AM Radio Reception

I’m finding out that some of my favorite talk show hosts (sadly enough Art Bell and Jim Rome) have moved to AM stations that are hard to get in my house.

Besides moving my radio into every spot in the house, are there any easy clever household tips for getting better radio reception?

I ask this fully realizing that getting my favorite shows will also draw stronger signals from interfering stations, but hell it’s worth a try.

Any advice tech geeks?

http://www.geocities.com/capitolhill/parliament/1685/

>Art Bell and Jim Rome
Bwahaha! I just love listening to him belittle his callers.
“Sir, I believe, as far as crackpot ideas go, you’ve really got one going there.”

I beleieve quaterwave AM antenas are 300m or 300ft I cant remember.They are essentialy just a spool of wire. You can get one at radio shack. Hook it to you radio, and start unraveling to put the main loop as high as possible. Like your attic, or temporarily pitch it on the roof. Dont leave it up there though, cause of lightning of course.

His web site is boasting a cybercast of his show. Have you tried that?

Ha glory day. Theres even an archive with dozens of shows!!!

This site might help
http://www.nordicdx.com/antenna/loop/amloop.html

I suggest you get in your car and drive about 500 miles away…

I know I listen to WABC for Yankee games and WFAN for everything else New York-sporting during the evening hours in my car, and it comes in sometimes better than it did in my apartment in Brooklyn - and I live 500 miles away in Raleigh, NC now…

When I was a kid in New York, I used to stay up late and log the stations I could get and where they were from. I was so thrilled whenever I got a station in Canada! I was bummed, however, when I got a Spanish station… A part of me always thought maybe it was from Cuba, but I didn’t speak the language, so I’ll never know!!

Brian O’Neill
CMC International Records
rockuniverse.com/cmc/cmc.html

ICQ 35294890
AIM Scrabble1
Yahoo Messenger Brian_ONeill

Step 1. Get a G.E. Superradio, any model. It has a specially designed a.m. antenna built in and outside connections for an external antenna.
Step 2. If you need more power, get a SelectAntenna from the C.Crane Co. It’s an A.M. antenna that sits next to your radio and performs miracles!

theuglytruth did ask:

Besides moving my radio into every spot in the house, are there any easy clever household tips for getting better radio reception?

Art Bell is on an awful lot of stations, so you should be able to tune up and down the dial and pick the signal which is coming in the strongest. However, you will find that different ones come in better on different nights. Also, remember that the AM antenna is built into the radio, so try turning the radio through a 180 degree arc to get the strongest signal. And try to stay away from operating TVs and computers, which will cause a variety of interfering buzzes and tones.

In addition, Satan saith:

I know I listen to WABC for Yankee games and WFAN for everything else New York-sporting during the evening hours in my car, and it comes in sometimes better than it did in my apartment in Brooklyn - and I live 500 miles away in Raleigh, NC now…

So Satan is a yankee, and has moved with his minions to north Raliegh. No surprise there–just confirms what the locals have believed all along…

When I was a kid in New York, I used to stay up late and log the stations I could get and where they were from. I was so thrilled whenever I got a station in Canada! I was bummed, however, when I got a Spanish station… A part of me always thought maybe it was from Cuba, but I didn’t speak the language, so I’ll never know!!

There are a few spanish speaking stations located in the NYC area–1330 and 1380 come to mind–but I suspect some of the other spanish-speaking stations were indeed located in Cuba, since Castro set up a lot of high-powered signals to drown out any outside influences, which can be heard along the entire east coast.