Question: How come I can’t buy amaretto ice cream? It’d be nice to pop by the store and pick up some Blue Bell’s Amaretto Ice Cream, but I can’t. (I’m truly sorry for anyone who doesn’t know what Blue Bell ice cream is… poor you.) Maybe it’s because they eat all they can and sell the rest! For some reason NOBODY makes it. Yet, I can go to any ice cream parlor (Baskin Robins or Marble Slab for example) and pay 4 bucks for a scoop. Why is that? Sure, I know I can just go buy some amaretto and vanilla ice cream, but still… I shouldn’t have to.
Request: As you can tell, I’m a huge fan of amaretto. I love the flavor. I love it in coffees, pies, cakes, everything. Has anyone ever heard of/seen an amaretto merengue pie? If you have, I consider you a very fortunate person. I myself have never witnessed it. It sounds like the ultimate pie, fit for kings, even! For some reason though, I’ve never seen it in any bakery, and nobody I ask has ever even heard of it. Even searches on google reveal little. If anyone has eaten/made this before, please share! If anyone has a recipe, please share! If anyone is willing send me some, PLEASE SHARE!
Quick question, just popped into my head.
Why did Grandma’s Cookies stop making molasses cookies? They came in a blue packaging, and I used to eat them religiously every road trip I ever took. When I drove from Texas to Washington, not a single gas station or convenience store had the stop along the entire route. What’s the deal? I suppose I could email the frito lay company, but if anyone here already knew the answer this would be a lot quicker.
Tomorrow when I get home from my ride, I’m going to play around in my kitchen with the idea of “Amaretto Merengue Pie.” I’m pretty sure I have all the ingredients I might need already, including a large bottle of amaretto, eggs, sugar cornstarch, etc. I’ll just have to play with the quantities. Hopefully I will have something good to report by tomorrow evening.
Of course if someone has already made it, feel free to share the recipie.
As for the molasses cookies, I don’t haven an answer for you , but I like Archway molesasses cookies a lot.
This isn’t Amaretto Meringue, but it sounds like this is also a recipe that might interest you.
Chocolae Amaretto Mousse Pie
1 12 oz. pkg semi-sweet chocolate pieces
1/4 C butter
1 14 oz cansweetened condensed milk
1/4 t salt
1/4 C water
1/4 C amaretto
2 C heavy cream
Sliced almonds for garnish (optional)
(1) Line a 9-inch pie pan with aluminum foil, making as smooth as possible
(2) In a double boiler, melt 1C chocolate pieces with 2 T butter. Pour into pie pan & quickly smooth over bottom and sides. Freeze until firm, about 30 minutes.
(3) Filling: Combine remaining chocolate and butter with condensed milk and salt. Cook, stirring constantly, over low heat until melted. Stir in water gradually. Cook, stirring constantly, over medium heat, 5 minutes.
(4) Add amaretto, cook, stirring again for 5 minutes or until thickened. Cool to room temperature. To hasten cooling, place pan over ice water and stir occasionally.
(5) beat cream util stiff. Remove 1/2 C for garnish. Stir part of whipped cream into chocolate mixture, fold in remainder.
(6) Remove frozen shell from aluminum foil - peel carefully. Spoon filling into shell; garnish with whipped cream and almonds.
(7) Chill until set - about 3 or 4 hours.