Amazon Free Shipping: Is This Common?

I bought a new camera through Amazon last week and the free shipping was scheduled to get it to me between Feb 1st and Feb 4th. Their first delivery attempt was two days after the order. I got it on the third delivery attempt last Friday, January 28th. I’m pretty glad I didn’t pay extra.

Well, I’ve sent them an email.

To add insult to injury, when I was checking my email just now, there was one from them, and I thought ‘oh, good! Notification that my slow cooker has shipped!’
Nope. It was a marketing piece trying to sell me freakin’ cookbooks to go with the slow cooker! :dubious:

Well, you knew it was a slow cooker when you ordered it.

More seriously, did you order anything else at the same time? If so, it could be that the other item is not in stock and is holding things up.

If one of them is titled To Serve Our Customers, you’d better run.

Since today is day 10, I’d give them a call. Talking to an actual person could get that item expedited or upgraded to a faster delivery.

I didn’t order anything else, no.
I just got a response back from them, and apparently, even though their website has the item listed as “in stock”, it’s not! (Maybe instead of the slow cooker, I should have ordered a stock pot! :wink: ).
The response did say that to try to make up for my troubles, as soon as they get the item back in stock, they will upgrade my shipping to ‘standard’ for no extra fee. Sigh.

Tell them that now you need a pressure cooker instead.

Heh. It’ll get here yesterday. :smiley:

I am an extremely frequent user of Amazon and I haven’t had this experience.

I certainly hope this doesn’t turn you off of Amazon in the future! Usually they are ultra reliable. I’m glad they at least upgraded your shipping. For $25, you get free shipping - aka no gas or hassle going to the store - and no sales tax (for now).

Heh. I was gonna say, maybe Amazon said to themselves, “She’s ordering a slow cooker; she must be a patient person. She won’t mind waiting a while longer.”

When I order from Amazon, I almost always select free Super Saver shipping when possible, and I haven’t had a problem with things not arriving when they were supposed to (if not before).

Amazon’s free shipping is almost always more than fast enough for me.

The main point was made by Erdosain, namely that this has nothing to do with Amazon free shipping versus other shipping methods–norinew’s item had not been shipped at all.

Did you ask to receive it at a post office box? Some items won’t ship to P.O. boxes in any amount of time. When I clicked your link it said,

Hmmm. Interesting. In my order, I indicated both my street address and my PO Box. And in the response email I received from them today, they indicated that the item is simply not in stock.

I’ll have to check on this some more.

OK, I’ve just done two things: one, I changed my ship-to address (turns out my street address was only in the ‘bill-to’ field), and I selected the Amazon Prime 30-day Free Trial offer, which means that, theoretically, my item should be delivered by Feb. 3rd!

If the shipping address was truly the problem, though, don’t you think they should have either notified me via email, or at least mentioned the problem in the response email I received from them? They are not doing anything to endear themselves to me.

Not doubting you or anything, but are you sure that you bought one from Amazon? If Amazon was out of stock at the time you bought it, you may have unknowingly bought it from one of their 3rd party suppliers (the other sellers are listed on the right, a bit lower than the price).

Your invoice will tell you exactly who sold it, if you aren’t sure.

Any word on the cooker, norinew?

Ugh. Well, I went in and edited my shipping info, and then they sent me an email saying I’d made some kind of error in the debit card info I sent them. They actually sent me two emails, one saying that there was an error about the slow cooker, and another saying that there was an error about the free trial of Amazon Prime. So, I re-entered the info. Within an hour, I’d gotten a confirmation on the free trial of Amazon Prime, but the only email I got about the cooker itself was notification that they would notify me when they were ready to ship! Still no word on that.

I really want that cooker, but honestly, if I don’t hear by Friday that it’s shipped, I’ll cancel the order and buy it somewhere else.

:frowning: Jeez, I’m really sorry. Did you see if it was going to ship from a 3rd party or Amazon itself?

Amazon itself.
I just got an email from them saying that my payment was not authorized. I just don’t understand that. I deposited almost $1,000.00 in my bank account just yesterday. So there certainly should be plenty of money in there. I guess I’ll have to call my bank in the morning and find out what the deal is.

FYI, if you have access to a .edu email address, you can get Amazon Prime free for a year.

I just signed up for it a few weeks ago, sent an order in, and it worked nicely.

Link
mmm

Well, that’s good information for someone to have, I guess. I don’t have access to that kind of address (AFAIK), but it doesn’t matter, because I’ve pretty much given up on Amazon. I can get the cooker off of eBay for about $3.00 more, so I’m going that route.

While I was out running errands tonight, I even stopped by my bank to double check my balance, to make sure it wasn’t a problem with my bank account. Nope. My checking account has plenty of money in it. I’ve screwed around with Amazon long enough.