hint from the nausea, and have never pressed on past that.

It took me a while to figure it out, because the situations where I would have a sip of wine correlated with situations with Grandma’s cooking, and so I initially thought I was just eating too much.

There are many reasons for alcohol intolerance. It has been, on rare occasions, the first noticed symptom of Hodgkin’s lymphoma.

I cook with wine quite a bit, but Kahlua has a content of caffeine. Maybe that was the cause of her reaction.

Did you maybe figure it out at Communion/Eucharist? I had a Catholic friend who believed you would only get sick or drunk from communion wine if you still had unrepented sin, and thus took it unworthily. He’d have been royally messed up by your condition.

This is supported in scientific literature: