All in the Family question

OK, last week I was watching All in the Family on TV Land. It was a two part episode about how Edith and Archie are going to California to see Gloria and Meathead for Christmas. Apparently Meathead hurt his back and they couldn’t make the trip out to see Archie and Edith.
Well, in episode one it becomes clear that Gloria and Meathead don’t know that the parents are coming to California. The episode ends with the Bunkers leaving for the airport.

Question? What happened in episode 2? I missed it!
Zette

Work a little bit harder on improving your
low self esteem, you stupid freak!
Click here for some GOOD news for a change Zettecity

I’m going off memory here, but I think that’s the one where they find out (when they arrive) that Mike and Gloria are having a lot of problems and are considering splitting up.

In fact, Gloria confesses to having had an affair.

Don’t remember any more than that.

Anyone else? Details! Details!
Zette

Where do you get the idea in episode one it is a suprise that they come out there?? I didn’t seem like that to me at all.

I remember it as Gloria and Michael being split up. They have to pretend to be living together again while Archie and Edith are there. I think that it ends up with Gloria confessing everything. I’m looking online for script summaries, but nothing so far. Damn, I remember Gloria telling Edith that she wore dark gasses because the smog bothered her eyes and made them red, but I can’t remember how the episode ends!

Markxxx,
I think it was a surprise because it was. It is clear in the first episode that they tried to call the kids and tell them they’re on thier way, but couldn’t get an answer. In fact, as their airport ride arrives they hang up the phone again after an attempt to reach them.

Archie also comments that it’s a bad idea to just show up there unannounced.

I get the idea now, anyway. Thanks for posting, guys. I didn’t watch this show as a kid, and these episodes are all new to me :slight_smile:
Zette