Am I a Monster?

No freakin’ way. Kill 'em all.

Ashes[sup]2[/sup] I don’t doubt this for a second, being the southern small town thing and all, but dang if this wouldn’t have been great in last week’s MMP! :smiley:

Y’know what makes it perfect? The guy’s actual given name is Bucky!

Cartooniverse, why would a snake need to carry around a knitted blanket? It’s summer!

I once sprayed a very small wasp nest that the little bastards had started building not three feet from my front door. I still remember laughing maniacally as I did it – nice try, you little bastards! – while being ready to jump into my apartment and slam the door if any of them came after me.

Wasps scare the crap outta me. I will shriek and run away if I see one. No way was I letting them move in next to MY place.

Death to wasps, I say!

whimper Wasps. Ugh. We used to have serious waspage problems. Once, when the NinjaDog was just a wee li’l pup, not quite a year old, she’d gone snuffling around where there was a wasp nest nearby, and ended up with a snout the size of a cantaloupe.

Kill the pesks, now. Be swift and merciless.

In the window, right?

Do you have a screen?

Is the nest outside the screen?

If the nest is outside the screen and the window is away from any human or pet activity, leave them alone and enjoy watching them through the summer, then knock down the nest they have abandoned next winter. (You can even cut it open with a butcher knife to see how it looks on the inside.)

If there is no screen or they are building where they will interfere with the passage of humans or pets, wait until after dark, preferably on a cool evening, then spray wasp spray (that is expelled in a thin jet for a distance of 10 or more feet) into the nest until they have all stopped moving.

I am not in favor of killing the little critters, but I will do so if it is necessary to protect mammalian critters.

That left a mental image which will be with me all day.

I just killed a bunch that were building a nest in a bell on my deck. I got them before they could get me. Survival of the fittest, my friend…survival of the fittest.

I’ve been a beekeeper for over 25 years. Wasps serve no usful purpose and they will sting the piss out of you, too. Get a pump spray bottle filled with dish washing soap and spray them. It’s cheap. It’s easy. (I like cheap and easy :smiley: ) It’s safe, the soapy water knocks em off the nest and you can walk away. :rolleyes: It’s not hard on the environment. :cool:

–Beaming-- One is pleased to be of service !

I guess that says it all. You’ve got to be useful to people and not be an inconvenience. Otherwise you get slaughtered.

Bring back DDT. Pelicans are not useful to us and they eat fish that we could otherwise catch.

Glass Parking Lot!

:dubious: Pelicans don’t sting me randomly. They don’t set up shop in my mailbox, right next to my door. In short, they are not pests to me! And…there’s a lot more wasps than pelicans. I mean, have you read the stats on how many bugs there are out there? They’re going to outlive us all.

Your analogy holds no water.

Those Damn Buggers. If only Ender was here to save us all.

Or in the words of the horrible Starship Troopers movie.

Everyone’s doing their part to fight the buggers, want to know how you can help? Do you want to know more?

Well, Anaamika, along the same lines, wasps don’t bother me so why do I care if they bother you?

When did I say you needed to care if they bothered me or not?

I was just pointing out the flaw in your analogy. There are legitimate reasons why wasps are considered pests and pelicans are not. If you had limited your analogy to, say, bumblebees, I could see your point. I don’t think bees are a pest, I think they’re rather cute and fuzzy. But they do sting.

Well, your original post wan’t on the mark either. I’m reasonably sure there is nothing at all random about a wasp’s stinging. And I don’t think that you, or I or hlanelee know whether or not wasps are “useful” by whatever standards hlanelee was using. Probably those of a beekeeper. And I defend my analogy. The post I was replying to stated that “wasps are of not use and they sting.” Well pelicans are of no use and they take fish that I might otherwise catch. The fact that you aren’t bothered by pelicans and are by wasps is irrelevant.

I don’t want to get to serious about this because I regard the hulabaloo about wasps as overreaction. But the post I was replying to implied that anything in which we can’t find of benefit it us and which pester us should be wiped out. I’m not comfortable with that attitude.

I am. So we agree to disagree.

Soapy water is hardly the same as DDT. It is an environmentally friendly spot treatment to eliminate a potentially dangerous pest from a residence. It does no harm to anything other than the intended target. DDT does dangerous collateral damage as does Sevin and Malithion and Diazinon, and etc. Beekeeping is difficult enough with natural predators. Two years ago, I dragged the guy spraying for mosquitos out of his truck and threatened him with bodily harm if he came within a mile and a half of my house again.

???

Have you fixed the mite problem, then? Because in a large section of North America, wasps are providing the pollination (at a reduced rate, of course) that we used to rely on bees to provide.

And I have never been stung by a wasp that I was not (inadvertantly) attacking. I have destroyed a few nests where I was concerned that they would attack some person who would freak out, but I have never been stung by any of the wasps or hornets that have entered my house when I captured and released them.
I get a wasp nest in the window above my window-mounted air conditioner every year. Since they build in the portion of the window that is blocked off from my bedroom, I just leave them alone until October, then knock down the nest when I pull the a/c out to store it for the winter.