Alias - Did Sloane know Jack and Sydney were not on his side?

My wife and I are rewatching Alias. By the way, it isn’t that great when you know it more or less goes nowhere. Anyway, it is OK and we are in the second season.

So, does/did Sloane know that Jack was betraying him? What about Sydney? When was it revealed either way?

Sloane did figure it out but how long he knew before hand isn’t completely clear. Long enough that he was able to make plans for it.

What do you mean “it isn’t that great when you know it goes nowhere”?

I guess I enjoy the show for its plot and how good it is on an individual episode level as well as overall. While I agree that by season five, things are very muddled, seasons one to three and most of four are still quite good.

This isn’t an attack on you! I am curious as to what you meant by that statement.

Thanks!

vislor

I used to love that show, at least for the first 2 or 3 seasons. Once they got into all the Rambaldi device mumbo jumbo and that Sark(?) guy slipped through their fingers for the 20th time, I gave up on it.

For me, it was the mythology stuff around Rumbaldi that made it interesting. However, I found that they obfuscated it too much and then completely dropped it around season four so to go back to it in season five was strange. They needed better direction than happened.

I still think seasons one and two are very good. Like control-z said, though, sometimes the drama of having another spy in their midst got old. I call that the “24” syndrome.

vislor

When the network started pressuring them to end the SD-6 storyline and avoid the Rambaldi stuff, it really broke the show down. I know they got back to that stuff in the end, but it made seasons 3, 4, and most of 5 kind of bad.

What plans did he make? I guess he finds out for sure when SD-6 goes down.

If you have gotten to the point where SD-6 goes down, then it should be obvious that he had many plans in play.

While I agree that seasons 3-5 didn’t keep up with the mythology as well as I would have liked, at least in season 3 it made sense to me why they did it the way they did. But, yes, I don’t think they did as well in season 4 or 5. In fact, in re-watching it a year or two ago, I got to season 5 and re-watching it fizzled out for me after two DVDs, I think, because as you said, it wasn’t as good then. And the ending wasn’t very satisfactory to me, either. About as good as BSGs, imo.

vislor

The inconsistent characterizations (a trademark of Abrams’ work, it turns out) were what got me to stop watching.

That, and the endless “Sidney does something rash and idiotic based on some crazy, paranoid theory but it’s OK because it turns out she’s actually right about said crazy, paranoid theory!!!” plot twists grew extremely tiresome. The only thing worse than a whiny, annoying character is a whiny, annoying character who’s always right.

Heh. My friends and I who watched Alias together when it aired have a joke about how every covert mission should have a “Sark-check”, after watching a particularly absurd scene where the characters are all of a sudden in night-vision getup that hides their faces, until one is revealed as Sark, and my friend AB said “Ok, new plan: before the next mission, we all take off our masks, and check to make sure that none of us is Sark”.

Love the Sark-check idea. What a great actor, though – at first, he seemed too young to be a seriously creepy/threatening character… but even when I see him in other shows, he does creepy/threatening quite well.

But to the OP: I think Sloan was written (and well-played) as suspicious of everyone, but with such a dash of Nixonian hubris that he wouldn’t worry too much that an ordinary mortal could do him and his grandiose plans any real damage.

And add to that his family issues: he clearly wanted to be some kind of father figure to Sydney*, and a brother/rival/confessor to Jack.

Another great creepy/threatening character. It’s hard to see Ron Rifkin on Brothers & Sisters and not suspect him of plotting to take over the world (or at least building a Rambaldi Giant Hovering Dodge Ball™ in the basement).

*I was surprised that it was never revealed that Sloan was somehow Sydney’s father. And relieved.
J.J. avoided an easy cliche there, but it’s hard not to believe that he played with setting it up in the first season.

I know. It’s like the Cigarette Smoking Man with Mulder or Uncle Oscar with Buster in Arrested Development.

The are practically winking at you every time they discuss it.

I thought of another thing that bothered me about Alias. They never missed a chance to torture Sydney. That got old too.