Almost Lost D This Past Week

She had developed gout and the doc put her on an anti-inflammatory.

After taking it for three days she started getting very uncomfortable in her abdomen and last Friday morning we went to the ER. They did a CT and the doc said he found free air in there. “Free Air” is a medical term for air where there’s not supposed to be any, so no jokes, please and thanks.

What had happened was that D had a perforated intestine and even though the hole was tiny the fluid leaked out as well, so she was transferred to another hospital for surgery.

Luckily, one of the surgeons was the guy who did her gastric bypass 5 years ago, and since he knew exactly where and what he had done he was able to laperascopically (with 5 incisions) repair her intestine. Even though she ran a low-grade fever the docs never said she was septic and the fluid wasn’t purulent, so I think we dodged a major bullet.

Long story short, my wife was in the hospital for 6 days and we came home Thursday of this week. She still has the tube, it is still draining and I am keeping a close watch on her temp and changing her dressing at least three times a day.

I italicized “gastric bypass” up there so that those of you who are docs or medically savvy would see it and say, “Ah-HAH! People who have had gastric bypasses should not take anti-inflammatories!”

I guess she forgot and so did the PCP (gen med doc - not the one who did the GB).

Had the worst happened there would have been a big hole in my loving heart, not to mention her family would also suffer a great loss due to the fact she cares for her elderly sister and brother - takes them to the doc, regulates their med intake, etc. And then, of course, there’s me, who is trying best he can to keep a low profile and not be a burden.

Life threatening? The doc who saw the CT told us that the perforation was near where the heart is, and he said yeah, it is life threatening.

So we all had a rude awakening, and I was scared that I might lose my wife, my friend, my partner, my lover, my rock and my life. (meaning, of course, that my wife is my life - nort that I would kill myself or anything!)

I hope I am writing the right words, because I don’t want this to appear that it’s a “poor Bill” - type thing, because it isn’t about me, it’s about almost losing the most wonderful, kind, patient and caring woman I have ever known.

So the crisis is over and we’re in the “aftermath” I reckon. We live upstairs, so I help keep her steady as we navigate our way down, and I’m being Mr. Mom (with a lot of guidance from D, of course) and learning what colors to wash together and how much bleach to use, etc, etc.

Thanks for reading this.:slight_smile:

Bill

That’s great news, Quasi! I’m delighted to hear that she (and you) are okay. And no, it didn’t sound like it was all about you in the slightest. I wish you both the very best of luck.

As do I - Glad to hear she’s doing better.

Wow … I am very glad it got caught in time! Giver her my best wishes for a fast recovery.

I’m glad she’s doing well.

There’s certainly many types of ‘aftercare’ involved after having gastric pass, isn’t there? My dad ran out of his acid reducer for about 1 week and ended up with a bleeding ulcer which taxed his heart and caused a major heart attack about a week before Thanksgiving. It took all of us as a family to keep it together. I’m glad that D has you around to love her and take care of her, too.

Glad to hear she made it through, Quasi.

Oh, god. That has to be horrifying for the both of you. I’m glad it all ended reasonably well.

Quasi, you’ve mentioned several times the help D has given you through your illness. Now you (and your own medical training) can take care of her! :slight_smile:

Sorry to wake up to this news, but glad to hear she’s recovering. Best to both of you!

I was just wondering where you were today! I’m glad everything is okay with you both.

Yet another reason to hate gout. :mad:

Best wishes for a speedy recovery. Good to hear she’s getting better. Good luck.

Quasi, Ijust emailed you. (hug)

I’m so glad that the lovely Dondra is on the mend and feeling better so now you can get back to your training on the bike for your ride in September for the critters.

For those who don’t know about Bills ride in September please check his website for the details and sign the guestbook and wish him well. He can use the encouragement with the setbacks he’s been having. Thanks

http://www.c2cr2c.com/index.html

Hugs and kisses to Dondra and keep some for yourself

Update on D:

Took her to the doc Wednesday and she had her drain removed, so all is going as planned.

Another visit next Wed. for adjustment of meds (she takes a slew of antibiotics) and hopefully she’ll be all set to go with me come September.

Thanks for your good thoughts on her/our behalf!:slight_smile:

We’re very lucky to have such wonderful friends and D sends her love, as do I.

Bill

God, I was away for a week and missed this! I’m so sorry D and you went through all this, but it’s good that you thought of going straight away to the hospital. Scary stuff.

I’m relieved that you’re both ok.

I read Bearflag’s baby thread yesterday, but didn’t see your thread.

Quasi, I missed this when it first happened. I am very, very glad to hear that everything was caught in time, and that D is recovering well. All my best to you both!

I wouldn’t have known about Bearflag’s little one if a dear friend hadn’t told me, so please don’t feel bad, okay?

D and I wish the best for them all!

Bill

Dayum, Quasi. That’s more than a little scary. Send her my best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Yikes–missed this the first time around. I’m very glad to hear that D’s going to be all right. Good for the both of you for going to the ER instead of just ignoring her symptoms!

I missed this too. Glad she’s getting better. Speedy recovery! And try to enjoy being the caretaker for a while!

You may want to do your own research on this, as I have no idea how it would work with someone who has had a gastric bypass, but my husband has gout, along with most of the men on his mother’s side of the family. He was told that taking tart cherry pills would help greatly with the inflammation, reducing the amount and severity of attacks. He was skeptical, but tried it anyway, and it worked. I don’t suggest many natural remedies, but this one has worked for everyone I know who has tried it. I even suggested it to a co-worker who also has gout, and he swears by it now.

He uses these, but there are many other brands out there. Tell her to ask her doctor about it.