An over-inflated sense of self-importance.

Ahh, the “I have a life” law in action. Seems to pop up as often as Godwins law. Perhaps we should label it.

“Sorry, I didn’t post because I have a life! Yes thats right, I had to go throw some Jews and Homosexuals in the gas chamber, sweep the bodies into the mass grave, and then make some really neat speech, sorry”
This implies no insult, just a bit of humor combining the two noted laws

Hama - really now, I’m a bit lost here. What exactly is the problem you have with AR and hardygrrl? Since you’ve started the OP, the only evidence you’ve shown for their behavior is the posts mentioned in the OP, both of which can easily be construed as meant to be humorous.

If you’re basing your opinion of these two based on those two posts, then shut up and quit being so judgmental. Not one of your posts following the OP has offered up any examples that they engage in the sort of activity you accuse them of on a regular basis. If there’s more evidence, I’d like to see it. If not, quit being so bitchy and taking someone to the Pit because you seem to think they’re engaging in too much ego-feeding.

Which is precisely why I phrased it, “living my life,” rather than “having a life.” I wasn’t implying that I have a life (and thereby implying somehow that other don’t), you goon, I was saying, “I didn’t reply all day because I was in a place other than where my computer is, doing other stuff.”

:rolleyes: again with the hardygrrl:

And if you bothered to read my posts as carefully as you insist that I should read yours, you would note that this has been more than adequately explained.

Boy, that whole pot/kettle thing, though…what a zinger.

Ok, that does it.

If I see one more mindless variant of pot, kettle, and black, somebody is going to pay with blood.

Sweet, delicious blood…

You’ll note that I very explicitly said that I wasn’t saying all you talk about is sex. Just that it feels that way. You’re right, you talk about other things. I just did a quick look see and it seems your sex talk runs only about 33% of the threads in which you participate.

When somebody’s reply to “what’s your fantasy” is “to do half the stuff Arden Ranger has and not die in the process” then you have to admit that people are noticing a prominent element of your personality.

I’m not saying it is a bad thing to be redundantly, boringly, embarrasingly sexual in public places. I am just saying that Hamadryad is right in that you are very fond of letting us know how sexual you are. Unfortunately, Hamadryad is much the same so her attack comes off looking pretty stupid.

Anyway, sorry for intruding into the catfight. When I see a crowd resorting the rhetorical style of seventh graders I can’t help but join in. It is so fun to reexperience my childhood.

If you people are going to have all out, grind down rumble of personality flame wars, try to do it with style and skill. Arden, hardygrrl, your replies make you sound like you’re stuck in high school. Hamadryad, your riposte was nearly incomprehensible and resembled the barkings of a sun-stroked prarie dog.

TAKE SOME PRIDE IN YOUR WORK!
Oh, and Silo? I can’t remember that because I never did it. Flirting with real people has always been my preference.

The best thing about Hammy is her balck-and often self depreciating-sense of humor. Others seem to be getting offeneded here, while as I see it, Hammy is having fun and making no apologies for herself. It’s kinda a nice change from the DRAHMA that so many posters revel in.

Geez Hama…

Were you born this condescending OR did you mold yourself this way?
Jesus H Christ,like Crunchy said…

One line from a post PROVES that I’m an egomanic.

I’ll state it again. You don’t know me. The Dopers that do can testify that I’m nothing like you say. It’s a fucking message board,not a way of life.

You dare to judge me based on posts and things I’ve stated here in my self defense? Again…you have no idea of what I’m like.So, to quote Chris Jericho…
Would you please SHUT THE HELL UP!
Deep breaths Hama…in with the good air and out with the bad.

And BTW…there are a few Dopers who rub me the wrong way but I just let it slide. Since you felt the need to unburden yourself and attack me, I’m responding.

