Am I the only one who knows how to pull down a goddamned statue?

Umm, Slotar, I just don’t think that “crushing the nuts of victory” is something we really want to encourage, do you? :slight_smile:

Fair enough. But my larger point remains. “The war in Iraq was illegal!” is going to quickly get just as tiresome as “Bush stole the election!”

As for the the taunting, I agree that it’s usually out of place. On the other hand, I have no doubt that had the war been a complete disaster, many anti-war folks would have engaged in their own orgy of I-told-you-sos.

Extremely probable. And I agree that would’ve been just as inappropriate (actually even more so, I think).

But remember, even the first, relatively easy (NOTE “relatively”) part of our plan for Iraq isn’t over yet. We still have to quell resistance elsewhere in the country, establish an interim government that isn’t largely unpalatable to the Iraqis themselves, and work with other nations to rebuild the country without appearing as if we’re colonizing or subjugating them.

I hope that the apparent acceptance of US control of the city by the Bagdhad citizens shown pulling down the statue is a precursor of things to come. I hope the amazingly quick military advances and the surprising evaporation of the Republican Guard division mean that the combat stage is almost over. And most of all, I hope we show wisdom and sensitivity in transitioning the country into a new form of self-rule.

But I think guarded optimism is not an inappropriate outlook, and arguably uninhibited celebration is.

(By the way, I apologize about the “eat shit” and “moron” comments. The first is not a very nice suggestion, and the second is obviously untrue. mea culpa )

Excellent points, xeno, ones that mirror my concerns exactly.

Even though I’m against the current war, I thought it was a great scene to see the statue pulled down, and the relief on the faces of the locals was, well, embiggening :slight_smile:

In Soviet Russia, statue topples YOU!

Sorry, but I always wanted to do that.

So what would an OSHA (or insert your local Union/Safety oversight group) approved statue destruction require?

1. Goggles and face masks for everyone.
  2. 30 classroom hours of safety videos.
  3. A 5 year apprenticeship before earning a master statue destroyer certificate.
  4. Warning sirens and clearly marked safety zones.
  5. Six months of public hearings and environmental impact statements.
  6. Seventeen permits relating to zoning, noise, statue disposal, hours of operation, and child safety regulations?

Anything else?

NAT, a whole bunch of stickers on the statue labeling what were the appropriate destruction methods… :slight_smile:

…and the construction helmets and steel-toed boots!

And a union rep. on site at all times.

One more thing: when that statue finally did come down, it was around 6:50 PM… we’re talking time-and-a-half, people!

:slight_smile:

Don’t forget the part about filing all the forms in triplicate. You just can’t be allowing permits left and right without the triplicate forms!