Allergy sufferers - how to you carry your Epipens?

Over the past few months I have been having some… interesting medical difficulties which have resulted in a few trips to the emergency room and consultations with several medical specialties. I’m still awaiting the results of some tests, but the general consensus is that I have mastocytosis. While not technically an allergy, the results are effectively the same, and I now find myself in possession of two Epipens and an inhaler.

My question to you is - Where do you carry this stuff? I’m currently a full-time student, so no one cares if I have a backpack or wear cargo pants. However I am about to enter into the wonderful IT world, and it is very likely I will end up at a job with a dress code.

Any advice or words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

Since you’ve been to the ER multiple times (and I’m assuming you got epinephrine while you were there), I’d say just make it part of the stuff you carry around in your pocket. Keys, wallet, phone, epipen.
If you wear a suit/sport jacket, it could go in an inner pocket so it’s out of the way, just make sure you don’t leave it behind if you go somewhere without your jacket.

Also, before you leave one at work/one at home, read up on biphasic reactions. My allergy doc requires everyone to get two epipens when the start getting allergy shots. One day I broke out in hives while at the office just after getting some shots. They gave me some epi while I was there and a few hours later I broke out again. Now I understand why doctors make you get two. People complain about the expense, but you do need a backup. Also, if you only get one, what happens when you use that one and something happens before you can get it refilled.

One last thing, if you aren’t going to keep it “on” you. Rather in your desk, in your backpack etc, if you can make sure someone else knows where it is. I have a friend that, when we go out to eat (say, with a group of people) she’ll pull it out and say ‘everyone, if something happens, my epipen is right here, in my purse’. Granted, it’s not like having a seizure, but it’s good for someone else to know where to find it.

The pens I have are a little large to carry comfortably in a pocket. I bought a small shoulder bag that fits everything quite nicely (as well as my phone and wallet). At night I keep one pen and the inhaler on my nightstand, with the second pen and everything else in the bag nearby.

I am definitely going to keep at least one pen and the inhaler on me at all times. When my first attack occurred, I was actually able to drive myself to the ER (dumb move, but I had no idea what was happening, just that something was wrong). However, the last attack I went from normal to flat on my back and gasping for air in about 5 minutes.

ETA: You did remind me of one relatively bright side: No allergy shots.

If you work for a company with a dress code, you could ask them to make some “accommodations” for your medical circumstances. I would think that you could even legally compel your company to do so.

I carry the pair with me in my messenger bag, the pair leave at home with my bunch of medications that I am not carrying around with me. [I have one of [these](http://www.westernhealthhomecare.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/medication-box.bmp), and I carry the days box around with me so I can take them on schedule.]