And a the new Doctor has a new regular companion

The official BBC site has news about a new ongoing companion character to assist the next (eleventh) Doctor.

From what I saw of her in “Fires”, she is a decent actress. But it seems that they producers are definitely targeting a much-younger demographic with the series now - I’m slightly afraid that the show will become a sci-fi version of “Twilight.”

Well, I’m hooked on the show so it’s likely I would be watching all of next season no matter who the next companion was, but it’s a little disappointing that they seem intent on sticking to the formula “1 Doctor + 1 Younger British Woman”* when there are so many other possibilities.

Are there so few actresses in Britain that they have to recycle them? Out of five companions,** all but the first had appeared previously on the series.

• The actress who played Donna was a whopping 3 years older than the actor who played the Doctor, and it was a refreshing change.
    ** A companion means someone who has traveled with the Doctor on several consecutive adventures, no matter what the BBC says.

I just realized I have a typo in my post-line. (must.remember.to.PROOFREAD!) If a mod could be so kind as to remove that dangling ‘a’, I’d be much obliged.

Umm… it always was a show for children. The great thing about it was the added jokes & stuff for adults.

My guess is that they prefer to go with people they know a bit on new Who. The shooting schedule is apparently quite intense. I know its only 13 or 14 shows a year, but there’s not a huge ensemble cast so the lead and companion are onscreen for much of it, and there are only a few fixed sets so there’s a lot of being up and about and filming at odd hours. Another factor I think is that in the UK Who now has a huge media profile, so there’s a ton of publicity to do - skewed towards kids in many cases - so they need to be sure the cast are going to be good at that too. I suspect that some bit parters are on the show being checked out for possible future roles. I read (on Outpost Gallifrey, so y’know give this the credence it deserves) that Karen Gillan was one of the few non-leads taken out to Rome when they filmed Fires of Pompeii. She was probably being checked out.

Of course, Matt Smith is the wild card in all this. If Moffat liked him immediately, then he gets the benefit of the doubt from me. I’ve only seen him in a couple of interviews and he did strike me as being a bit, well, Doctor-ish.

ramble ramble pub all afternoon ramble ramble

The next Doctor will be 15 years old, with a 13 year old companion.

The one after that will be 10, with a 7 year old companion.

Yay!

I’ve seen people say this, but having watched several episodes now, I’m not convinced. It appears to me to be clearly aimed at adults. It’s not particularly deep or anything, but there’s nothing in the show that appears particularly kid-friendly.

Why do some people claim it’s always been a show for kids? I think Wikipedia said (last time I read it) that the show was originally concieved as a kids show, but it looks to me like they got away from that.

In the UK it has gone out between 6:45 and 7.30 (ish) on a Saturday evening (BBC schedules are all over the place). That’s a kid-friendly slot, and it is a kid friendly show, but as you say there’s often a lot else going on.

It’s an interesting excerpt. First comment says it’s a kids’ program–then (most of) the rest of his comments go on to explain more or less explicitly why it’s not a kids’ program.

I must admit- done right, that could be pretty damn cool. For a bit, anyway.

I think some of the kid show konfusion komes, er, comes from a fundamental difference between Doctor Who and American kid shows. Over here they are generally low-budget crap, usually with no violence and, if there is some, nobody dies. The Doctor danced when, at the end of an adventure, he realized that, for once, nobody had died. Doctor Who is dark, even sad. American kid shows mostly don’t do dark and the sadness is wiped away when Fluffy the Bunny is found safe and sound.

Another difference is that Doctor Who is smart and most American kid shows are stupid. There are exceptions, from Rocky and Bullwinkle to Animaniacs, but those shows also had people questioning whether they were really kid shows.

ETA: And bitter. American production companies don’t do bitter, but Doctors Nine and Ten are bitter and damaged.

Very true. And also, are there any American kid shows that have a prominent gay (well bisexual, well anything-sexual really) heroic character? I imagine something like that would be hugely controversial here. Has there been any problems with it in the UK?

From decades of watching BBC shows on PBS, I’d say, “yes.” Good God, they run through the same actors and actresses over and over. What’s Peter Davison done since his role as the 5th Doctor? Okay, the same dramatic and comedic roles he did before his immortality, but that’s not my point. Or is it? Never mind. :mad: :wink:

New girl companion. Fine. Let’s just hope he can stop with the moony eyes, kissy face stuff.
It really slows everything down, not to mention it makes me wanna barf.

If I’m out of date on this, please excuse me. I haven’t really tuned in past Rose.

About the kid’s show bit …

What I find funny is that Torchwood was created as a vehicle to pull some of the adult Doctor Who demographic into, while keeping Doctor Who itself a bit more kid friendly … yet I find Doctor Who the more mature show of the two while Torchwood often gets a bit infantile.

As to the new companion - I just wanna see new eps! I do think it could be interesting to see a companion who physically appears much older than the doctor but I do not expect to see it. Donna probably pushed that as far as they will ever go.

Are they going to just let the River Song storyline die? If she is to be a companion then they really need to do it before Alex Kingstonstarts to age too much, hadn’t they?

And a female Doctor eventually could also be interesting with the right actor in the part.

Of the four primary companions, Rose is the only one he really got moony-eyed over. Martha suffered from unrequited mooniness, while he and Donna went from adversaries to friends without ever getting romantic. In fact, if the kissy-face stuff annoys you, you might really enjoy season 4.

Mmm, a redhead companion. I see my tastes are being catered to.

You’re not the only one. I said before that Torchwood is a bit like the late night spin off of yoof soap opera, Hollyoaks. The concession to late night drama resulted in nothing more than snogging and the inevitable “Are you coming? No, it’s just the way I’m sitting” joke (in the first episode to boot).

As for the demographics for Doctor Who, IIRC it was originally intended to be somewhat educational in nature, hence the episodes dealing with Earth of the past, such as the Doctor’s first trip to Pompeii.