American Movie Classics (1983–2002)

I had TCM several years ago and the best thing about it was that it showed silent movies, though not many. The only things I bother watching on AMC are the “Our Gang” shorts (though they only show the talkies and ignore the silents) and the “3 Stooge”. Most everything else has been seen hundreds of times on a variety of channels. I am close to the point of just getting rid of cable because there is increasingly nothing worth watching.

This is just the last nail in the coffin. I stopped watching AMC when they added commercial interruptions to the movies.

It’s sad, there are so few areas for seeing old movies (and the question of whether the movie is a “classic” or not hasn’t bothered me, I’m happy to see old movies that are long-forgotten for good reason.)

To be fair, did not AMC lose a lot of its programming to the Fox Movie Channel too? Sure Ted Turner’s a bastid, but Rupert Murdoch’s also a bastid and Murdoch doesn’t even give money to the UN.

Anyways, I quit watching movies on AMC the minute I saw that they were breaking into films with commercials AND they were editing for content. I don’t waych edited movies and I don’t appreciate censors deciding that I need to be “protected” from Charlie Brewster saying “shit” in Fright Night. I do hope my cable company will pick up this “sister channel” but I also hope that AMC will focus on mre original programming, something they do on occasion do well (if a bit fluffily in the case of their “documentaries”).

I loved AMC when I could first get it - count me as one woman who prefers Nick Clooney to that kid of his - but they really went downhill. I suspect they were really at the mercy of Turner et al., who snapped up the best stuff in the catalogue. Now, I love TCM, but I think AMC had that fun, family “we love these movies and want to share them with you” feeling.

TCM has an exciting schedule every month, and a good website and magazine.

I don’t get TMC, so this really bums me out. If I wanted to see modern movies, I’d watch a superstation or HBO. Why can’t they be happy with their niche?

Lurk, you can kiss the wonderful “AMC Film Preservation” festival good-bye.

Just for the hell of it, I tried to log onto AMC’s web site to lodge a useless complaint: THEIR SITE IS GONE, with a “for sale” sign on it! Gosh, I’ll miss those '40s musicals they used to show, with Betty Grable anmd Carmen Miranda and Alice Faye and John (sigh!) Payne . . .

I wonder why is it that TCM has such sucky distribution? Almost no one I know can get it, so I end up taping millions of movies for friends around the country.

I believe I even saw Sheena, Queen of the Jungle a month or so ago on AMC. I had to check the station twice to see if it was really happening.

I believe I even saw Sheena, Queen of the Junglea month or so ago on AMC. I had to check the station twice to see if it was really happening.

Are you sure? I just logged on to theirpage, and it came up.

Oop—I logged onto something called “Americanmovieclassics.com,” which was outta business.

I believe I even saw Sheena, Queen of the Junglea month or so ago on AMC. I had to check the station twice to see if it was really happening.

:confused:
TCM already shows “modern classics” on the weekends, some of which are barely 10 years old. I fail to see how doing essentially the same thing as TCM will remove AMC from direct competition.

AMC shows stuff like Sheena as part of its “American POP” programming, which focuses on showing the fun, kitchy movies that, while they may not fit the classicist’s definition of “classics” are still noteworthy in their own fashion. They show a lot of fun 50’s sci-fi and camp-fests like “Valley of the Dolls” too (or they used to anyway).

I love marketing double-talk–“Reaction has been positive.” Yeah, we’re positive we hate it! I woke up this morning, turned on the telly, and they were showing “Mars Needs Women”! Is this part of their “new film mix”?