Am I a Monster?

Actually, the White Anglo-Saxon Pagans I know would probably be attracted to that. Many paths to the goal, and all that. :slight_smile:

But as for insects, if you can, wait until winter, then knock down the frozen nest and its contents. Worked for me, no poison needed, when I found a nest in the sunshade on my trailer…

Frozen? Things freeze outdoors? That sounds cool. I should move up north!

I don’t run around randomly killing wasps. I run away from them. I only took out that nest that was right by my door. It’s not like I make a major dent in the world wasp population.

Once I was about to get into bed in the same apartment when a wasp landed ON MY PILLOW. Major freakout time. And then a dead wasp. Hey, it was in MY territory!

Don’t slap, brush. Else you will drive the stinger into you.

(Note to self:I thought I had “they are just trying to make a living” copyrighted. Speak to patent attorney.)

Sorry. I didn’t fully notice your location.

The trailer, I should mention, is located inear Algonquin Park, in an area that regularly sees -35C in winter. Clearly, your experience may be different. :slight_smile:

The thing is, when you are done with your war on the wasps.
You must know that in the future adult wasps will tell their babies to behave or nealla will come get them. The mention of your name will send a shudder through their bodies as if someone stepped on their grave. All of wasp killers will be measured by you and they would come up lacking. You are not a monster. Yes, you do lurking in the darkest corners of their minds and when baby wasps head something in the closet they know it is you coming for them, You nealla, are more than that. You are legend.

A few days ago I happened on a ground hornet nest in my garden. Only one of the little bastards stung me before I could get the wasp spray out. I’m here to testify that my killing rampage was a Good Thing[sup]TM[/sup].

Well, whether or not you’re a monster, we can be pretty sure that you’re not Monstre[sup]TM[/sup].

When I was a 9 or so, we had a hornet nest in our back yard. Every once in a while one of them would get its wings wet while trying to get some water from our pool and end up floating on the top. If I saw one before it stopped moving, I’d scoop it up in my hand, dump out the water, and hold it on my open hand while I waited for it to dry out and fly away. I didn’t get stung once.

One day, I saw one of the hornets floating in the pool, scooped her up, and she nailed me right in the palm. I shook her off onto the concrete next to the pool and went inside to put some baking soda on the sting. I told my dad what happened and he told me that earlier he’d sprayed the nest. I got stung for the first time after a few weeks of rescuing hornets because she was dying from a neurotoxin.

I won’t give you advice on what you should or shouldn’t do about the wasps, that’s up to what you feel comfortable with. I just wanted to point out that unless someone in your family is allergic to stings you can live with them with no real problem. I certainly had no problems until my dad decided to poison them.

IMO, no. Leave them alone, they won’t do you any harm.

I had some build a nest just outside my bedroom window several months ago. It was wonderful to watch them at work, I used to check on them every morning first thing out of bed. Unfortunately their nest fell down in a storm and they went away, but I miss them. The nest itself was fantastic, this really fine paper-like stuff, I gave it to my girlfriend to do something arty with.

Check out post #39, the part about:

I deal with mites, its rough. Bumblebees are better pollinators than wasps and are much less aggressive.

All wasps are not aggressive. The paper-making wasps around here are quite docile. But I did grow up in the midwest where there are some pretty touchy wasps. I even got stung a few times. Fortunately I’m not allegic. If I were I probably would be much more prone to wipe out nests in my vicinity.

Kill them. Kill them all. Kill them now.

Personally, I believe that the world would be a much better place if we exterminated any species with more than 4 limbs! I also feel it would be a better place if we exterminated any species that produces reality TV, so take my opinions for what they are worth.

Well, not spiders. They eat the wasps, when they can get them.

Won’t someone please think of the wasp children?

No wasps or other, icky, multi-limbed monstrosities, then no spiders needed. They, too, can fall like wheat before my scythe.

Someone said the world would end if there were no ants to clean up.

How will you feel when the little baby WASPs ask, “Mommy, when will Daddy come home?”
:frowning:

Overjoyed. And when Mommy and little Baby Wasps’ chamber starts filling with soapy water, DDT, and/or uranium-87436, I’ll do a jig.

Bwah-hah-ha-ha!

Really? The wasps on the Great Salkehatchie Swamp attack if you look at them wrong, land ass first and, unlike honeybees, can sting multiple times!!! :eek:

I seem to have misplaced my periodic table…

I’ll back up David Simmons on this. Common paper wasps in the genus Polistes aren’t usually all that aggressice. I had small nests on three non-consecutive years under the eave of my former porch, five feet from the front door. In all that time I was never once stung, harassed or even menaced.

In general I’d follow tomndeb’s advice. If they look to be in a place where they will directly interact with people or animals passing right next to their nest on a regular basis, get rid of them. If not leave them be.

• Tamerlane