And the Next Video Game to be Turned into a Movie Is. . .

What about Donkey Kong or Space Invaders?

Oooooh! Galaga the Motion Picture!

All I have to say is that if they make a Metroid movie, the DVD should have the Justin Bailey option.

There’s no special code, but when you go to take your seat in the theater, you do this little dance before you sit down. It goes, “up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right…” :stuck_out_tongue:

Nah, I’d base it around the Zero Mission remake, if anything. Samus would do some scenes in a… jumpsuit? flightsuit? what exactly would you call that? Only kind of full-body clothing that would be practical under the armor suit? And she’d be a blonde. Think of it as throwing a bone to the continuity/cannon nitpicks.

If I had total artistic freedom, though? Samus wears something akin to what a female boxer might wear under the armor. Sports bra and shorts, not a sexy leotard, not a spandex cat-suit, and noe a french-cut bikini. She’s be unusually tall and have a slightly muscular frame, not be built like a Sports Illustrated swimsuit model. Her hair would be cut short, simply as a matter of convenience. She’d have a prosthetic right arm (perhaps from a previous encounter with Ridley?) that she detaches the lower part of while wearing her armor’s gun-arm (becuase honestly, where the hell does her hand go the rest of the time? In the gun barrel?). She’d be tough and practical, without being mannish. She might even have green hair or some other subtle physical abnormality to indicate side-effects of the Chozo treatments she was given (which are supposed to have given her some psionic abilities, which are necessary to use their armor).

But basically I’d deliberately avoid making her into a sex-object. It always bothered me that Lara Croft is used as an example of an empowering woman when she’s T&A in an Indiana Jones story. Samus and Chun-Li were bad-ass women, and while they did get objectified (SF anime shower scene, Super Metroid 3-hour ending), at least it wasn’t as gratuitous as Croft.

Yes, I’ve spent a lot of time thinking about just how I’d make the movie.

An easy way to kill the 'dactyl:

As for the movie…has there ever been a video game-based movie that was halfway decent, let alone good?? DOOM sucked, Street Fighter was awful, and I’d rather gouge my eyes out than think about Super Mario Bros…

(Earthbound would probably work, though!)

As in, Mother 2 Earthbound? Maybe, it’s a really neat little story, but I think the Hollywood urge to make it a generic kiddified cartoon flick would be overwhelming.

The Mother series as a whole all have a really interesting, quirky manner to them. Coupled with the darker and/or melancholy undercurrents to the story, and they’re really interesting examples of storytelling. I could almost see a Tim Burton (provided someone could get him to abandon his characteristic visual style for one movie*) type making an excellent little artsy film series; or a killer anime series for that matter.
To give you examples, Mother 2’s true story behind the mian villain is way too dark, and the villain itself too grim, to work in a purely kidsy movie, and that’s what American companies would want too make. Mother 3 has one of those “everyone dies” endings, so that wouldn’t work either. Now if Studio Ghibli wanted to make a trilogy of anime movies, that’d be awesome.

*Don’t get me wrong, I like a lot of his stuff, but it wouldn’t work for Mother. Just about everything else about his directorial style strikes me as being able to pull it off though.

Feast your eyes!

Very funny! J.K. Rowling said that one of her favorite escapes from writing was playing Minesweeper by the hour.

I hear Peter Jackson is going to direct or produce a Halo movie in the next few years.

I’m addicted to Tetris, but I just don’t see how you could make a good movie out of it.

I’m still holding out some, but not a lot of, hope for American McGee’s Alice to make it to the big screen.

Hmm, a Tim Burton Earthbound movie? I could see that kind of working, actually. The Mother series is like Tim Burton’s style; a colorful exterior with a dark, sinister undercurrent. If they did the main villain right it would be way too disturbing for a kids movie though, and it’d be hard to capture what I thought was the best thing about the final battle:

You, the one holding the controller, ultimately kill the final boss. That’d be difficult to work in movie form…

And damn you for playing Mother 3. I hate NOA for not releasing it outside of Japan. Why Nintendo, why???

I think a Time Crisis movie would be kinda cool. Really the only thing we need to worry about is that the gunfight choreography is good and that Wild Dog is played by someone badass.

Another vote for a Half Life game, if done well. Not sure who you’d cast as Gordon Freeman, I’m thinking maybe the guy who played Goose on Top Gun if he’s not too old for the role. The next problem would be: Would Gordon Freeman talk? How would the movie work if he couldn’t or didn’t talk? Needless to say, the G-Man would have to be someone cool and slightly off-putting. My vote is for Christopher Walken.

I think Portal would at least make for a cool short film, though maybe not with the ending used in the game, the physics of which just don’t make a lot of sense to me.

You know, the random-ass “Flying up through the ceiling as GLaDOS asplodes” thing.

I’d go for a System Shock movie. Two requirements:

1. SHODAN be absolutley freaking the greatest villain crazy psycho cyber-she-bitch in movie history

2. The hero has to wear a t-shirt with a smiley face on it. :slight_smile:

I had a great idea for a Metroid movie as a kid, I bet it would kick ass (and only slightly look like an Aliens ripoff).

Scorched Earth would make the best movie of all time.

Off the top of my head, it would need Rutger Hauer in it. Maybe David Warner too.

Oh, and a post-apocalyptic sci-fi battle-epic will need some badass hot chicks in it. Eva Mendez and Eliza Dushku come to mind, along with Claudia Black and Lucy Lawless. :cool:

Too bad it wasn’t made 15 years ago, when they still could have used Sigourney Weaver and Linda Hamilton. :stuck_out_tongue:

And Jessica Alba, with Christopher Walken and Jeremy Irons as the bad guys!

Leisure Suit Larry.

With no questions at the beginning to prove your age.

I’d like to see Castle Wolfenstein, ending with the battle with Robo-Hitler (Hitler’s evil head kept alive in a massive, heavily-armed robot body). Though it’d be a little hard to realistically depict Blaskowitz repeatedly being shot almost to death and then completely healing himself with a first aid kit.

:: pines for Joust :: I adore that game.

I nominate *Centipede * for a movie.
Or the one with the aliens who march closer and closer down the screen towards you…Space Invaders?