Amazing Race 3/15 - "She's a Little Scared of Stick, But I Think She'll Be OK!"

It’s Race Day in less than half an hour (EDT). And yet again the thread is late out of the airport arrivals hall.

How much garbage will people give Luke for using a Race feature to eliminate a team?

Who will implode (pregnant pause) this week?

I’m guessing some give him a fair amount of garbage. They obviously don’t keep it a secret, because Kris & Amanda told one of my writers, “We actually found out probably over a week later in sequester when we finally found out from another team.” So somebody knows, and the word gets passed to Kris & Amanda in the next elimination or two.

However, what’s interesting is that Phil himself thinks they were right to use it, as noted in the Insider footage when he’s talking to Margie & Luke and tells them they had to use all available tools in the race.

I think it’s tradition at this point to be angry at people for racing.

Oh hey, it’s on!

For some people, yeah. But they’re wrong. :smiley:

Is it? I never watch 'til at least 15 minutes into it – on TiVo so I can skip the commercials.

Hey look! People getting upset that other teams are racing! :slight_smile:

I think they need steroid testing for those Russian ballerinas. That little girl had a deep voice…

Oh and does the season’s theme of drunk foreigners laughing at Americans count if the people laughing and the people drinking are separate groups?

Time to add another line to the TAR rulebook:
Always wear sensible underwear.

Heck, the word “sensible” isn’t strictly necessary.

At any rate, this leg had eye candy for everybody!

If you cannot afford underwear, the court will provide underwear for you.

(Hot damn, she has legs that just keep going on and on…)

I was looking for the drunken laughers as well. They missed an episode!

That was really just…TMI…about the underwear, Jen(? Lakisha?). Really.

Well, it was worth it see Phil in his skivvies.

If she doesn’t want to wear underwear fine, but when it’s like 24 degrees?

The Russian pronunciation by the racers was fairly amusing, too. Even Phil’s.

It actually answered the question I had just asked my boyfriend “what if they aren’t wearing any underwear??” So, I thought it was a convenient comment :slight_smile:

What if they were wearing Ian & Teri’s paper underwear from season 3?

So where did she get underwear- borrow it? I doubt they had spare grundies in the changing tent; I further doubt there was a shopping mall across the street. Did her [gulp] sister loan her her own?

A non-elim leg, right on schedule. I admit to complete lack of surprise at the outcome, and Phil’s getting too predictable with his scary-face/pregnant-pause thing.

Anyway, time for the…

Taxi Assessment

Stuck in the Desert and Officially Detained - or, Philiminated with extreme prejudice.
Jennifer and Preston - Working out their relationship in Sequesterville.
Linda and Steve - Probably secretly glad they’re not Racing any more.
Brad and Victoria - Taking the long way back home, with plenty of layovers.
Amanda and Kris - Probably washing dishes and setting the table in Sequesterville.

Flat Tire - or, not likely to get anywhere soon.
Christie and Jodi (down from “Stopping”) - So it turns out that last week’s first place finish was indeed an aberration. You can argue that bad directions placed Christie & Jodi in last place this week, but they’ve been bringing up the rear for most of the season, so that observation only goes so far. And now Christie & Jodi have to do a Speed Bump; given their track record, that’s bound to be a killer. I think their only hope is if they can pull a rabbit out of the airline reservation hat next week (which is supposedly their strength). Mark this: if Christie & Jodi run out of the airport in a group with all the other teams next week, they’re toast.

Stopping for Gas - or, not broken-down, exactly, but not a good sign.
Mark and Michael (up from “Flat Tire”) - I’m bumping Mark & Mike up a notch this week. It’s not that I think they’ve shown all that much aptitude, but rather they’re just not in as much trouble as Christie & Jodi at this point, and I’d rather keep the truly hopeless differentiated from the merely mostly hopeless. This time last season, I would have remarked on the significance of bleating horns of woe, which sounded when Mark & Mike couldn’t find Phil at the mat despite Phil’s amusing attempts to attract their attention. However, we now know that even the most inept teams can stumble into the final three, so there’s hope for Mark & Mike yet. (Although I expect we’ll see some thematic consistancy from them for the rest of the episodes they’re in.)