Maybe not to you, but I’m sure there are plenty of people on this board who think they are. I mean really, how many of us is interesting to everyone on the boards, or even to the majority? I’d say damn few of us. I’m sure there are plenty of people that would be more than happy if I never posted again, or you never posted again, or if Arden never… and the reverse is true. There are also people that would miss each of us if we didn’t post again.

If you don’t think a particular poster is interesting or what they post bugs you, why don’t you just skip over the posts and not read them? What purpose is served in attempting to rake them over the coals in the Pit? I just don’t get that. I mean there are plenty of posters that I could do without (and no, that’s not a pointed barb directed to the OP or anyone else in the thread) … and I do that exactly: do without them. I don’t open threads that they start, and for the most part don’t read any replies they’ve made to threads I am reading.

For the record, I generally enjoy your posts, Hama, but, and this isn’t directed only at you, I don’t understand the reasonings behind pit threads directed at posters who, for one reason or another, piss you off. Isn’t it much simpler to just ignore them?

I also think you’re wrong about Arden’s motives behind what she posts regarding her sexuality. (I don’t know hardy, so I won’t presume to speak on her behalf … not that Arden needs me to either) She is a very intelligent, witty, generous, compassionate, and yes, sexual, woman. I’ve seen nothing underhandedly egomanical in her posting style, nor do I believe she posts to seek validation as she strikes me as a confident person. And as someone pointed out, not even the majority of her posts are sexual in nature.

:: hits the submit button with trepidation – I hate the Pit ::

What is that acronym?

Bring Your Own Astroglide?

Well same here. I’m saying it was fun and different for a while. Still do it every now and then, but it doesn’t do much for me. Different strokes; different folks, I guess. Some people appear to really blow their load flirting online - more power to them. I think the gripe is more geared toward the abundence of flirting content in MPSIMS because it didn’t used to be like that… well not that excessive*!* And I’ll admit all those cum covered threads make my mouse button stick everytime I visit MPSIMS anymore. Quit cumming people!
Sue, you got it! … and don’t forget to bring your own Astroglide!

You are all stupid ninnies, and I hate you all equally.

As much as I don’t want to get involved here, I do partly agree with the OP’s point. It can be annoying when someone appoints themselves the board “expert” on a certain matter - especially when the vast majority of posters would disagree. And when they approach a topic as if everyone has just been waiting for them to post. But then, I’m an easily forgotten, bitter newbie, so feel free to ignore me.

I’ll say it again…

What I said was "Now I’m the expert on anal sex :slight_smile: "
as in haha, I’m kidding. I would never presume to be the expert on anything nor do I think people are breathlessly awaiting my posts.
I’m surprised I get replies sometimes…better not say that, it’ll ruin my rep as being egotistical.

Welp, all responses noted.

I still think a lot of folks are missing the point entirely, but that’s their option and I’m not losing any sleep over it.

Arden Ranger: I do apologize for cutting as close to the bone as I apparently did. I have a great deal of respect for you overall…especially having read a lot of the posts you’ve made regarding the OK bombing and your participation in the search-and-rescue and cleanup. Your post in the thread I referenced…it’s like (for instance) in threads about books, the people who make a point of saying, “Well, when I was 3 I had read the collected works of Descartes…” if you see what I’m saying. “I don’t have an LJ because I’m soooo uber-risque and stuff.” It’s a stealth-ego thing, that’s all. I do come across as a hell of a lot more harsh than I actually am. That can serve to sort the wheat from the chaff, though.

hardygrrl: Nothing you’ve said has changed my opinion about you an iota. I don’t care how cool your friends think you are. That’s why they’re your friends…because they think you’re cool. Everything else, though…if you care about my opinions this little, I’m not sure why you’ve been spluttering at me so heatedly - if ineffectually. I’ve been (as far as I can tell) reasonably even-tempered, and you have wished all kinds of abuse on me. shrug Your call. A little bit more originality would make your posts at least entertaining, though. Think about it, mmmkay?

Manservant Hecubus: Noted. So?

