Amy Winehouse is dead

She was so good. One of those artists that made me buy into the idea that maybe drugs, pain and tortuous self loathing really are necessary for certain kinds of art. Of all the ‘blue eyed blues’ types singers, including Adele, who is good at what her genre is…Winehouse was the one that I didn’t think fit that label. She was blues for real.

Now, to pull out the Winehouse/Ghostface joint and remember ol’ girl’s talent.

I was hoping the same thing. She even started a tour a few months back but only made it, what, halfway through the first show and then stumbled off stage and canceled the rest of the shows. I always wanted to see her. She seemed to channel the early (female) crooners from the 40’s and 50’s.

If you can stand watching it, this is a video of her last, disastrous concert, where she doesn’t seem to know where she is. The person who posted it hoped that it may help her get better. Didn’t work.

I’m crying here. And I thought I was a casual fan.

I can honestly say I had never heard her sing until the linl posted above, all I had seen was the trainwreck she had become. HUGE waste of talent. Very sad to see how a person can just destroy themself.

Word.

Billie Holiday, Janis Joplin, Amy Winehouse: all burned out like shooting stars in our night sky and leave us with bitterweet memories, wishes that things had been different.

I would not be surprised if what happened is that she had gone clean for a while, but then relapsed and took her usual dose of heroin but because she had been clean for a while it was too strong for her and she OD’d.
I agree with those who say it is a waste of a lot of talent.

Geez, I suspect they’ve added Amy since you linked to that. Have you taken a look at what they list as her “Cause of death”? :eek: Down toward the bottom of the page.

The “Cause of Death” is listed as unknown currently. Have they changed it?

I think the official Cause of Death is “She was Amy Winehouse”.

A few minutes ago it said “presumed drug overdose”
ETA now it says “Unknown” (I’m just putting this here because I see what Sampiro wrote…obviously it doesn’t say that anymore).

Yes, now it says “Unknown.” I don’t think I’m going to say what someone originally wrote in that space. :frowning:

As others have said, not at all unexpected, but sad nonetheless.

I know way more about her drug use and trainwreck lifestyle than her music, but my sister’s a fan. She was pretty broken up about it.

Note to self–add L.L. to 2013 Death Pool.

“If someone besides a black ever sings the real gut bucket blues, it’ll be a Jew.”

• Ray Charles.

I don’t want to laugh at that, but I can’t help myself.

That’s pretty fucked up. People die of overdoses all the time; what happened in Oslo was much more important.

ETA: Also apparently I’m one of the few who had no idea who she was.

I still maintain that Amy Winehouse went into hiding and re-emerged as Lady Gaga a month later. Anyone ever seen the two together?!

When she first became popular, I remember thinking she was really talented but wouldn’t be able to keep that raw energy alive for long. I just assumed she would lose her voice.
Then the reports of her off-stage life started to make news and things didn’t look good. You sometimes wonder where real friends are during times like this - someone from the past who might have been able to reach out, but who knows what lurks in the mind of a drug addict.
It is really a shame - she was very talented, had a great voice and seemed to pull her emotions from her gut. Very sad.

She was the first new artist **Tripler **and I heard and fell for at the same time. It’s such a crazy waste of enormous talent.

I may have even mentioned on SDMB that she was on the fast track to the 27 club. It’s sad to see artists consume themselves this way. It’s a tough way to earn a living even if successful. It’s not a profession for people with the least bit of personal/mental problems.