American Idol 2 - The Finale. 205 or Broadway? [Spoilers after show airs EDT]

Sorry, it’s my duty to yell:

GO RUBEN!! 205! 205! :smiley:

They both will win, either way, though. And they’re both great.

Well they both saved their best for last. Ruben FINALLY lookedl ike he was having a good time. Clay was also fantastic. Based on their final songs it will be a tough call. Either way I am happy.

Not a bad show, but there should have been more of a BANG effect with the whole production…

Oh, one more thing. I was almost positive Clay would sing something during the competition from Rick Astley. I am sort of happy and sort of disappointed that he didn’t.

I only saw the first round and then had to go pick up my wife and daughter and bring them home. Can somebody summarize the last two performance by each contestant? What did they sing? How did they do? What did the judges say?

FTR, I thought Randy was right when he said that Clay “sang his face off” on that first song.

Damn, is anyone else having trouble getting through?

The line’s been busy since the show ended. (Clay’s line anyway;) )

Can somebody post the phone numbers?

No luck on Clay’s line here, either. Haven’t tried Ruben’s. :wink:

I can do better than just tell you.

Go to: http://www.idolonline.org/

and listen to the performances

No matter who wins, they’re both going to have great careers after this, but I’m a little concerened about Ruebens health. Whenever he has to do more than one song, it’s excruciating to watch.
Reuben has been my favorite all along, and I thought Clay was kind of creepy, (it’s the eyes!) But, I think Clay is a better entertainer.

1-866-436-5701 Ruben
1-866-436-5702 Clay

BTW, the performances on idolonline.org are at the bottom right hand corner of the page.

I’ve been calling non stop for Ruben. No such luck at all! I think they both deserve this! Good luck to the both of them!

Jenny*

I’ve been calling non-stop for Clay and I haven’t much luck either.

I agreed with Simon that Clay wasn’t at his best. . . but he still outsang Ruben, who was definitely “pitchy” tonight. (too bad neither Randy nor Paula pointed that out!)

The “original” songs were both interminable.

Paul Anka at the end was like the fly landing on the birthday cake. Totally inappropriate.

“Bridge Over Troubled Water” with a gospel backup group??? How bizarre! Clay should get extra credit for that one.

I voted frequently, during the 24 commercials. With few exceptions, I had no trouble getting through. Bring on the results!!!

I didn’t like Clay’s rendition of “Bridge over Troubled Water.” I thought they were a dead heat to that point, but that one just inched Ruben a little ahead. It was a very poor performance, IMHO; if you get past his excellent “belt,” he just didn’t deliver the song right. He sort of fell back on some of his irritating old habits. It sounded and looked just 1% too silly for me.

I give it to Ruben by a nose. But I suspect Clay will win the vote.

Either way, the right two people were in the final. They put on a fine show, took some risks, and performed well. Sure beats the last AI final.

Personally, I didn’t like Clay’s second song ‘Here, There, Everywhere’. It sounded horrible to me. On that basis, I give my vote to Ruben.

Shayna, what you are not seeing is they pumped Clay up too, it just isn’t written in that article. Remember the group of 32? Clay was seriously pumped up, and Simon has ALWAYS bumped Kim Locke down. Kim Locke beat down Clay in the round of 32, but Simon seriously dissed her (remember the whole ‘You have zero personality’ tirade?). So, don’t say that they’ve only been raising one guy up. They planned a Clay-Ruben final, and that’s been clear.

I just listened to the audio (thanks for the link, Grace) and i have to say, when you just listen to the audio without any visuals, Clay is miles ahead of Ruben on technique and control. Ruben isn’t even in Clay’s ballpark when it comes to pure ability. (Rickjay, I suggest you go to Idolonfox and listen to the audios of Clay’s “Bridge” and then Ruben on “Flying Without Wings.” I think you’ll notice that Ruben is all over the place, while Clay is perfectly controlled and nuanced (it really does help a lot when you can’t see his facial expressions). Ruben has a tendency to miss the note flat and then run his way back up to correct it. If you listen to “Flying” he does it like ten times.

In the early weeks, i thought Ruben wa the man, but now I think that Clay deserves to win. He’s just a flat better singer, He’s a freaking virtuoso, regardless of his mannerisms.

What did the judges say about the last two performances (Clay on “Bridge” and Ruben on “Flying”)?

Just from the audio, I thought Clay blew Ruben out of the water.

annieclaus you said that you had no trouble getting through?? Just curious, who did u vote for?? :slight_smile:

Ruben and Paula both got out of their chairs and clapped for BOTH Ruben and Clay. Simon said they were both excellent. He said Ruben saved his best for last and for Clay, that could be the song that wins the competition for him.

Listening online, I still liked both of their performances. Different feels for sure. I think Clay might win this thing, but it will be close. Maybe a 51.25% - 48.75% in his favour.