Alcoholic Cupcake

Thanks for warning me that there is still alcohol in whatever has been cooked. I have a condition called hypoglycemic shock that occurs whenever I come in contact with alcohol. A small amount accidentally ingested will lower my body temperature into the 80’s, cause convulsions and eventual coma for a couple of days. I regard people who put a little something in my drink for a joke to be attempted murderers and react accordingly. If I cathc the poison before swallowing I can generally wash it out of my mouth before any damage is done.

I assume this is the article in question.

I dated an alcoholic cupcake once. Fun times, fun times.

So…do the cupcakes actually taste good?

Yes, they were wonderful. The best cupcakes I’ve ever made, and close to the best I’ve ever tasted.

Yum! Alcoholic cupcakes would go so well with the cookies I like to make.:cool:

My friend makes the most awesome cupcakes. Pineapple cupcakes (with chunks of pineapple in them), frosted with coconut frosting, and with an ASSLOAD of Rum.

mmmmm. She’s making them for the party I’m throwing tomorrow night, and I can’t wait!

What proof do you have of that?

80? 90? 110?

If you’re measuring rum with your derriere, you’re doing it wrong. Or very right, depending on the circumstances.

At least, you’re doing it fascinatingly.

Perhaps the sugar that passes through to the intestines is being converted by candida into alcohol. The flour in the cupcakes would also break down into fermentable sugar.

I invite you and anyone interested to give them a try - the recipe follows.

This recipe was found online by me when we were searching for recipes close to the one mentioned by the writer to Cecil. So it is not original. However, under US Copyright Law, recipes as series of instructions are not copyrightable (with some exceptions), and we did make a couple of small changes to the recipe from the original.

Kahlua Chocolate Cupcakes with Kahlua Buttercream Frosting
Makes 3 dozen small cupcakes.

• 3 eggs, separated into whites and yolks.
• 3/4 cup granulated sugar.
• 1/2 cup butter.
• 1 cup dark brown sugar, packed.
• 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, lightly packed.
• 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, packed.
• 1 1/2 tsp. baking soda.
• 3/4 cup strong cold coffee (instant is acceptable).
• 3/4 cup Kahlua.
• Kahlua Buttercream Frosting (recipe follows)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a medium bowl beat the egg whites until frothy, then beat in the granulated sugar until stiff peaks form. Cream the butter and brown sugar until fluffy. Beat in egg yolks one at a time. Sift flour, cocoa and baking soda together. Add to creamed mixture alternately with coffee and Kahlua; blend well. Fold the egg whites into the batter.

Fill prepared cupcake cups to about 2/3 full. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Ours finished in 20 minutes so be careful. Remove cupcakes from tins and cool on rack completely before frosting.

Kahlua Buttercream Frosting
Frosts 3 dozen small cupcakes.
• 7 Tbsp butter.
• 1 lb. powdered sugar.
• 3 Tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder.
• 4 Tbsp. Kahlua.
• 2-3 Tbsp. hot coffee.
In large bowl, cream together butter and powdered sugar. Add cocoa powder, Kahlua and hot coffee. Beat until smooth.

For cocoa powder, we used Penzey’s, and for brown sugar we (of course) used cane sugar.

I see what you did there. :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ll note that I’ve seen people acting very drunk whom could not possibly have actually been drunk - And seen them sober straight up instantly that they thought they might be busted. As an example, one of my brothers’ girlfriends in highschool - At a party, and she had some punch - Punch which I knew had not been spiked (seeing as I’d just finished making it!), but he told her that I was the kind of guy whom would spike the punch (true enough). Two small cups later, she was acting tipsy, and clinging to my brother in a rather chaming way. Another cup, and she was mauling him most shamelessly, whilst slurring her speach and staggering. Then her mother arrived to take her home. ping She was stone cold sober.

Now, it might have been the power of suggestion, or it may’ve been simply an excuse to climb all over my brother (either is plausible - Unlike me, he’s a charming and handsome devil), but either way 1) No way she was actually drunk, but 2) She insisted that the punch was spiked, even though no one else got ‘drunk’ and I was present in the room the entire time and no one had an opportunity to mess with it without I would’ve caught them at it. Hell, punch spiked to that level would’ve been obvious to anyone.

So I wonder - Perhaps the woman from the question was highly suggestable? Or maybe she did something embarrassing that she so wishes to deny, that she’s convinced herself that she must have been drunk…?

I’ve seen people act drunk when they could not be as well - in one case, some guys tricked another guy with non-alcoholic beer poured into a giant stein. He was falling down “Arthur-style” drunk, until they told him it wasn’t alcoholic. Then he sobered up, but then started accusing someone of “slipping something else” into his non-alcoholic drink to make him seem drunk - and remarkably, started acting drunk again. Anything to save face, I guess.

I’ve also seen a whole bevy of teenaged girls get “drunk” off of “Hawaiian Punch” which they had been told was made with Everclear. I think there must have been a feedback loop going on in that case. When informed there was no alcohol, there was a lot of embarrassment all around; no chance to save face.

Una my dear, I’m bettin’ they’re wonderful, far better obviously than my play on the word “proof.”

My Mom used to make some HIGHLY potent rum balls. I think the recipe went something like this.
Crumble up one chocolate pound cake into a big bowl. Pour a bottle of dark rum into the bowl. You can add chopped nuts or coconut

Mush up the cake with the rum and form the rum into balls about the size of a large grape.

These were ultra-potent because they were uncooked. I used to bring these into work for everyone once a year a week or so before Christmas, everyone always looked forward to Ann’s Mom’s Rum Ball Day.

In the case of young ladies together socially, I’ve seen some get themselves so giddy that they may as well have been drunk - A definte feedback loop, getting sillier and sillier, until they were falling over.

Can I make this with a different booze? I was thinking Irish Cream …

Cecil questions whether alcohol is a nutrient? Where do you think all the beer guts come from? It’s about as pure a nutrient as you can get, C2H5OH–nothin’ but carb.

Got a kitchen…? The time…? Go play!
:smiley:

There’s also the well-known phenomenon of the contact high: someone near you is getting high, so you start to feel high too just out of the social interaction.

I thought there was a rule against starting threads just to pad a post count.