"Rapido! Por Favor?" - or, making meaningless ineffectual comments from the back seat, but in no immediate danger.
Cara and Jaime (up from “Flat Tire”) - So Cara & Jaime seem to have found a winning strategy, which is “tag along behind Margie & Luke.” Ceding the thought process to another team isn’t exactly a novel strategy, but it can be spottily effective, as it was this week. Unfortunately for Cara & Jaime, a) Margie & Luke are not going to wait for them all the time, and b) while placing just behind Margie & Luke might actually work well in the early legs, it’s pretty hard to win a million dollars with that strategy. And, as a side note, I’m curious what Jaime thought the “has no shame” part of the Roadblock would be, such that she vehemently rejected doing it. Do cheerleaders perform in business suits nowadays?
LaKisha and Jennifer (holding steady) - Not a great leg for this team, who might even have come in last place if it weren’t for the locals misleading Christie & Jodi. I’m sort of wondering if this team will give Mark & Mike some competition for elimination two weeks from now. A reminder to those of you applying for the next season of TAR: learn how to drive a stick. It’s not that hard, and it’s better to pack that first day’s worth of stops, starts, and stalling into your own time rather than in Novosibirsk.

In the Passing Lane - or, ahead of the pack, but not quite comfortably.
Mel and Mike (up from “Rapido!”) - An unspectacular episode from Mel & Mike, and I should point out that I’m still concerned about Mel’s age and various dodgy body parts. However, despite their unspectacularity, Mel & Mike have never really been in danger of elimination at any time in the season (unlike all the other teams save Margie & Luke), and make decisions quickly and painlessly. On the strength of their overall performance, I’m moving them up and making them my early choice as third in the final three.

Cruisin’ with Earl - or, drivin’ on the shoulder, takin’ shortcuts, and generally kickin’ butt.
Margie and Luke (up from “Passing Lane”) - Margie & Luke haven’t been spectacular this season, but what they have been is consistently well out of last place. It’s time to start talking about the final three, and given the rest of the competition, Margie & Luke look like a pretty good bet to lock up a spot in the final. I should point out, however, that Margie & Luke, given their U-turn last episode, are in no position to complain about other teams (Tammy & Victor) actually Racing instead of waiting idly. The sooner people understand that, the happier I’ll be.
Tammy and Victor (up from “Passing Lane”) - On the other hand, Victor, you’re badly mixing up strategy and tactics. Tactics result in getting a jump on your competition this leg; strategy results in actually winning a million dollars. Long-term strategy trumps short-term tactics. Gaining thirty seconds over Margie & Luke now isn’t worth it if they don’t help (or intentionally mislead) you later when you might need it, particularly when the startling insight that allows you to jackrabbit into the lead is, literally, “go that way.” Still, despite Victor’s stumbling attempts to be clever, I’m moving this team up a notch–discounting their meltdown in leg three, this team would be a shoo-in for final three. I haven’t yet seen another substantial misfire from them, so here they are.

[sub]Props to Mullinator and his Raj Ratings.[/sub]

Thinking back, it seemes that Tammy was wearing the same style/brand of undies they provided for Jennifer.

Do you thing she’s a Commando Lawyer?

Nope. Check out the picture banner at CBS. Tammy = high-cut legs, sky blue with a red-and-yellow belt. Jennifer = briefs, dark and light green striped with dark blue waistband.

Thanks for the opportunity to research, by the way.

I think the problem with Victor was that he apparently joined M&L and J&C in a temporary alliance to find the first cluebox, then just abandoned them when he got the directions. They weren’t damning him to hell for his lax morality, just noting that trusting him is going to be a lot harder from now on.

Anyone else basically unenthralled by this season?

I must admit that so far, other than a few teams that dropped off early on, no others stand out that I would want to either win or be eliminated.