Amusing workplace story

My sister manages a flower shop in a tony suburb. Most of her staff are Mexican-American, and aren’t terribly highly paid. Shop is owned by an older caucasian woman, whose adult daughter does some work.

Their driver is a practical joker. A couple of days ago he had a pretty convincing-looking fake $50 bill. He kept placing it around the store, where other workers would find it. Every single other employee, including my sister, instantly said, “who lost this” and made some attempts to find the owner. And then joined in as the joke was played on other workers.

Towards the end of the day, the only person left was the owner’s daughter. Everyone else watched as she walked by, noticed it, then returned when she thought no one was looking AND POCKETED IT WITHOUT A WORD. She left work shortly thereafter, so the joker had to tell the owner to call her daughter, and tell her not to try to spend the $50.

The next morning, the daughter came into work, tearing the joker and everyone else a new asshole in front of everyone. Eventually, the joker said, “Yes, I played the joke. But I played it on every single person here, and you are the only one who pocketed it.” After which the daughter became much more quiet.

Apparently there is considerable residual ill-will among the workers towards the daughter, not only for pocketing the money, but for publicly dressing down the driver.

Thought it interesting and potentially worth comment.

Quite aside from what the daughter did, I think it’s a bad idea to play games with “pretty convincing-looking fake fifty dollar bills”. I don’t think the Secret Service has much of a sense of humor.

I wouldn’t have called the owner.

Yeah, I think it kinda stops being funny when it reaches the point where if she wasn’t warned in time, she might have been arrested for a felony.

It’s certainly interesting … but not amusing. :eek:

She’s already a thief.

Come to think of it, I might have called the owner and suggest she audit the store’s books.

I find interesting things amusing! :smiley:

I didn’t see the bill. My sister said it looked convincing at first, but when you looked at it, there were obvious things wrong with it.

What’s the law regarding using a counterfeit note unknowingly? I’ve heard that a staggering number of ones are counterfeit, I’ve always wondered what would happen if I was caught with one and the authorities wanted to throw the book at moi.

Like having Ulysses F. Grant on it…

Y’know, if your story is interesting but not necessarily “amusing”, don’t put the word right there in the thread title. Let the reader(s) feel what they will: I found it suspenseful, a little sad, and definitely interesting.

(I’ve learned the hard way not to start any stories with “Oh, you’ll love this!” or even “I’ve got a good story”…)

I was in banking a long time and never saw or heard of counterfeit $1 bills. It would cost the criminal more in paper, ink and time required to print the bills than they are worth. And even if they decided to do so, passing huge amounts of fake one dollar bills would be difficult, at best.

ETA: Taking a $1, cutting off the corners and replacing them with the corners from a higher denomination bill happens often, but are very easy to catch.

Under federal law, the use or attempted use of counterfeit currency is illegal if the person has the intent to defraud the recipient.

State laws vary, but generally are similar to the federal laws.

In either case, “criminal intent” is the key element; it must be proven you were knowingly in possession of counterfeit currency and intended to use it to defraud someone.

According to this graphic, less than 0.1% of all counterfeit US bills are singles (as of 2002), for a lot of very practical reasons, not the least of which being it costs significantly more than a buck to produce a quality counterfeit bill. Historically the value of $1 bills to a counterfeiter is simply that the paper is already correct, so they bleach them and print a higher denomination onto it (now countered by other security features not contained in the $1 bill, e.g. the UV thread, watermark, etc.).

Yes, but being asked to hang around and converse with the proper authorities until they are satisfied that you had no criminal intent would not be an optimal way to pass your time.

Wow! I guess I don’t spend enough time here in MPSIMS to realize how seriously you parse your thread titles. :smiley:

I found the story quite amusing - among many other adjectives I could append. Guess I should have simply said “Workplace story.”

I’ve long had a standard reaction, when someone starts an anecdote saying, This is interesting…" I’m liable to say, "Tell it to me, and I’ll determine whether I find it interesting.

My kids early on learned to say, “Something I find interesting…” :wink: God, I must have been a pain as a father.