Am I the only one worried about the new Batman?

I greatly enjoyed Batman Begins. I loved The Dark Knight but I am wondering if the success of TDK broke something because I have yet to see an ad or trailer for The Dark Knight Rises that gets me excited. Everything I have seen makes it look like an overly serious boring mess. I really hope I am wrong but am I the only one who is getting nervous?

“Ward, I’m worried about The Batman.”

It’s a conclusion. Usually a third part of a trilogy is independent or open-ended, but this one is an ending to the story. It therefore has a different feel to it.

I’m not excited about any movies anymore, but I think that’s just a part of getting older, especially after having seen so many trailers that the tricks don’t work as effectively on me anymore. It may be that’s in play for you also.

Whilst I’m not worried, I’m definitely uninterested in this movie, and it’s usually my kind of thing. I’ll probably still go see it at some stage, but it’s not on my ‘must see’ list.

Yep.

Well, I was excited about The Avengers. Spider-Man and DKR? Not so much.

It looks like the character of Bane should be played well.
Catwoman is more problematic. Perhaps Hathaway can pull it off.

Christopher Nolan is one of the best directors working today, at the height of his abilities; he’s Coppola in 1977, Scorsese in 1980 or Spielberg in 1982. I’d be excited if he decided to film the phone book.

Are you prepared?

I am going to have to hear some reviews before I see it in the theater. I don’t like what they’ve done with Bane and I don’t like the whole setup for and feel of the story. I have grave doubts that I am going to like the movie.

Don’t, A - J was stunning but I felt like K - So just retread the same ground and Sp - Z failed to resolve a lot of the major plot points and ended abruptly with no real attempt at resolution.

I’m hoping it is because they are keeping the best parts of the movie…in the movie, instead of showing them in the commercials or trailers.

I know very little about the core plot, which I like before a movie comes out.

I am also concerned. Although I liked the The Dark Knight, on re-watching it I realized that the Joker was the only thing I really liked about it. Take Heath Ledger out and what do you have? Nolan and Ekhardt managed to make Two Face boring, the Japanese business man guy was like a villain from early 90’s Rising Sun by Michael Chrichton, it could have used some serious editing to keep its bloated run time in check, and the less said about the cell phone sonar the better. That movie would have been mediocre at best.

That’s what I fear about the new one - that it will be The Dark Knight without the Joker.

I don’t see how this movie could be any darker than “the Dark Knight”, which to me was technically brilliant, but the story seemed like such a yawning black hole pit of despair and nihilism. I’ve read reports that playing the Joker exacerbated Heath Ledger’s depression and contributed to his ultimately fatal tailspin. I can believe that.

Also, the timing of this movie might be a problem. The Avengers was a huge hit, there’s a new Spider-Man movie out now, and just in general there have been so many superhero movies (many of bad quality) out in the past couple years that I’m burned out on them. Being a former avowed comic book geek, I can’t believe I’m saying this but I’m sick of superhero movies.

That’s why I don’t think of it as a comic book movie - to me, it’s Nolan’s follow-up to Inception. The fact that it happens to be about Batman is incidental.

I just hope Bane’s voice is coherent in the movie. I don’t want to spend half the movie trying to figure out what he said in that muffled mask of his

I’ll be surprised if anything good comes of it, but I also think Nolan has yet to make anything remotely compelling and I doubt this will ever happen. I do like the idea of Anne Hathaway as Catwoman - any promise this movie holds rests on her shoulders.

It’s not just you. My gf and I agree that it looks terrible. I thought “Batman Begins” was OK and really hated the second movie, although I like comic book movies as a genre.

I’m sure he’ll be fine, as long as he’s prepared.

Good points. And I’ll add the action sequences were often a mess: confusing, jumbled, and ridiculous. The new take on the Joker was all that made the movie palatable. The trailers for the new movie are on that level. The only possible hope for it is that Bane is somehow made as interesting as the Joker and that seems totally impossible.

That’s actually why I’m worried. Nolan is easily my favorite director right now. I’ll probably have a marathon of all his movies before DKR. But even the best directors have missteps. I think the longer he goes without one the more nervous I’m going to be about his movies.

That being said, I’m super excited for DKR and I think it’s going to be great.