Alcoholic Cupcake

Are you quite certain that you posted this in the proper thread?

My only slight caveat would be whether the cream part would interfere with the mixture. As the good Tranquilis says, you could give it a try.

Yep. Now, as to whether I served my purpose, maybe not.

gjdodger said:

Seems to be variance in how the word “nutrient” is used. Many people think of “nutrients” as “things that are good for you”. Vitamins and minerals and the like. Mere calories aren’t “nutrients” to that mindset.

Same reason I questioned the words “nutritive dextrose” on packages of artificial sweetener.

"According to the USDA, an open alcoholic beverage sitting out overnight will lose 30 percent of its alcohol content to evaporation. "

Can I get some clarification on what exactly this means? Is this saying that if I take a bottle of vodka, leave it open overnight, 30% of the alcohol content will evaporate, but without much changing in the actual volume of liquid in the bottle? Or is it saying the liquid evaporates with the alcohol? Or what?

I ask because I’m a pretty heavy drinker and I want to make sure I’m not wasting the alcohol in my booze and drinking some sort of watery remnant the next day.

A nutrient is a chemical that an organism needs to live and grow or a substance used in an organism’s metabolism which must be taken in from its environment. IOW, it’s fuel, or building blocks, or both. Alcohol is carbs, therefor fuel, therefor a nutrient.

Just because marketing agencies and common usage has twisted the meaning of the word, it does not follow that such usage is correct or exclusive.

??? I don’t think I understand your comment, Contrapuntal? Are you accusing the OP of posting just to pad count? (For those unaware, that means starting meaningless threads in order to have their post count higher. Seems useless to me – who cares what someone’s post count is? But there we are.)

Anyhow, if you think this is a meaningless OP, then the appropriate action is to REPORT the post (for those unaware, you do this by clicking on the little ! in the red triangle in upper right corner of post) and let the mods decide.

In this case, I totally don’t understand your comment: the OP is commenting on Cecil’s column. I don’t see any problem here, it’s not a meaningless post.

For goodness’ sake, it was a joke. He has 7 posts in 11 years.

I apologize for any misunderstanding.

With vodka, to a large extent, the liquid is the alcohol. Alcohol is not just water with something in it: It’s its own substance, that just happens to in some ways resemble water.

Cecil,

I’m not sure how much alcohol would remain in a single cupcake, but I can attest a Rum Cake made with Bacardi 151 may contain enough to knock out a young kid. I baked one for a church fund raiser, and everyone raved about it. They didn’t think a guy could bake. It wasn’t until one young boy (age 5) started wobbling and running into the walls, that people started asking questions.

I trusted my old mother that all the alcohol burned off, but then again she assumed I was using cheap 40 proof. I wasn’t and everyone asked what I used. I wasn’t asked back.

How much cake did this kid reputedly eat, and how much Bacardi 151 was in the recipe?

<mod>

Merged another thread on the same topic into this one.

</mod>

I would think that this would halve a lot to do with the surface area exposed, ambient temperature, and the wind speed. Given consistent temperature and wind speed, a vodka bottle left uncapped would suffer less than the same vodka deployed in a wide, shallow bowl.

Ah, sorry. Sometimes my sense of humor radar is less than fully accurate. And, of course, sometimes a joke needs a WEE bit more segue. :slight_smile:

:smack:

Thanks for explaining.

I knew it was some sort of joke but assumed it was a very clever word play that had wooshed over my head.

Another comment/question: Are Una and Fierra quite small (and female)? I was surprised that one ale (I’m assuming a bottle or can of roughly 350mL) raised their blood alcohol level to 0.04%.

The sum of our two body weights is about 230 pounds.

Ah, that makes sense then. I suppose it was an advantage for this test (higher sensitivity).

Not to imply that it would be a disadvantage generally. :slight_smile:

This topic is particularly interesting to me because I am highly responsive to alcohol. I prefer to call it an allergy because it’s easier but I am not sure what it is.

Even a quarter teaspoon of alcohol in liquid form (such as the bit of communal wine you are given during communion) is enough to make me cough violently and begin to feel lightheaded. This then proceeds to a feeling of pressure on the chest and the sensation of soreness in the chest akin to having a chest cold. This lasts anywhere from 1 hour to several days depending on the level of exposure.

I am physically unable to consume anything alcoholic. I also recently discovered that the effect can happen just from alcohol fumes. I found myself in a poorly ventilated room with people drinking red wine. After a bit I started feeling dizzy nauseated.

That having been said…I am still able to consume food that has been cooked with alcohol. This can include yeast bread (makes it’s own), cupcakes (cakes, cookies) with alcohol, wine reductions (so long as it is well reduced), and stews and chilies that have an alcohol base. Flambe however is right out, as is alcohol spiked candy.

My highly unscientific conclusion from this is that putting alcohol into other foods seems to change how alcohol is absorbed and processed. I would bet I would have no problem with the cupcakes… though I might with the frosting. If I have to use a liquor I generally boil it for a good while to get rid of most of the alcohol.

And I do have to point out that if this woman who initially wrote really had a problem with alcohol…why has she never had a reaction to vanilla? I have to hold my breath when I add vanilla and turn on the vent hood. Yet have never had any problems with cakes or cookies with vanilla in them. I do use alcohol free vanilla paste or whole vanilla beans for uncooked or little cooked foods.

Quite frankly I would be on the side of this woman being mentally ill rather than actually affected.

I have seen the purported results of studies that tested the power of suggestion by giving test subjects alcoholic beer/wine/etc. while telling them they were consuming NON-alcoholic booze, and more importantly vice versa. (As I recall, one early version of that study sparked some heated ethics debate because they didn’t inform the test subjects of the possibility of a switch.)

If you’ve been reading this, you can predict the results.

The test subjects that thought they were drinking real booze “got drunk” with increasingly poor performance on motor skills tests, mental tests, etc. The ones who thought they were “control” groups drinking non-alcoholic booze did increasingly poorer, but at half the rate or so of the deceived “drunks” or actual-control-group drinkers.

Damn, I wish I could hunt down those studies for further analysis.