It’s the pickle juice, isn’t it? You put a teaspoon of dill pickle juice into the yolks when you’re mashin’ them up?

Good gawd, no. I use mayo, sour cream, regular mustard, deli mustard, celery salt and dill…no pickle juice, no sugar and DEFINITELY no gods-be-damned pimento.

And of course a dash of paprika on each as a garnish. :smiley:

No, I think you’ve hit the nail on the head, here. I’d like to completely set aside the debate about whether or not AR or hardygrl are guilty of this (and how much Hama herself might be seen to do the same). I think that generally speaking, some people get annoyed when any poster is perceived to be setting themselves up as the the “expert” in anything based on their unique personal experience. Be that suffering, christianity, martrydom, poverty, rock climbing, sexiness, dysfunctional families, wealth, love gone wrong, kinky sex, auto repairs, or making art out of toenail clippings. It just galls.

Now, what one does to set up this perception in other people may be overt–especially in the “suffering” and “martyrdom” department, to my chagrin–or it may be subtle, such as suggesting that other people better hold on to their chairs before they read what you’re about to write. Even if that’s done in jest, it’s gonna bug some posters more than others.

I am saying this without passing judgment on the appropriateness of this thread or the accusations therein. I’m just expanding on what I thought was really perceptive in LDG’s comment.

But I think the tone of this thread has turned completely, and the real debate still lays before us. I am sure I speak on behalf of the pimento lovers everywhere when I say Hama’s vicious prejudice against pimentos must not go unpunished. Surrender your deviled-egg recipe, bitch, or suffer my wrath. Or send me some. Two dozen fed-exed to my home address by Sunday, whore. And don’t try to skimp by counting the halves as complete eggs.

Um. Not long ago, the board seemed to have a field day over the interpretation of :rolleyes:. And now, gosh, I’m gonna have to do it all over again with this: :slight_smile:

I read and posted to the anal sex thread back a bit, and when I read the above-mentioned and much-disputed line, hardygrrl, I read it as “I’m now the expert on anal sex, joy, hoorah!” (not hahaha).

Also, since I have nothing to add on this new deviled-egg front (aside from: ewwwwww), I have to ask about this new-fangled “just ignore so-and-so’s posts” advice. Anyone really do this? Does it work? Or [sub]admit it![/sub] are ya like me, readin’ things just to add to your annoyance every time ya see dagnabbit so-and-so’s username?

It’s not prejudice. Prejudice is an unreasonable fear and hatred of something. Pimentos are little red slimy tangy nasty harbingers of death. That’s not prejudice; it’s FACT.

And I already surrendered the recipe. Geez, there’s no pleasing some people.

And I don’t recall having given you PERMISSION to criticize me. I hate pimentos, OKAY? And if it makes you mad that I like them, GOOD! I hope the thought of me hating pimentos gives you NIGHTMARES!!! And I’ll cut the eggs any way I want to. I know you never mentioned it once, but I have to defend my rights, damn your eyes.

And I’m not a whore. I’ve never charged money. Not even once.

ANYhow…

Personally, I’ve gone through a bit of change since I started posting here…I used to do the flirting thing, but realized that I didn’t want to have a reputation as a broad who wouldn’t shut up already about her sex life…so I stopped. I understand that some people like that kind of attention and as I’ve said innumerable times, when they keep the flirting IN the flirting threads, hey, more power to 'em.

To restate my opinion: I have no problem with overt flirting in flirting threads, or with overt ego. It’s the manipulation of people into thinking you’re cool…or what have you…or, rather, the manner of speaking which implies that this is true without stating it outright…that irks me.

No one has to please ME, though. These threads I’ve started let me vent and, honestly, it’s funny as hell when people blow things way out of proportion and start spewing incoherent insults at me. Blatant Ego: It makes me feel superior. Even though it’s an illusion, it’ll do for now.

And now you have a reputation of someone who just won’t shut up already. Be proud.