I’m Republican in that, I will always vote for a Republican. If it was Bush v.s. Greatest Democrat EVAH!, I’d most likely vote for Bush.
Financially and socially very conservative.
I’m Republican in that, I will always vote for a Republican. If it was Bush v.s. Greatest Democrat EVAH!, I’d most likely vote for Bush.
Financially and socially very conservative.
[QUOTE=Jodi]
Right, because at the very top of the government’s agenda is the criminalization of sex toy possession. But please clarify: What does this post have to do with the OP? Perhaps you were looking for a nice, full-bodied “criticize the government” thread; I believe there is a rotating selection in Great Debates and the Pit.
[/QUOTE]
Jodi, I now consider you my best friend as well as my protector. But, I didn’t mind the comment. As I have said before, I opened myself up with this thread. Oh, and I have thick skin.
[QUOTE=Nic2004]
I am a Republican. There, I said it. ![]()
I am Pro-Choice, Pro-gun, Pro-gay marriage, anti-big gov’t micromanaging people’s lives, anti-non-seperation-of-church-&-state, I am against flag burning and against any law to make it a crime. I am for the Gov’t being there as a saftey net for those in need; I am against a welfare state. I HATE a Socialist goverment nearly as much as a Theocratic one. I hate what the media has become and love the free press.
I’ll no doubt think of more after I hit submit.
[/QUOTE]
:dubious:
[QUOTE=FormerMarineGuy]
Jodi, I now consider you my best friend as well as my protector. But, I didn’t mind the comment. As I have said before, I opened myself up with this thread. Oh, and I have thick skin.
[/QUOTE]
Actually, I wasn’t trying to protect you, just reacting to a mild annoyance, as set forth above. But my reaction was prompted more by my knowledge of how these threads always go than by anything DIANA said, so DIANA, if I came across as harshing on you personally, I apologize.
However, FMG, as your protector and new best friend, I would be pleased to accept a new Mercedes. ![]()
[QUOTE=Jodi]
Not seething; sorry if I left that impression. I just find it mildly annoying that on this Board it is literally impossible to post anything about Republicanism – even a simple inquiry as to who is or isn’t – without someone posting something that is critical of the Republican party, George Bush, or the gubmint. In this case, that someone happened to be you.
[/QUOTE]
Understood. I apologize for being snippy in return. But for what it’s worth, I want the government out of my business no matter who’s in power.
[QUOTE=Jodi]
Actually, I wasn’t trying to protect you, just reacting to a mild annoyance, as set forth above. But my reaction was prompted more by my knowledge of how these threads always go than by anything DIANA said, so DIANA, if I came across as harshing on you personally, I apologize.
However, FMG, as your protector and new best friend, I would be pleased to accept a new Mercedes. ![]()
[/QUOTE]
Only the most expensive one for you, my dear.
Yep. I vote Republican, and believe in about 85% of the standard philosophy. However, I’ve learned to keep that very quiet on this board, as I truly despise getting shouted down and flamed. Its much easier to remain quiet on the political issues, and simply vote the way I think is best.
[QUOTE=Nic2004]
I am a Republican. There, I said it. ![]()
I am Pro-Choice, Pro-gun, Pro-gay marriage, anti-big gov’t micromanaging people’s lives, anti-non-seperation-of-church-&-state, I am against flag burning and against any law to make it a crime. I am for the Gov’t being there as a saftey net for those in need; I am against a welfare state. I HATE a Socialist goverment nearly as much as a Theocratic one. I hate what the media has become and love the free press.
I’ll no doubt think of more after I hit submit.
[/QUOTE]
You, I like.
[QUOTE=Jodi]
The lunatic fringe on both ends of the spectrum is also represented.
[/QUOTE]
Over-represented sometimes, I think. ![]()
I used to be a republican. Now I’m not much of anything. I voted for Harry Browne (Libertarian) in 2000 and John Kerry (Dem) in 2004. Before that always Republican (presidentially, at least).
The Republican party has changed so much with the Neo-conservatives gaining control of the party and pushing their social platform to the front of the debate that I can no longer support them.
I used to favor them for:
Besides doing a 180 degree turn from these I also no longer favor them for:
This being IMHO, do I need to remind anyone that these are my opinions and YMMV?
[QUOTE=Victorian Squid]
:dubious:
[/QUOTE]
You eye-ballin’ me, Squid?
I kid. I kid because I love. ![]()
silenus- As a fan of yours I sincerely appreciate your words.
[QUOTE=Nic2004]
You eye-ballin’ me, Squid?
I kid. I kid because I love. ![]()
[/QUOTE]
Ha! No, I was just thinking that I agree with most of what you said, but I consider myself an ardent progressive/liberal. A good 80% of your values would seem to be unreflected by current Republicans.
[QUOTE=Victorian Squid]
Ha! No, I was just thinking that I agree with most of what you said, but I consider myself an ardent progressive/liberal. A good 80% of your values would seem to be unreflected by current Republicans.
[/QUOTE]
I hope that they are more reflective of average Republican thinking and it is made self-evident in the polls.
Hey Mr Rosewater , what are you doing in my brain?
I too used to mostly vote Republican until the Neo-cons took over. I voted for Brown in '00 and Kerry in '04
And as someone said earlier… I too wish the Dems would put up someone worth voting for in '08. For that matter, I wish the Pubs would put up someone worth voting for.
I’m a registered Republican, with very strong libertarian leanings. Fiscally conservative, socially liberal, like a lot of other folks here, I guess.
I just don’t toe the line on either party’s politics. But around here, that doesn’t seem to make me much of an oddball. 
[QUOTE=Nic2004]
I hope that they are more reflective of average Republican thinking and it is made self-evident in the polls.
[/QUOTE]
You and me both. Still, I wouldn’t bet my pocket lint that it will happen. The Republicans got to power somehow, and it sure wasn’t on pro-choice, pro-gay, smaller government issues.
[QUOTE=DianaG]
If you don’t mind my saying so, that’s a little surprising given that this is the first thread I’ve seen from you that isn’t about sex. You realize that if the goverment has it’s way, you may worry less about how to clean your sex toys and more about where to hide them, right?
[/QUOTE]
Repubs are screwing us every day.
I pretty much consider myself a Republican these days. I strongly believe in personal liberty and responsibility, and I believe that this naturally leads to fiscal conservativism and social liberalism. I generally don’t much care what anyone else does, as long as it doesn’t cause harm to others. As part of this philosophy, I believe that not taking responsibility for oneself causes harm to society, so people not only have a personal responsibility to look out for themselves, it is also the best thing they can do for society. Which is not to say that there should not be safety nets, but I think that government involvment in taking care of people has gotten way, way, out of control. By this I mean not just the obvious, such as welfare, but also the general “nanny state” attitude with all of the safety regulations & general over-control of what individuals do in their private lives. These days, the Republicans are ALMOST as much to blame for this situation as the Democrats, but I think the Republicans’ overall philosophy in this regard is closer to my own. I also believe in a strong national defense, and I think most would agree that this is more of a Republican specialty than a Democratic one.
As noelq mentioned, you can pretty much expect this to be the general response to anything you post from some people. And I mean just about everything. Everything.
[QUOTE=duffer]
As noelq mentioned, you can pretty much expect this to be the general response to anything you post from some people. And I mean just about everything. Everything.
[/QUOTE]
Yup.
Nah. We’re here. I just discuss my politics elsewhere. I couldn’t really care less about vice issues, but very conservative on fiscal and economic policy. Probably more conservative there than the President or Rick Santorum.