Ancient Surveyors, how did they do it??

New to the list. First post. Tear me apart.
I believe the key to all this is geometry. Simple as a compass and straight edge. Monkey simple. Plumb bob simple. Pre-calculus, pre-mathematics, pre-algeba, pre-Euclidian geometry from which all arose long after the building of the complex.

The geometry alone accounts for a command of ratios, rigour of replication to scale, proportions in base units, relations of area and volume, aesthetics, harmony.

This is firmly demonstrated by Brunes, and his method is plumb bob simple. When you add to this idea the nature of Hermetics, and the protection of knowledge from the profane, it is easy to see how tables could be developed for use by the yearly surveyors of the fields without their knowledge of the underlying geometry. Practical needs of the society could be met with only the higher ups of the priesthood knowing the foundation principles, even though those principles capable of simple demonstration with simple tools.

I hand a design drawing to a machinist. It calls for a cylinder to me made 1.7145 units in diameter and 5.1435 units in length. He can apply his skill to produce the part and never realize the 3:1 ratio which he has accurately constructed. The numbers given do not convey the founding principles of the design to the ones who actual make the artifact. The key to the whole design might be held within the heads of a few masters privy to the higher foundation principles which were plumb bob simple and so demonstrably true to have been sacred. And thousands of highly skilled journeyman builders wouldn’t have any more clue than we do.

Something might well be learned by following Garry’s idea on the stones, the ratio of lenght/width/height of each one. The actual measures of a few hundred might demonstrate common denominators inherent and shared by every stone, regardless great variance of mass, volumes, or surface areas of any two particular stones, and all of them as mini subdivision of the whole. As the microcosm, so the macrocosm. Pure and simple hermetics. Simple as a plumb bob.

The simpler an idea, the closer to truth. If your theory be convoluted and difficult of description, it is either wrong or something very simple is missing which, if found, would remove the convolutions and reduce the description to a demonstrable example.

T.P. Stephens, aka Doktor Tim, 2000

So–what did you want to debate, exactly? :confused:

My father is very ancient and a surveyor. If you specify a question, I will ask him.

I thought it was Trigonometry.

Administration, if you will kill this thread, I will find a more appropriate fourm for this.

Regards,

What is it that you are trying to debate?

Are you suggesting that there is a heretofore unknown mathematical symmetry to the component building blocks of ancient structures like the pyramids that could reveal some deeper meaning or purpose?

Or, are you merely observing that ancient artisans didn’t always see the forest for the trees? If it’s this, what is the point. I don’t think most construction workers are aware or need to be aware of the guiding principles that went into the blue print they are following.

Do you wish to know how surveyors made accurate measurements in the past?

Can you tell us what you mean or are after in a manner that would be as simple to discern as a plum-bob?

Who is Garry anyway, and why should we listen to his idea on the stones? :smiley:

BTW, welcome to the SDMB, Doc–don’t let the razzing discourage you, that’s just the way we are. You’ll get used to it…

:smiley:

>> Who is Garry anyway?

Yes, you know, Garry “The Surveyor”, … the guy down at the tavern who looks at women like he’s undressing them.

No, you’re thinking of Plumber Bob. Garry “The Surveyor” looks at women WHILE he’s undressing them.

[Moderator Hat ON]

Moving thread to General Questions.

[Moderator Hat OFF]