Am I the only person who has seen "The Trotsky"?

Apparently the only one who thinks it’s worth a thread at least.

The Trotsky is very witty and well done Canadian film about a high school kid (played by Jay Baruchel) who believes he is the reincarnation of Leon Trotsky. It’s a little bit ‘coming of age’ movie, a little bit ‘teen rebel’ movie, a little romance, a little history,…

It’s been running on The Movie Channel, so I’ve seen it 3 or 4 times in the past couple of months. I just love this movie. It has the perfect light touch. Baruchel is just terrific as he tries to make his life in modern day Montreal a parallel to Trotsky’s. And there’s actually quite a bit of moral, historical and political education thrown is, but it’s very thoroughly disguised the presentation.

Eh, this is almost a witnessing, but WTF, it’s a movie and I like it.

I liked it, too. It’s on Netflix streaming if anyone’s interested. Though I have a feeling that if I knew that kid in real life I’d have to smack him. Ah, well, idealistic teenagers - what are ya gonna do, eh?

It’s funny and smart and (bonus!) it’s got Saul Rubinek as our hero’s exasperated father. A good curl-up-on-the-couch-with-your-knitting movie.

Seen it? You just did gave a very good description of one of my brothers. Without the romance, I guess.

I started watching it, but turned it off after only about ten minutes. I don’t want to be around such people in real life, so why would I watch a movie about them? I’m especially annoyed by their affectation of being “rebellious,” when all they want to do is overthrow an existing dictatorship to replace it with (surprise, surprise) themselves. If the movie deals with that later in the plot, I might be willing to wade through the opening rhetoric, but it’s not high up on my “to-do” list.