Andrew Cohn, you are a jerk.

Save a high-velocity collision with a knee, I hope?

I had to explain to my poor, formerly naive husband, that people are in fact assholes. He just didn’t understand how some people could do the things they do and I basically told him it’s because they don’t think like he does. And assholes are always surprised when someone does something kind, because it would never occur to them to do that.

Are you serious? Maybe it is a geographical thing, but most backyard parties I have held are so that friends of mine will bring their friends, workmates, neighbors, etc. That is often the point. A chance to meet your friends’ friends.

A dinner party might be a bit different. But a backyard party that cost $500.00? I would expect that type of thing meant bring your friends and I will be happy to meet them.

At every backyard party I have had, I have met some new folks at my house. I am surprised to find that someone would think that unusual. Again, perhaps it is a geographical thing. But it is quite common in the south/midwest.

And the former roommate she refers to, Davy Rothbart from Ann Arbor, is the founder of this gem of detritus discovery, and I met him about 5 years ago and shook his hand and swooned over him a bit. Huge nose, which all the ladies love. He’s been on Letterman, too.

I’ve thrown expensive parties, but I guess they were Detroit expensive, not L.A. expensive 'cause they were NOT $500.00.

Yes, but you meet them. Meaning you are introduced to the guests that your invited friends have brought.

In this case, the host seems not to know who this person is. Despite the fact that he met her a second time, all alone, when she came back the day after the party to fetch her wallet. Presumably she introduced herself again that time. And why couldn’t he ask her out right then, if he was attracted to her? No guts?

Also, her wallet, containing ID with her name, address, etc. lay in his backyard for a day (and in his hands while he stole her money) – why didn’t he just copy that down if he wanted to know it? This guy sounds like both a thief and an idiot!

Quote from Rothbart:

Sounds like a whole little circle of ethically-challenged people. Sigh.

With the $40 he stole, he could probably rent some attention down on skid row or in crack lane. :wink:

I’m surprised that obviously moral people such as yourselves feel that a reward is to be expected.

If someone returned my lost wallet my standards would require me to thank them. Possibly a bottle of wine or something of that value.

But if I returned one I think I’d be satisfied with a heart felt “Thank You”. I certainly wouldn’t think there was any obligation for anything more.

And in regards to the OP. Yup, he’s a shitbag.

How did anyone find out about this? If you steal from someone, wouldn’t you keep quiet about it?

He’s not just a theiving asshole, he’s an idiot. He’s let the whole world know what an asshole he is.

Well, I think that’s the point, Larry. Not only did this guy have the balls to steal the money from this girl, he then openly talked about it in an interview with a major newspaper. . . using his real name.

Idiot. Not only an idiot, but a complete asshole. I mean, he obviously sees nothing wrong with his actions.

I’m sure it has to do with Davy Rothbart, somehow. He is a contributor to This American Life and started Found magazine.