American Idol 3/16-18

Big Mike’s shirt is about three sizes too small. The sleeves are cutting into his arms.

When this song started off, I thought “Damn, this is excellent,” but it got really boring. His vocals were good, but overall he didn’t really do as much with it as he could have.

Didi was totally boring too. Technically she was pretty good, but it was too slow and a bit too angry–she was making bitchfaces the whole time.

Where is everyone?

I think folks aren’t going to remember Didi’s performance by the end of the show, and that’s going to hurt her votes. Not that she did horrible, but she was on early, and I think bigger performances on faster, more upbeat songs will make folks forget her.

Casey- It’s All Over Now

Casey rockin’ the slide guitar, sort of. A fun, stripped-down version. It didn’t show off his voice to it’s best effect, but it was fun. Was the mix off?

Pick up the amp? I’m assuming Kara was referring to the mic stand.

Casey could have picked a better song. This was that simple stuff that Dio generally accuses Crystal of doing.

I am here but prefer to wait til the show is over so there will be more comments to read. (waves)

Dead Flowers would be awesome.

I wish Lacey’s “pasture” parents could have prayed to Jesus that she’d hit a fucking note.

Didi ruined the hook on “Playing With Fire.”

Casey was ok, but kind of bar band.
Lacey sucked all the life out of “Ruby Tuesday.”

Missed half of Big Mike. Kinda liked what I saw. Nobody else has held my attention long enough for me to stop herding the cats, watering the seedlings, surfing and. . . oooh shiny!

At least Garcia can’t do a girl song this week. Looks like “Gimme Shelter.” If he pussifies it with his usual acoustic schtick, he’ll be making a mistake.

Big Mike…Liked it. Liked it pretty well. I was in the shower and just heard it, couldn’t judge his stage presence.
Didi… did well. Not spectacular.
Casey…I’ve liked him but that didn’t really do it for me. I’ve heard that song done so many times by many different bands and heard it done better, for sure.
Lacey had a good performance as Lacey performances go.
Looking forward to Siobhan doing one of my favorite Stones songs.

Andrew can go home RIGHT THE FUCK NOW. This is a goddamn travesty. My husband just said “This is like watching old people fuck.”

Andrew…getting a little grit and energy going. Diggin in a little as he’s finishing. Thumbs up.

A theme like the Stones really highlights how much the house band blows ass. That was a weak, castrated, disco sap arrangement. Does he have any idea what that song is about?

That’s exactly what I said.

He still sucked. He’s getting worse every week. Ellen is high.

So far this entire show is a bunch of fail. Casey was probably the best, but even that was just bar band fare. I think Dio’s right that a lot of that is because the band is milquetoast. Stones are also hard to pull off.

I’ve been whining about that band for years. It baffles me how the top-rated show on TV continues to air with such a third-rate collection of musicians. Any of the house bands on any of the late-night talk shows would be preferable to this bunch, and they have a tiny fraction of the budget.

I can only assume that some producer thinks that America wants watered-down, soulless pablum from the backing band, and put one together which would deliver exactly that. It may not be the musicians’ fault - it may be that they are forced to play garbage arrangements and are conducted poorly by someone who learned at the knee of Lawrence Welk or something.

You’re right, the judges are all drinking Paula’s leftovers in those cups tonight.

Why is Katie wearing a tutu?

These people are all nutless wonders who aren’t worthy of drinking Keith Richards’ bongwater.