American Idol, 3/1-3/3

I think Robby is very cute. I’ve always liked a nose with character.

I’m a bit behind, timeshifting. Clint = terrible. Not sure what they’re hearing with doucheglasses, but it wasn’t what was playing in my bedroom.

Jovany was really good vocally, but no stage presence whatsoever. I’m not exactly sure what he could have done with that to be a bit more dynamic, but he was lacking personality.

Jordan, on the other hand, has the stage presence but not the vocals. This was a VFTW-worthy performance.

Tim is, other than Jordan, the best-looking male in the competition. He’s not very good, but his looks will keep him going. He got better as the song went on, but the beginning was rough. Might be nerves.

Brett should NEVER try to look sexy. NEVER. And “Light My Fire” is not soft rock. This is vocally not bad but artistically terrible. Hate the arrangement.

James brought it. He’s infinitely better than anyone who came before him. Not sure why he has a tail, though. Is that a scarf coming out of his ass? Who thought that was a good idea? Oh, apparently he did. Well, that’s dumb.

Robbie has a beautiful voice. He’s the best of the teenagers by far. Not his best performance, but he’s really, really good. Not his best is better than most.

Nuts of Wonder is smiling too much for this song. Can’t say anything bad about the voice. He is what he is. Can’t wait until he lasts to Disco Week.

Stefano is the cuter of the two Latin lovers. I think Jovany is the better singer, but Stefano is more likely to advance. He’s not terrible, and he’s much more engaging on stage.

Paul is way fun. I’m not sure what to think of his voice. It has a ton of character (funny, all the judges used that term after I did) but isn’t very strong. In a competition full of glory note shrieks, he’s a gentle breath of fresh air. He also has very white teeth. And J-Lo brought THAT up. I feel like I’m in an echo chamber.

Jacob is one of my favorites, so I’m looking forward to his performance. He looks great, sounds fine, but I’m not a huge fan of the song. Last three words of the song were incredible, the rest of it was meh. But I really do like him. He is incredibly genuine. His reaction after J-Lo’s comparing him to Luther Vandross was adorable. In a way he’s like a more talented and more pigmented Taylor Hicks. I’m not sure if it will go well with voters.

Casey, along with Jacob and Paul, is a favorite of mine in the guy’s group. I was so worried when I heard that he spent a few days in the hospital last week. He had a blood transfusion the morning this was taped. It was touch and go as to whether he’d drop out of the competition. Unlike Brett, Casey actually CAN play sexy convincingly, even though he doesn’t necessarily look the part. And he’s damned good at what he does. He’s a raw singer, but he chews up the stage and knows exactly who he is.

Vote For the Worst picked Brett.

Have any themes been announced? and Mentors? I remember Harry Connick, Jr doing a excellent job last year. I hope they bring him back.

What’s with all the Brett hate? Is it because of the way he looks? It can’t be his singing because he was far from the worst. OTOH, Clint creeps me out with the way he looks and the way he “preforms.” His singing is okay sometimes, but he looks like a little monkey prancing around on stage.

Paul seems like he’s playing a character.

Paul, Casey and Jacob rocked. My boyfriend liked James, but I hated that song so much I couldn’t judge.

Overall impression is that, as a group, they are way better than the boys from last year or the year before. They are also a lot more diverse.

Could it be that getting rid of Simon allowed the show to go with the best singers rather than going for the pop look?

Doucheglasses sucked - I can’t imagine paying money to listen to that while looking at that.

Jordan - that is one of the worst songs in R & B, and he chooses it for his AI live debut?!? Serious WTF.

I don’t like Jordan, so I was extra amused by how he agreed with the judges about the song he chose. “no, it’s not me at all” Uh, then why did you chose it???

Ok, I will admit it. I registered to vote online. Turns out you can vote 50 times. Seriously–50 times???I am not quite that crazy yet.

OMG - I just realized who Brett was looking like (and possibly who he should be singing) - Melissa Etheridge! That was a full-on trainwreck. But I want his hair so badly.

I’m completely sick of listening to Scott “Alfred E. Neuman” McCreery and his fucking country music already, two lines into his song - please, Americans, I’m begging you - vote this shitkicker off already. I know he’ll be around till the bitter end because I hate country and young assholes singing it like they think they know something about life, but hope springs eternal.

It seems like every year, there’s one contestant who I -can’t stand- while everyone else thinks he or she is awesome. This year it’s James Durbin. I’ll admit if I closed my eyes he actually sounded fine, but there’s just something about him that comes across as unbearably phony and obnoxious.

Yes!! I had that ephiphany after I was done posting last night. That’s exactly who he looks like! And his horrible soulless eyes are about 1 centimeter deep. But I do hope he hangs in there until he’s forced to sing a different genre, just for the laffs.

James (scarf-tail) has an extremely annoying personality, but he really understands how to pick a song and “who he is as an artist”. As the competition gets more stressful, I’m wondering when the Tourette’s will surface…

It sure as shit can be his singing – he’s unbefuckinglievably awful.

They gave him the full background treatment before his first audition, and when he was two lines into his singing I turned to my wife and said “Whoop, looks like this is another one of these where they give the full buildup before they reveal it’s someone who gets to see the judges just because they’re exceptionally bad”. It was one of the low points in the show’s history when the judges actually liked the crap this guy was warbling.

And his over-annunciation of the last syllable of every line makes me want to light him on fire.

“You know that I would be a lie-UR
If I were to say to you
Girl we couldn’t get much high-UR
Come on baby light my fie-UR

Gaaaa!

I expect he’ll make it into the Top 12, which will make him the worst ever to make it that far. And I remember Scotty Savol.

I want to keep Brett a little while, if only for his pretty pretty hair. Also, he treated Jaycee quite decently after Nuts of Wonder and Doucheglasses dumped on him.

But do you remember Sanjaya?

…making Brett Lowenstern the second worst ever in the Top 12!

Too bad Simon’s not still there:

“asshole, mother fucker limey, …”

Dial Idol results are in:

According to DI, Scotty is safe, everyone else is at risk. Doucheglasses is trailing everyone.