Am I the only one who knows how to pull down a goddamned statue?

They should replace it with a big ass statue of Jebediah Springfield.

Oh, come on. That’s completely different.

I can just picture Bart up there sawing off Saddam’s head and then Homer and Bart fleeing the scene.

True. Taiwan isn’t recognized by the U.N., which will only make it easier to excuse.

I was a little surprised when the crowd left and came back with a tank. Do you think the Marines were going to let them pull the statue down themselves, and then they realized they couldn’t so they went and asked for help?

I was also a little nervous when I saw everybody swarming the tank, but I guess the soldiers knew what they were doing.

Very nice to see.

So, once WMD’s are found you will become a hawk?

What, they got no C4??

Slate works fast. They have an article comparing statue destructions techniques in various countries.

http://slate.msn.com/id/2081309/

All I know is that if I become a dictator, all of my statues will be booby-trapped. Wanna pull my statue down, bitch? You gotta EARN IT. One ton of C4 and carpet nails in the statue base as a final farewell…

-Tcat

Are you seriously proposing that the citizens of Taiwan would react with celebration and cheering to a Chinese Communist invasion?

How do you figure China will get the U.S. to sit on it’s hands and ignore it’s treaties with Taiwan?

Where will China get the amphibious equipment needed for an invasion?

Oh, and what about those nukes that Taiwan very likely has stashed?

Other than the above points, I find your scenerio extremely credible. :rolleyes:

Geez, how…stoneage. Couldn’t we have blown it up with a tank or crashed a flying saucer into it or something? :smiley:

Weirddave, we’ll just have to wait and see, won’t we?

Well it did look like Saddam was motioning “Here, pull my finger.”

Oh, I totally agree that they want to, there’s no question about that.

While I don’t believe for a second that we would let China invade Taiwan, I have one serious question:

How can we have treaties with a government we don’t recognize?

Hey, what about the poor unemployed Iraqi painters and sculptors? What are they supposed to do without Saddam to glorify?

Well, dammit, I’m just that much more worried that they’ll think they can get away with it, now that we’ve shown the world that nations can do whatever the fuck they want so long as nobody is willing to stop them.

Nations have always been able to get away with anything as long as:

Nobody was willing to stop them (See Germany, 1933-39)

They were strong enough to do what they wanted to do (See USA, Iraq 2003)

I think neither of these conditions is met in Taiwan.

The citizens of Coruscant just used rope (and maybe a little of the force) to yank down their statue.

Which leads me to envision the Iraqis singing the Ewok victory song from the original version of “Return of the Jedi.”