American Horror Story --- WTF???

the creepy burned guy standing in the yard, glimpsed between the sheets hanging on the clothesline - Michael Myers, Halloween.

Ya know, I’m wondering if burned guy was actually sporting latex and knocking boots with Mom.
Ooooh… or was it Tate the creepy patient?

I know women in their forties, that look older than Jessica Lange. I think she looks great.

The characters were not likeable enough for me to care what happens to them. I’ll give it another try though.

I think the cliche’s were intentional, as an homage to the genre.

I didn’t like it. I’m going to watch next week to give it another chance, but so far there are no redeeming characters and all the story elements feel old and contrived.

It’s weird, I feel like all the elements have been done before and better, even though there are some I couldn’t think of. I’m hoping it gets better, but I don’t think it’s a good sign when you could care less whether anyone in the family lives or dies.

I think it would be better if everyone saw the hot maid and he saw the mother from 6 feet under and STILL went after her…:smiley:

The writing in regards to that was bad though. I mean he’s cheated on his wife with a 21 year old, yet he doesn’t think about questioning his wife’s choice in maids?

It wasn’t actually awful… just not scary. And it’s not because it was weird, but because it was too formulaic and predictable. The scares were mostly people screaming loudly or disfigured monsters attacking random characters, there was no attempt at subtlety.

Let me give an example: the other day I watched another hackneyed stereotypical haunted house movie, “Insidious”. It was pretty similar, except some scenes were less in-your-face, like when Rose Byrne half-sees what looks like a man-shaped figure dancing jerkily in the shadows of his new home through a window.

Also, the dog is the first victim. Calling it.

Right now I am rooting for the evil clown/child thing over the family.

I assumed (and I could be totally wrong) it was burned guy, then the house vacant for a while which is when the twins show up, then the gay guys buy the vacant house and fix it up, though maybe someone else was between the twins and the gay guys.

The first episode creeped me out more and I was scared to go to bed. I watch countless horror movies and I think this has a great plot to it. Something different for sure!

Kinda reminds me of when American Gothic was on. Loved that too.

Last night’s episode had a bit that reminded me of the movie The Strangers. 1 person knocks at the door for help and the others sneak in and take their cell phones. Then they tie them up and have the intention to murder.

I wonder how many scenes from other horror flicks they will copy to a degree? Doesn’t matter, I love the show!

p.s. I wouldn’t mind seeing Dylan McDermott’s butt again :wink:

I loved it last week, and this week as well. The first episode to any series is gonna have a lot of open ended questions; it needs to give you a glimpse on every character, but leave lots of room for unexpected occurrences.
I love it; possibly new favorite show…
At least till Walking Dead premieres sunday night!!! =]

I said I liked it last week, but this is really too much.

How many deaths have happened in this house, and nobody has condemned the place?

There are just too many deaths to keep track of, too - the first week introduced the teenaged twin vandals, and the gay guys, and the burned guy. Each of those is a proverbial ‘gun hanging over the mantle’ that we deserve to see how they play out in the new family’s story.

So last night they just introduce a new murdered pair? And the real estate agent told them about the gay guys’ murder/suicide as a matter of disclosure, but not the news-making double murder that’s on the ‘murder tour?’ WTFF?

It’s just a suburban sprawl of a horror plot. Everything is just going to keep expanding and the old stuff left hanging.

The **only **reason I’m watching next week is for hot maid - and there better be some!

If my count is right we are up to at least 9 deaths in the house:
1-2. Gay couple
3-4. twins
5-7. burned guys family (wife +2 daughters)
8-9. X-tian girls

I’m skeptical as to how this can have a long run and still make sense. How many hauntings, murders and bad things can a family experience before they would reasonably move to a new location?

The attack alone was enough reason to leave town, but Constance, the maid, and Tate, (revealed to be Constance’s son last night) hid the two bodies, and the sick girl escaped, though badly injured. So Vivian, Ben, and Violet are unaware that anyone died in the house last night.

The punishment closet o’mirrors for the young lady who is painfully aware she doesn’t look like women in magazines made me feel ill. That seemed to take cruelty a little too far, but other than that, still loving Lange’s campy character.

Did Constance poison the cupcakes to get back at Mom for roughly handling her own daughter? Or is she just prone to general mayhem?

How long are they going to invent ways for husband and wife to not figure out that he’s seeing a younger version of the maid? It’s turning into a Three’s Company episode.

I’m also not liking one bit that they’re using Bernard Herrmann. Vertigo last week, and a little Psycho this week? C’Mon now.

I am guessing that the family is going try to move out, but they won’t be allowed to. Like how Constance didn’t want anyone but the daughter to eat those cupcakes… there must be an order for when they want them to die?

Just think how gross it will be when the wife catches her husband getting it on with the maid (of course, she sees her as old) Funny as hell.

I thought for sure the dog was going to eat the cupcake. That dog is living on borrowed time, I’m going to worry about him every week more than the humans. (If it was a cat, the poor beast would have been no more in the first 15 minutues.)

If there are several murders in a house, CAN a house be condemned? By who? This particular house o’ death just keeps changing hands, even though the real estate agent has disclosed the (latest) murder(s).

I kind of assumed, without looking into it, that it’s meant to be a 4-episode fixed-length story.

I don’t mean literally condemned - I mean the owners would decide to rip it down and build a new structure. They did that here when there was a terrible double-murder.

I love this show - I am assuming the horror movie cliches are deliberate (I mean, come on, it’s called “American Horror Story” - how generic could the title be?). And now they throw in murdered student nurses (which may or may not be actual student nurses, may be just a student dressed up like a nurse, but the wink is there).

I’m looking forward to seeing how many stories are pulled in from real life and horror movie lore. And I’m with you, salinqmind. I took one look at that dog and said “you’re going to end up on a nail on the front door, you poor little thing.”

But I’m loving it. Young maid is hot. Old maid is fabulous. And I love love love Jessica Lange - “Don’t make me kill you. Again.” Awesome.